.410 for deer & turkeys

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I still believe that as I said before with today’s slug technology combined with current powders, used in a dedicated deer gun you could easily have a very efficient deer killer. Possibly a good 26-30 cal bullet in a sabot?

I heard the same claims that my 40 cal smokeless should never be used on deer too.

Does the right stuff exist today for a 410 slug gun? No, but someday maybe.
There is somebody online that makes a heavyweight 410 slug shells and a barrel . Big Dollars !!! I still say all things considered the 20ga is the answer . Ammo is everywhere and its effective to 200yds . Thats tough to compete against honestly . The 20 sabot uses a 45 260gr or so bullet and we KNOW that works . Kinda hard to ignore the 20 .

True. I have spent a ton of time and money making my Mossy a tack driving, deer slaying, custom sweetheart gun. Only to set it aside and get deeper into MLs.
There is somebody online that makes a heavyweight 410 slug shells and a barrel . Big Dollars !!! I still say all things considered the 20ga is the answer . Ammo is everywhere and its effective to 200yds . Thats tough to compete against honestly . The 20 sabot uses a 45 260gr or so bullet and we KNOW that works . Kinda hard to ignore the 20 .

Yeah, the single shot 20 Gauges. My cousin had one also. I borrowed it as a kid for the extra power. Kicked like a mule. I sometime see single shot 12 gauges in a local auction and wonder if I should try one. But the memory of that 20 gauge has held me back for many years.
The kick of a 12 is no worse than a muzzy. Even with high brass loads. My .504 white shooting 100 gns Pyro RS and a 460 gn slug is way worse.

The kick of a 12 is no worse than a muzzy. Even with high brass loads. My .504 white shooting 100 gns Pyro RS and a 460 gn slug is way worse.
I’ve never hunted/killed a wild turkey, but, I did inseminate domestic turkeys for 20 years as a side job, and you can kill one if those with a good flip to the head with your middle finger, so a .410 wouldn’t scare me on turkeys. Deer, different story. We shot a mule deer doe with a load of 00 buck at about 40 yards a few years ago, with a 12 gauge, and never found her. Blood everywhere, but she somehow gave us the slip. Only deer I’ve ever seen shot with a shotgun, and she wasn’t recovered. We just don’t hunt deer with shotguns out here, but, we were in a semi-residential area that the tag said, archery, muzzleloader, or shotgun only.

One thing you need to remember is, energy is “mass X Velocity2” a fast light bullet (.223) has, and I haven’t looked this up, probably as much energy if not more, than a heavy, slow moving slug, while the felt recoil is insignificant in a .223, not so on a heavy slow moving bullet.
I did just look it up and at 100 yards a .223 loaded at 3200 FPS, energy is 982 foot pounds while a .410 (not sure the slug) has only 782 at the muzzle
https://www.americanrifleman.org/articles/2014/5/20/410-slugs-for-deer-hunting/

I’ve never hunted/killed a wild turkey, but, I did inseminate domestic turkeys for 20 years as a side job, and you can kill one if those with a good flip to the head with your middle finger, so a .410 wouldn’t scare me on turkeys. Deer, different story. We shot a mule deer doe with a load of 00 buck at about 40 yards a few years ago, with a 12 gauge, and never found her. Blood everywhere, but she somehow gave us the slip. Only deer I’ve ever seen shot with a shotgun, and she wasn’t recovered. We just don’t hunt deer with shotguns out here, but, we were in a semi-residential area that the tag said, archery, muzzleloader, or shotgun only.
Not sure why that stuff is called 'buck shot'. It should be called raccoon shot or something else. I can't imagine shooting anything like a deer with it. A Rifled slug barrel and Hornady 300 sst slugs is what i use.

Not sure why that stuff is called 'buck shot'. It should be called raccoon shot or something else. I can't imagine shooting anything like a deer with it. A Rifled slug barrel and Hornady 300 sst slugs is what i use.
This was 20+ years ago, and like I said, we don't really hunt deer with shotguns out here. The proclamation I believe listed a 20 gauge or larger with 00 buck minimum. It's been too long ago to remember all the particulars. I think that was all we could find at the store. I don't know if I have ever seen shotgun slugs for sale out here. They may have them, I've just never really paid much attention.
I agree a .41 caliber would be great for deer, and would love a .41 White. Not trying to say the .410 shotgun can't be a good killer at close range, because I'm sure it can. Heck a .22 short can kill a beef cow.
For myself, and this is just my opinion, I'm just skeptical as to whether or not a .410 shotgun slug has quite enough behind it to get the job done reliably, or if everything has to be perfect. Which can be hard from the bench, let alone from a blind or stalking situations.

This was 20+ years ago, and like I said, we don't really hunt deer with shotguns out here. The proclamation I believe listed a 20 gauge or larger with 00 buck minimum. It's been too long ago to remember all the particulars. I think that was all we could find at the store. I don't know if I have ever seen shotgun slugs for sale out here. They may have them, I've just never really paid much attention.
I agree a .41 caliber would be great for deer, and would love a .41 White. Not trying to say the .410 shotgun can't be a good killer at close range, because I'm sure it can. Heck a .22 short can kill a beef cow.
For myself, and this is just my opinion, I'm just skeptical as to whether or not a .410 shotgun slug has quite enough behind it to get the job done reliably, or if everything has to be perfect. Which can be hard from the bench, let alone from a blind or stalking situations.
I looked it up, right out of the Utah big game regulations 2019 book:
Rifles, airguns, shotguns and crossbows Utah Code § 23-20-3 and Utah Admin. Rule R657-5-8 You may use a rifle or shotgun to hunt big game, but your firearm and ammunition must meet the following requirements: •Your rifle must fire centerfire cartridges and expanding bullets. •Your shotgun must be 20 gauge or larger, and you may use only slug ammunition or buckshot that’s 00 or larger in size.

We didn't know any better.....

Back