.44 300 xtp vs. .45 300 xtp

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ohboy

Reaction score
Is there a difference between the .44 cal 300gr xtp vs .45 300gr xtp in performance other than the .45 is larger. Will the .44cal shoot better because it is a longer. Do they have the same ballistics because they are the same weight.

Ohboy

From the Hornady website:

.430 300gr XTP...BC = .245
.452 300gr XTP...BC = .180

I would think that the .430 XTP would be a great combo with the MMP green sabot.

Has anyone tried this bullet and if so what were your results?

I shoot both and have had excellent results shooting either of them. When I shoot the .430 I use a T/C Mag Express Sabot. I have no idea who makes them, but they work very well for me.

I shoot both the 240 & 300 grain.

The .44 is what I shoot outta my A/H 420. They shoot great. The .45 I had trouble loading they fit alittle tighter. Out of that gun the .44 xtp shoots better than the 45 ,But in my savage the .44 shoots terrible.

No more than they cost they are worth trying. You'll know in the 1st 5
shots wether they'll shoot for you or not.

might want to see what razorback thinks. i made a similar post awhile back, and he indicated that the .45 cal bullets and the black MMP sabots tend to produce a little better results?

n8dawg6 said:
might want to see what razorback thinks. i made a similar post awhile back, and he indicated that the .45 cal bullets and the black MMP sabots tend to produce a little better results?

My experience is that 50 x 45's shoot better than 50 x 44's. I arrived at this conclusion shooting several of my guns. The conclusion is valid based on the results I had. Your results could be different.

If the increased BC of 44 cal bullets compared to same weight 45 cal bullets interests or intrigues you by all means try them :mrgreen:

Ohboy

From the Hornady website:

.430 300gr XTP...BC = .245
.452 300gr XTP...BC = .180

There isn't going to be this much difference in the BC either... I've shot all kinds of .452 and .430 300gr bullets. In some guns the .430s have had GREAT accuracy but .430s seem to do their best with lighter powder charges. As powder charges go up the .452s seem to have the edge.

I used to use the .430" 300 gr XTP in my Marlin MLS-54. I killed a doe with it in '04. Deer did not go very far.

That seems to be a big jump in BC from a .44 to a .45. Would this be true in most bullets? Like the A-frame .44 240 grain and the .45 265 grain?

From what I've read and experienced,the thinner the walls of the sabot (or gasket,which is what it actually is)the better the accuracy.
Especially true as the velocity increases.
Therefore,the .45 wins!! IMHO. :think:

Let me add another factor to this discussion. I bought a box of the .430's because of the better BC. But then I found that I couldn't find a sabot out there anywhere that was thin enough for them to load in my gun. When I tried a .451 with a Crush Rib sabot, VOILA! It slid down the barrel with relative ease! :D
So you may have to try both before you find the one that works for you.

IM jaybe :)

Latest posts

Back