445 Super Magnum

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Ordered an MGM 445 super magnum from MGM I had a 12" barrel on a Contender that would shoot 2" groups at 100 all day Provided I did my part. With De. new law I ordered a 460 barrel got it first then decided on the 445SM for my contender frame as it has the best trigger of any Encore or Contender I own It was done by a gentleman named White but have since lost his contact information I have been shooting 240 grain Speer bullets but never game tested I think I may want to try 180 grain anyone have any loads for lighter bullets Thanks Lou

Is this a rifle barrel or a pistol barrel?

If it’s a rifle barrel your going to more than likely have to shoot heavier bullets. Pistol bullets are designed for pistol speeds. When you put a pistol cartridge in a rifle barrel speeds usually greatly increase. For example a 200gr Hornady out of a 460 pistol is about 2200-2300fps. But out of a rifle barrel it’s 2800-2850fps. That bullet won’t hold up at that increased velocity. That bullet can start going to fast for that twist rate too. You might have to slow it down to get good accuracy. But I would say that 180gr bullet would more than likely explode on impact on a deer. Unless you use reduced loads.

As far as triggers on a TC encore or Contender go. There really is no reason to put up with a bad one. You can get a kit from Bellim TC’s and do it your self pretty cheap. There are YouTube videos showing you how to do it. Bellim also has instruction books you can get with the kit. Haus of Arms will do the trigger jobs for you also and they was all trained by Bellim.

I have shot several deer with a 44mag pistol with Hornady 240gr XTP’s. The 240 works great in the 44mag. But the 445 super mag in a rifle barrel is getting real close to a 444 Marlins velocity. The 240gr XTP will not hold up in a 444 marlin they come apart. The 300gr XTP’s are to hard for a 444 they don’t ever expand. The 265 Hornady bullets was designed just for the 444. In Hornady I would try a 240 probably and see how they work. But the 265gr FTX should work too.

In a Barnes solid copper the 200 and 225gr should both work.

I ordered 100 Barnes 225 solid copper bullets they only give velocity below 2300 FPS out of a 24" barrel my barrel is 27" the velocity really doesn't matter that is fine (Velocity doesn't make accuracy

Accuracy is what is most important. But when you take a pistol cartridge that was designed for a short pistol barrel and a certain twist rate. Then put that same pistol cartridge and twist rate in a rifle barrel. Where you bump up the velocity 500-600fps. That extra velocity can kill accuracy. It don’t happen in all cases but it can be a factor. If you have any accuracy issues you might want to keep that in mind. Try slowing it down a little and see if accuracy gets better. I would think the Barnes 225gr bullets would be a great bullet for the 445 though.

The 240gr XTP would be a good bullet too. I’m just not sure how it would hold up if you hit a major bone or something at that velocity. Shooting broadside thru the ribs it would be great. But if you had to take a quartering to you shot and punch thru the shoulders. I’m not sure how it would hold up.

The 445 super mag is a bad little round. I have a CVA Scout pistol in 44mag that I have though about getting bored out to 445. Because I have a Ruger SRH in 44mag I prefer to use. The only reason I haven’t got the Scout bored out is because I have a 454 casull too. So I may just get rid of the Scout.

The barrel is a 1-20 twist Nothing hurts a try but a failure Going to order some Hornady 265 grain bullets plus some others hate to do it this way (Cost) I wish some bullet makers would sell 10 piece packs I end up with a load of partial boxes of bullets

They might be a bit on the tough side for your application but at least its a reasonable price to test them. Speer also has a 240gr softpoint and a 240gr HP. Rons test of the 240gr looked good to me.

The 240s though are 100 packs are of course more $$$$s

Well I got the barrel from MGM and it's going back the hole for the pivot pin in the barrel is so far off no way can the barrel go on the frame. I lined it up with the hole as best I could and there is a gap between the frame and the chamber end of the barrel I have bought numerous barrels from MGM and this is the worse I have ever seen I spoke to MGM and they said sent the barrel back with the frame We'll see what they do

That sucks, I have a few MGM barrels also and have never had any probablem with them. Every barrel I have got from them is a real shooter.

I wonder why they wanted your frame sent in? I guess all your other barrels fit that frame right?

I would think that MGM has a Encore and Contender frame laying around. That’s what seems curious to me. I would tell MGM if it was me. I want that barrel to fit that frame, I don’t want that frame modified to fit that barrel. I have 2 Prohunter frames and all my barrels fit both frames fine. So there is no way I would want one of my frames modified just to fit that one barrel.

I’m not saying you couldn’t get a new frame from TC with probablems. But if you have had it for a while and used multiple barrels on it. Then it’s a barrel probablem not a frame probablem.

I have had several barrels on this frame all fit fine no problems opening or closing Last barrel I had on it was a 45-70 fit was fine I am going to put a note that I don't want my frame modified in any way Lou

Back