45-100

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
For the last 20 years all I have done between shots is run ONE damp patch through the bore. Repeat.....I said DAMP, not wet. No dry patch needed. Damp patches are kept in a small tupperware container. The liquid I use on the patches is a 50/50 mixture of anti-freeze and water. Accuracy from shot to shot is excellent. Quick, easy, no fuss, no muss. Bore pigs and their clones have never proven to me to have a benefit. I've used this method in 45-100, 45-90, 45-70, 40-70, and 38-55, in B.P.C.R. Silhouette, B.P. Ctg. Mid and Long range. No offence intended to anyone. X
using PP bullets?

what make is your rifle

What matters is the bore, not the rifle itself. My bbl and special PPB chamber is chrome moly, created and installed by Lee Shaver. It's a perfect .450" bore. Post some pics of your gopher fail and maybe I can spot what you done wrong.

For the last 20 years all I have done between shots is run ONE damp patch through the bore. Repeat.....I said DAMP, not wet. No dry patch needed. Damp patches are kept in a small tupperware container. The liquid I use on the patches is a 50/50 mixture of anti-freeze and water. Accuracy from shot to shot is excellent. Quick, easy, no fuss, no muss. Bore pigs and their clones have never proven to me to have a benefit. I've used this method in 45-100, 45-90, 45-70, 40-70, and 38-55, in B.P.C.R. Silhouette, B.P. Ctg. Mid and Long range. No offence intended to anyone. X

The advantage of a bore pig/gopher is one pass deep fouling control extreme consistency from shot to shot. This also saves precious time during a match that's better used for aiming and doping the wind/mirage. These wipers go in WET (with a trailing dry patch, mostly to dry the chamber) and they do an extremely thorough land/groove cleaning that allows shot-to-shot consistency.

I dunno of anyone, anywhere, doing this consistent a fouling control with just one pass, and why lots, if not most, of the dedicated match shooters use wipers and not just patches.

I'd say, won't know until you give wipers a try and see how they stack up against other fouling control processes and methods. I wasn't all that hep about wipers when they first came out, but after a season of using BACO wiper pigs, that totally changed my mind about 'em, and got even better results with gophers.

But, hey, it's all good, do whatever works best for you, as it should be. :thumb:

PS - I started off using a Tupperware container for both wet and dry patches, what a pain. A Patch Popper is SO much easier and faster for retrieving patches. Again, a no-fumbling time saver for match shooting.

DSC_5019-vi.jpg

What matters is the bore, not the rifle itself. My bbl and special PPB chamber is chrome moly, created and installed by Lee Shaver. It's a perfect .450" bore. Post some pics of your gopher fail and maybe I can spot what you done wrong.
the only thing i know is it pulls the washer off the brush, as it slips past the lock nut,

the only thing i know is it pulls the washer off the brush, as it slips past the lock nut,
Then something is wrong with yer gopher builds. Are you using the exact components I've posted??? Get some pix up of your gopher(s)!!!

gophers.jpg

OD of the washer is to larger. It catches where the case rim seats

Your bbl's bore is .450"?

Are you SURE you have the exact components I've listed?

Something is wrong with your gopher build, not sure just what it is.

I have some more B458N brushes coming direct from Dewey. I'll video the gopher build and use.

The advantage of a bore pig/gopher is one pass deep fouling control extreme consistency from shot to shot. This also saves precious time during a match that's better used for aiming and doping the wind/mirage. These wipers go in WET (with a trailing dry patch, mostly to dry the chamber) and they do an extremely thorough land/groove cleaning that allows shot-to-shot consistency.

I dunno of anyone, anywhere, doing this consistent a fouling control with just one pass, and why lots, if not most, of the dedicated match shooters use wipers and not just patches.

I'd say, won't know until you give wipers a try and see how they stack up against other fouling control processes and methods. I wasn't all that hep about wipers when they first came out, but after a season of using BACO wiper pigs, that totally changed my mind about 'em, and got even better results with gophers.

But, hey, it's all good, do whatever works best for you, as it should be. :thumb:

PS - I started off using a Tupperware container for both wet and dry patches, what a pain. A Patch Popper is SO much easier and faster for retrieving patches. Again, a no-fumbling time saver for match shooting.

View attachment 17757
I currently hold 13 NRA national records in Mid and Long Range Black Powder Target Rifle and every one of those records was set using one damp patch between shots. I used grease groove bullets for every record. I do shoot PP bullets in my L.R. muzzleloader occasionally but the greasers always shoot better for me. The M/L does require a different cleaning/wiping/drying proceedure. In a match, I can have a damp patch run down through the bore of my ctg. rifle before the target puller even has the target back up. If your system works for you, I'm happy for you but I have always tried to keep things simple during a match. As you guys know, there are other things like wind that need your full attention. X

Got another dozen Dewey .45 brushes in the mail today. In the image below - at the top is my bucket of Gophers that have each been used many hundreds of times over the last 4 years. Below the bucket are four of those many times used Gophers. Notice how the OxiClean gets the felts really white, but the brass nut and brush wire are blackened from BP residue. Below those four is a Gopher I just made, and laid out below that are the components and "tools" I use to assemble Gophers: a hex key that I ground a point on one end and hacked off the "L" so i could chuck it in a drill press to grind the point. A 3/16" or so nail would do just as well. This is used to wedge open the hole in the .45 VFG to better get it past the brush threads and over the brush "body". And a 9mm socket to to tighten the lock nut.

A video of the build and its use in clearing out a .45-70 Sharps barrel is forthcoming.

20211209_174803.jpg

Last edited:
seen that before don't know why mine won't fit

I'll ask again - are you using the Exact washer I said was required? This is not only about size, it's also about hardness/flexibility.

The one in the images you posted looks a tad large, or maybe the felts look a tad small.

I'll ask again - are you using the Exact washer I said was required? This is not only about size, it's also about hardness/flexibility.

The one in the images you posted looks a tad large, or maybe the felts look a tad small.
has same damn part ## I'm not a idiot to it, as i said pulls off over the nut some times, they seem to soft or hair to large

has same damn part ## I'm not a idiot to it, as i said pulls off over the nut some times, they seem to soft or hair to large

And yer soaking the gopher in water, then shaking off the excess before pushing it down the tube?

Back