45-100

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I really need one of those. That way I I have to worry about hunting down smokeless powder. Seems like my local gun store has a good supply of pyrodex.

There's always a bottleneck though and at the moment that would be primers.

You got to love those pistol cartridges that also go into rifles like 45 Long Colt.

It's a special era in the transition of firearms and I love firearms history.

I have a Pedersoli 1874 Sharps replica in 45-70. I'm considering loading it up with some BP and 405 gr cast bullets to, 1. see how it shoots them and 2. for nostalgic reasons. I made a drop tube and have all the components. My bullets are my own casting and are sized down to .452 then paper patched.
The only thing holding me back is making sure the rifle is cleaned of all BP fouling after a session.

I really need one of those. That way I I have to worry about hunting down smokeless powder. Seems like my local gun store has a good supply of pyrodex.

We'll be careful about mentioning BP substitutes on some of the forums that deal in antique single shot rifles. Some of them will act like you kicked the Pope in the boys.

To each their own when it comes to powder selection for muzzy or cartridge guns, there's some amount of subjectivity and it's all good. The only real need for real black powder I see is for flint lock pans, where the phony black is hard to ignite and black rules the pan roost.

All the black subs are a form of smokeless, sorta, kinda, maybe. Gun maintenance for subs and the real deal are literally the same - you get lazy, the metal gets ugly real quick and then oh boy what a not-so-fun cleaning chore.

I've always loaded real black, but have tried a variety of different subs a few times and they all do work quite well for the most part ... but color me holy black.

As to fouling control with cartridge black loads, pigs and gophers are THE way to go, particularly if yer in a match where time is of the essence. I started off with the BACO bore wipers and they sure do the job, but Brent's gophers are hands down lots better and cheaper in the long run. You can't buy gophers, you gotta make 'em, they're easy to build and here's the precise components required ...

gophers.jpg

Pigs and gophers clean up real quick if put in a container with water and a teaspoon of Oxi-Clean.

I would also recommend at least trying out paper patched bullets, too. There are a number of advantages with PPBs, such as there is no cartridge OAL since they're bore riders, the only need for a press *might* be for powder/wad compression and/or setting neck tension, long case life, ease of cartridge build, no barrel leading! The only *possible* bugaboo is finding the right fit of bullet (we call 'em "slicks" cause there ain't no grease grooves) and paper, but not at all too hard. I put together a tutorial a few years back on PPBs because most if not all the info about them was just lacking in one way or t'other.

http://www.blackpowdergang.com/ppb/ppbcartridges.pdf

Last edited:
The VFGs are pushed/twisted onto the brush, the neoprene washer goes over the threaded end and held tight with the lock nut.

OH YES ... you can drill out the holes in the VFGs to make 'em easier to get onto the brushes.

Last edited:
To each their own when it comes to powder selection for muzzy or cartridge guns, there's some amount of subjectivity and it's all good. The only real need for real black powder I see is for flint lock pans, where the phony black is hard to ignite and black rules the pan roost.

All the black subs are a form of smokeless, sorta, kinda, maybe. Gun maintenance for subs and the real deal are literally the same - you get lazy, the metal gets ugly real quick and then oh boy what a not-so-fun cleaning chore.

I've always loaded real black, but have tried a variety of different subs a few times and they all do work quite well for the most part ... but color me holy black.

As to fouling control with cartridge black loads, pigs and gophers are THE way to go, particularly if yer in a match where time is of the essence. I started off with the BACO bore wipers and they sure do the job, but Brent's gophers are hands down lots better and cheaper in the long run. You can't buy gophers, you gotta make 'em, they're easy to build and here's the precise components required ...

View attachment 17493

Pigs and gophers clean up real quick if put in a container with water and a teaspoon of Oxi-Clean.

I would also recommend at least trying out paper patched bullets, too. There are a number of advantages with PPBs, such as there is no cartridge OAL since they're bore riders, the only need for a press *might* be for powder/wad compression and/or setting neck tension, long case life, ease of cartridge build, no barrel leading! The only *possible* bugaboo is finding the right fit of bullet (we call 'em "slicks" cause there ain't no grease grooves) and paper, but not at all too hard. I put together a tutorial a few years back on PPBs because most if not all the info about them was just lacking in one way or t'other.

http://www.blackpowdergang.com/ppb/ppbcartridges.pdf
I couldn't get your pigs to work, O ring is to big

I couldn't get your pigs to work, O ring is to big

Gophers ain't pigs. If you built gophers using the exact components and build as I listed, and the bore of yer gun is .450", there should be NO problem at all. Are your VFGs .45? The initial push past the chamber will be a tight one, but doable even using a wobbly Delrin rod (as seen in my gopher video). Post pics of yer gophers.

Just out of curiosity, where are youse guys purchasing the empty, unfired, brass cartridge cases with which to load your ammo? It appears that both Norma & Starline brass has been in short supply for some time now.

Just out of curiosity, where are youse guys purchasing the empty, unfired, brass cartridge cases with which to load your ammo? It appears that both Norma & Starline brass has been in short supply for some time now.
you have to back order through Starline, then they will put you on the list and you will get them as they are made. It has been awhile since I have ordered any

Gophers ain't pigs. If you built gophers using the exact components and build as I listed, and the bore of yer gun is .450", there should be NO problem at all. Are your VFGs .45? The initial push past the chamber will be a tight one, but doable even using a wobbly Delrin rod (as seen in my gopher video). Post pics of yer gophers.
what make is your rifle

what make is your rifle
For the last 20 years all I have done between shots is run ONE damp patch through the bore. Repeat.....I said DAMP, not wet. No dry patch needed. Damp patches are kept in a small tupperware container. The liquid I use on the patches is a 50/50 mixture of anti-freeze and water. Accuracy from shot to shot is excellent. Quick, easy, no fuss, no muss. Bore pigs and their clones have never proven to me to have a benefit. I've used this method in 45-100, 45-90, 45-70, 40-70, and 38-55, in B.P.C.R. Silhouette, B.P. Ctg. Mid and Long range. No offence intended to anyone. X

Back