45/40 saboted

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I got a package from Fury bullets today containing two bags of bullets. 40 cal. 225 and 250 star tip crimp nosed bullets which I had ordered knurled, which on these is just a slight texture to grip the sabot. The 250's look extra mean with their extra length to width ratio. something to play with next time out.
REDEAR I'm so glad to be reading this thread. I've been thinkin about gettin some of the exact same Fury bullets in the same weights to see how they shoot in my Accura V2 .45. I'm currently tryin to get the 200gr SST's to group even up close & I think the MMP sabots aren't releasing when they are suppose to. I'm using T7fff 120gr bv. I ordered some Harvester light blue crush rib sabots to see if the 200 gr SST shoot any better & I'll dial the charge back a lil bit too. Are there 225gr & 250gr SST's in .40? I'd like to stay in that 200-240gr bullet weight in a sabot for my Accura. I think the Fury .40 cal 225gr star tip would be excellent in a saboted break action ML out to 250yds or so. Not that theres a dang thing wrong with the 200gr SST's

mntmonkey, great info there! I'm trying to send a pic to buck and doe hunter from my phone to post of the 40 cals in sabots but have never sent a pic with this phone before, might have to see if the wife can help.
I've found that when I need " Tech help " just ask the closest kid to stop playing with his/her own phone long enough to resolve my issue.

No there are not. The only 40cal SST is a 200gr. Best price ive seen in bulk is about $60/100 so the Fury in 225gr or 250gr aint all that bad on price and its a bonded bullet.
Thanks GM54-120 The SST's are an accurate, decent performing bullet for a very affordable price. Ya can't argue with that. The bulk deal is the way to go I agree. I just paid 12.36 per 20 which is just over the bulk price. The Fury .40 225 star tip are a great performing bullet from all I hear & are .88 each - surely nuthin to gripe about either. I really didn't want to increase the weight to 250gr considering I'm shooting a break action Accura V2 w/T7fff & only using this load for these tiny Fl deer & a coyote or bobcat here n there & only out to 200yds so the 200gr SST's, once I get them to group, should do fantastic. If I were to go after shootin big hogs or black bear I'd rather have a 250gr bullet then. But honestly, for the size of hogs & black bear I hear about in north-central Fl the 200gr SST's ought to handle them just fine as well. Provided shot placement is on point of course.

ninering62, If the light blue crush ribs don't do what you want, try the smooth light blue sabots out of the 45 with the 40 bullet. I have had better luck with the 250 gr. fury than the 225 so far. and the little 200 gr. yellow tipped shock wave I have shot has done very good too. A guy gifted me the yellow tipped hornady's and I just presume they are shockwaves? because of the yellow tip. either that or sst's. they were factory seconds and only had discolored jackets that I could tell.

next time my money gets right I'm gonna order some VV N120 for the sabots. Iv'e seen Vihta Vouri powder in stores but they never have the N120 so I need to order that.

Hawk Bullets sell a .403 did. 300 gr. and .401 180gr & 200 gr. bullets. I haven't tried them yet, but I plan to. i'm shooting a V2 LR .45 with no joy. I'd love to hear the loads that work for you. We have big canyons and big elk and big deer out here, so I'm looking for a heavier bullet.

ninering62, If the light blue crush ribs don't do what you want, try the smooth light blue sabots out of the 45 with the 40 bullet. I have had better luck with the 250 gr. fury than the 225 so far. and the little 200 gr. yellow tipped shock wave I have shot has done very good too. A guy gifted me the yellow tipped hornady's and I just presume they are shockwaves? because of the yellow tip. either that or sst's. they were factory seconds and only had discolored jackets that I could tell.
Thank ya kindly for the advise. In what way have ya had better luck with the Fury 250gr star tips than the 225gr star tip? What charge? What barrel twist? The Accura V2 is 1:22 I believe. I just got my order of Light Blue Crushed rib sabots today. They- the .40 cal 200gr SST's & these crush ribs ought to handle 120gr bv T7fff with no probs in this Accura V2.

ninering62, I am shooting a cva scout smokeless conversion with 4198 or 4227 powder and 1 in 20 rifling twist. the 40 cal fury's I shoot are the cheaper crimp nosed star tips 225 and 250. the 250's have grouped better than the 225's with those 2 powders. I think the best I could do with the 225's was 2" at 104 yds. I didnt take notes and can't remember for sure but I know I tried 4227 in the 41 gr range and 4198 in the 54 gr range. My setup is totally different than yours so I wouldn't compare my rifle to yours . my gun is a 45 cal 45-70 conversion.

ninering62, I am shooting a cva scout smokeless conversion with 4198 or 4227 powder and 1 in 20 rifling twist. the 40 cal fury's I shoot are the cheaper crimp nosed star tips 225 and 250. the 250's have grouped better than the 225's with those 2 powders. I think the best I could do with the 225's was 2" at 104 yds. I didnt take notes and can't remember for sure but I know I tried 4227 in the 41 gr range and 4198 in the 54 gr range. My setup is totally different than yours so I wouldn't compare my rifle to yours . my gun is a 45 cal 45-70 conversion.
Ok, I gottcha redear, thanks for layin all that out for me. I appreciate it. I see that we really are shootin two completely diff set ups, but from my humble perspective, knowledge/learning & the pursuit of it are all - I love the endless learning & getting to see how far ML's have come good things are nonetheless. Learning your set up & what you are using & how its working out may not help me right now, but it may help me help someone else down the road to make life a lil easier for them. Pass it along if ya will. I'm sure ya understand that as well as I.

i am running the 250 gr ST2 in my smokeless 45 and they perform very well on deer. I just haven't run them out to 300 yet.

Latest posts

Back