45-70 conversion with N110

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
qwak, I wish I was smart enough to post pics, but pm me if you need help.

Wool wads do help with sabot integrity. Also lightly knurling the bullets helps with preventing “drilling” the sabot. My standard saboted 45 cal load was 37g VV110/HLBS/195B or 200SST/Maine 45 cal wad. Appx 2530’/sec out of 26” PN 209 ignition. Virtually no temp sensitivity, clean and well sub MOA.
1st 2 shots can be shot as closely as desired then cooling periods required. Use only MLing cleaners if using sabots, no oil.
The often used load of 10/50 VV110/H4198 gets about 2710’/sec (26”/209). 4759/H4198 about 2670.

I'm hoping for 2500fps with little temperature sensitivity and decent accuracy. And, of course, I don't want it to chew up the breech end of the barrel. I'll need to do some measuring.

Did the measuring. I'm .2" to the good with a 35gr charge of N110. Haven't shot any yet and I'll start out around 32gr and work my way up to 35gr but looks like I'm good to go. We had 5" of rain here in 2 days so won't be able to get to where I shoot for quite awhile, the mud will gobble you up!

If 35 grains puts you .2 of an inch to the good on the chamber could 32 grains put you in a problem area? Unsure how much length 3 grains of powder is. Just inquiring.

I'm still thinking of putting a wool or veggie wad over the powder for a little more cushion. Just don't have any yet. Where's the best place to buy a small quantity of 45 cal veggie and wool wads?

Sagebrush is the lowest prices I've found. Also a few years ago I never thought I would ever use all the wads I bought from Eastern Maine 1000ct but recently purchased more. I like to shoot and only shoot sml's these days, though every load or bullet dictates weather or not it gets a wad. Just a fyi.

Last edited:
Fought the mud and made it to the range. Shot 33gr N110 behind a 200gr SST with light blue 40/45 sabots. No wad. Velocity was 2375fps with 17fps E.S. Fouling shot was an inch low right, next 2 shots in the same hole. Sabots look perfect. Recoil was noticeably less than when shooting 59gr H4198. :D:D

With sml I don't clean my barrel until it stops grouping.

I won't be cleaning it again for some time but I did clean the heck out of it after my previous session. Anyone have any thoughts what the maximum load of N110 would be, pressure wise, on a 45-70 CVA conversion using a 200 or 225gr bullet with sabots? I seem to remember reading that the sabots start getting blown at 34 or 35gr. I see no evidence of that at 33gr.

With N110 I would bump it 1/2gr at a time and see where it groups best and settle on that. I will take precision over speed every day. A wad may protect the sabot (some).

Just a consideration. You could put some farina/cream of wheat as a filler on top of the N110 charge then a wad or if using a sabot you may not need one. They did this in cartridge guns for reduced loads. It is an option if you absolutely can't find powder. Also there are some decent borescopes out there for under $100 that will serve your purpose. Hope this info helps you and others to not ruin a barrel like I did.:( I do not have any idea of what fouling with a filler like this would be like but I know powder doesn't get any cleaner burning than N110. IME
Would you please name some of them less pricey bore scopes, that are worth their money. Thank you Shorty...

I read a post on Doug's Message Board that said maximum for break actions is 45k PSI. I'm sure I couldn't get anywhere close to that with N110 before blowing sabots. Any thoughts?

Back