45/70 Cowboy

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Right you are on that point. It does not change the fact that some people did and may still drill primer pockets for black powder. I am asserting nothing as to it being right or wrong. If you are so sure it is wrong, why don't you climb down off your high horse and provide documentation proving your point. As it is, all you are doing is insisting we bow down to your, in your mind, wisdom.
I don't know of any winners that do , but that can be wrong . Some now put paper in front of the primer

Right you are on that point. It does not change the fact that some people did and may still drill primer pockets for black powder. I am asserting nothing as to it being right or wrong. If you are so sure it is wrong, why don't you climb down off your high horse and provide documentation proving your point. As it is, all you are doing is insisting we bow down to your, in your mind, wisdom.
believe that may be both ways , if you shoot competition much then you would see more that don't , then do , only proof I have. He can drill the holes if he wants but waste of time

WOW! "High horse". Bow down".
You need to relax.
All we do here is exchange information in a polite manner. You can agree or disagree but stay civil. X

You absolutely DO NOT need to drill the flash holes...........ever.
Annealing case mouths is a good thing.
Compression die is optional.
Yup. You need .030 or .060 wads. poly or fiber.........your choice.
You need a set of calipers to measure case length after you resize cases.
I use a lee case trimmer to trim cases. 45-70 cases should be trimmed to 2.095
A lee or rcbs inside/outside case chamfering tool is good to use after you trim cases.
Don't forget that you need to clean the cases after firing. X
Thank you for a definitive answer...An article I read for 45/70 Gov said those interested should read a book by J.S. & Pat Wolf titled Loading Cartridges for the original .45/70 Springfield Rifle and Carbine. I got a copy and the author stated that this was an extensive authoritative source for information for any falling block rifle in 45/70 Gov. He/they state the flash hole needs to be .096 in size. All their firing data is based on that as well as Federal #215 Magnum Primers. Hence my question. On page 76 of their book they even specify which drill bit to use(#41-.096 or 3/32" - .093). Seemed overkill to me but wanted to ask a veteran shooter since I am a complete newbie to this rifle and caliber.
Calipers and the I/O chamfering tool I have. I have a zip line case trimmer. Most all the loading data I have thus far says case length of 2.10. I am assuming a touch shorter is no problem, yes?

Thank you for a definitive answer...An article I read for 45/70 Gov said those interested should read a book by J.S. & Pat Wolf titled Loading Cartridges for the original .45/70 Springfield Rifle and Carbine. I got a copy and the author stated that this was an extensive authoritative source for information for any falling block rifle in 45/70 Gov. He/they state the flash hole needs to be .096 in size. All their firing data is based on that as well as Federal #215 Magnum Primers. Hence my question. On page 76 of their book they even specify which drill bit to use(#41-.096 or 3/32" - .093). Seemed overkill to me but wanted to ask a veteran shooter since I am a complete newbie to this rifle and caliber.
Calipers and the I/O chamfering tool I have. I have a zip line case trimmer. Most all the loading data I have thus far says case length of 2.10. I am assuming a touch shorter is no problem, yes?
.095 or .099 no crimp but slight taper crimp to hold bullet in from falling out, should be able to move bullet. Most cases Rifle will let you know. Yes hair shorter no problem as you said
never try to compress powder with the bullet

Last edited:
.095 or .099 no crimp but slight taper crimp to hold bullet in from falling out, should be able to move bullet. Most cases Rifle will let you know. Yes hair shorter no problem as you said
never try to compress powder with the bullet
When you say "move bullet" you refer to spinning/turning in case without inward or outward movement?
Unfortunately, I have no press setup yet. Have a Lee Classic and a handheld Lee press. No space for a mounted press as yet unless I do so in the Garage. Seriously looking at garage heater as it can get to - 20*F actual here. Used to be colder but "climate change" has made it downright balmy here these last few years;)

When you say "move bullet" you refer to spinning/turning in case without inward or outward movement?
Unfortunately, I have no press setup yet. Have a Lee Classic and a handheld Lee press. No space for a mounted press as yet unless I do so in the Garage. Seriously looking at garage heater as it can get to - 20*F actual here. Used to be colder but "climate change" has made it downright balmy here these last few years;)
It will sometimes depend on rifle but spinning in case, with new cases you have bullet fit tight and probably need seating die and expander plug

I'm going to have to get back to you guys on this. I have three .45-70s and all shoot a different load. My Pedersoli 1874 Sharps shoots a 500 gr spire point cast bullet. Will list the loads tomorrow.

OK her are my 45-70 loads:
1874 Sharps: 405 gr cast, 50 gr of Varget and 500 gr cast, 40 gr of IMR3031
1895 Guide Gun: 340 cast, 50 gr IMR4064 and 300 gr Sierra HP, 51 gr of H4198
1895SBL: 300 gr Barnes TSX, 47 gr of H4198
1895SS: 300 gr Hornady hP, 47 gr H4198*

*the Sierra and Hornady 300 gr HPs are interchanable. This is what I load for my cousin's rifle

Back