.45 ACP conversion cylinder loads

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wganz

Supporter
Supporting member
Reaction score
Getting a Pietta 1851 'Sheriff' model with a 5.5" barrel and a .45 ACP conversion cylinder. Reason going .45ACP is that I found a 1K box of deprimed & cleaned brass. If I'm prudent, that will last me for the rest of my days.
Desired load is to push a 200 cast bullet at 800 fps. From my previous use of Win 231, am going to start with 5 grains and work from there.
Couple of questions:
1) how does this cylinder headspace? with the case mouth against the front of the chamber?
this will tell me about how to seat the bullet and if a roll crimp is out
2) has anyone developed any black powder substitute loads for the .45ACP?
again, my desired load is a cast 200 grain bullet at 800 fps from that 5.5" barrel.

Since I don't think there is room for moon clips in a conversion, it will likely headspace on the case mouth.

I think you want to use the term "black powder pressure equivalent loads" and not "bp substitute" since that seems to mean using Pyrodex or whatever (which means just like BP then a case full with no airspace).

As far as BP pressure levels go, I don't reload pistol but I checked my favorite load reference site and Speer says 5.0gr gives 803fps with a 200gr lead SWC (flagged as max due to "held to popular velocities for target shooting but not a max pressure load"). Hogdon indicates that 5.6gr for 914fps is the max load, at 16900 CUP pressure levels.

45.png

Just found this not so new thread. Do yourself a favor and get a Chronograph. They are not expensive and will give you a true reading of your particular load and gun stats. The included cylinder instructions say to keep under 800 fps using cast bullets.

Back