45 BULLET/LOAD SUGGESTIONS

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Patrick McChristy

Reaction score
Looking for some hunting bullets & load suggestions. Getting close to having my H&R 45-70 ultra hunter 24" barrel converted to smokeless muzzle loader ready for the range. I have on hand CCI Large rifle magnum primers & a few powders. I hunt mid Missouri in cold weather zero degrees & up - I have seen some mention of temperature sensitive loads. PM me if you don't want to post it.

I was leaning towards the 40 caliber 200 grain sst & sabots to start, seems most places are out of stock now. Wondering about the 180 grain xtp
https://www.grafs.com/retail/catalog/product/productId/16730
& the 195 barnes

https://www.grafs.com/retail/catalog/product/productId/27663
any experience on these? Whitetails 200lb & under shots 50-200. Thanks for any suggestions

I, personally, would find a bullet to bore combo for your rifle.
My only smokeless gun is a .50 Savage so I’m stuck with sabots.
My Austin & Halleck shoots a .45 Parker Ballistic Extreme very well bullet to bore with 90 gns volume BH209.
Just one less thing to worry about in the field.

If using a sabot Barnes, Fury. and TC shockwaves are good for hunting, 56gr 4198 and 200-250gr bullets in a Harveser light blue sabot. About 2450fps and very effective at least to 200-250 yds. @ temps mentioned should be no problem.

If using a sabot Barnes, Fury. and TC shockwaves are good for hunting, 56gr 4198 and 200-250gr bullets in a Harveser light blue sabot. About 2450fps and very effective at least to 200-250 yds. @ temps mentioned should be no problem.
At 2450fps I would push that on deer to 400 plus yards.

It should have plenty of energy on deer, and I think you might be surprised at what you can do at 400. It’s really not that far.

It takes a good BC bullet to go much beyond 300yds. regular .45cal fury startips @ 2700fps+ will do 300 but keyhole @400. That is my experience. Better bullets will go the distance with less speed..

I've killed nine deer with XTPs all out of a Ruger Redhawk it probably gets maybe 1400fps with 240gr. All those deer went down way the stood. Longest shot 105 yards most were under 50 yards.

I've killed nine deer with XTPs all out of a Ruger Redhawk it probably gets maybe 1400fps with 240gr. All those deer went down way the stood. Longest shot 105 yards most were under 50 yards.

Apples and oranges here on the xtp application. SML speed is WAY over where the xtp will hold up. That's why I moved to the Barnes 195.

As his tattoo says, "no regerts".😎

My Daughter's RemPac will be loaded with 61 grains of Reloder 7 and a Barnes 195 grain Expander in a Harvester light blue sabot. I've read that RL7 can be temp sensitive but my Daughter's range limit is 150 yards so I don't expect any isssues.

I like an entrance and exit hole because I'm not much of a tracker. My butcher would put the recovered bullets in a tray on the counter. Every Barnes looked just like the advertisements. No lead splatter in the meat, and good penetration because they retain weight. Barnes gets away with lighter bullets because of the retained weight. Bullets designed for muzzleloader speeds may break up at SML speeds. Those 195's shoot well in my Accura .45.

Latest posts

Back