45 Cal Bullet + Muzzle Brake Combo for Accura LR-X?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

swavescatter

Reaction score
New to muzzleloading, but my boys picked up some leftover tags (mule deer and cow elk) so I'm taking the plunge. Somewhat impulsively bought a 45 Cal CVA Accura LR-X. Started reading and can't ever leave well enough alone...

Here's where I'm headed:
  • Pre-ordered the Arrowhead large rifle primer conversion kit
  • Found some BH209
  • Want a muzzle brake to help with recoil for my sons

The last bullet is what is throwing me for a loop. CVA recommends the Powerbelt ELR bullets, but I'm reading that there are issues using those with muzzle brakes? Seems that there were recalls on the CVA brakes, and also the Powerbelts - are these all settled?

Should I just go with Arrowhead bullet to bore bullets (XLD?) and size them myself? I like the LR customs muzzle brakes, but if any other muzzle brake (radial or whatever) will work with an ELR that seems like the most straightforward path.

Thanks!

Did you check the barrel to stock fit/alignment? There have been a few posts about really bad quality control in that area of the 45cal MR-X and LR-X rifles.

New to muzzleloading, but my boys picked up some leftover tags (mule deer and cow elk) so I'm taking the plunge. Somewhat impulsively bought a 45 Cal CVA Accura LR-X. Started reading and can't ever leave well enough alone...

Here's where I'm headed:
  • Found some BH209

The last bullet is what is throwing me for a loop. CVA recommends the Powerbelt ELR bullets, but I'm reading that there are issues using those with muzzle brakes? Seems that there were recalls on the CVA brakes, and also the Powerbelts - are these all settled?

Should I just go with Arrowhead bullet to bore bullets (XLD?) and size them myself? I like the LR customs muzzle brakes, but if any other muzzle brake (radial or whatever) will work with an ELR that seems like the most straightforward path.

Thanks!
Welcome to the Menagerie
CVA puts different muzzle threads on their guns to restrict ppl to only using their proprietary brakes.
Arrowhead might make a brake for the LZ-R .45 but I'm not sure. I know you can get a custom one made with your barrel threads.
The LRC MZ-Rex2 brakes have earned their high regard, I don't think you'll find a negative review anywhere on Levi or his brakes. They get used on high end custom SML builds for a good reason.
Go - bullet to bore & size your bullets. Thats THEE way to go IMHO.
As to the PB ELR's; I think many ppl do not seat them correctly & cause damage to the cup due to too hard seating pressure & its causing accuracy issues with them. Thats from me learning how to use them myself & getting them to shoot very accurately in a Paramount & Accura V2. I hope that you do not have any bore inconsistencies like ....... too many have reported.

so are MBs a bad idea all together or are there a few that actually do mostly good things ?

so are MBs a bad idea all together or are there a few that actually do mostly good things ?
There are EXCELLENT TOP QUALITY BRAKES. Brakes that WORK like they're supposed to.

It all depends on who's building them.

Here's a friend who's shooting a Remington Ultimate with 320gr bullets and a FULL CHARGE.
There is zero weight on his sled.
By the way, this is an LR Customs brake.

Another LR Customs brake on a 50BMG with a small lady shooting a 600gr bullet.

I have the mrx,
yes the forearm and barrel are slightly off.
Yes the bore is oversize.
Yes it is as accurate as you can be.
Yes everyone has their though and opinions.
Yes you can buy better quality.
And will those people that gripe and complain, stand in front of you and let you shoot at them because they say your gun sucks????
NO.

Big accura Mr fan here!!! The 50 cal 1 and 28s,,, none of us want to beat the 45s up,,, CVA designed the MRX 45 Cal to sell bullets.. they put bullet sales above rifle performance, that's really just an established fact. One great aspect of muzzleloading is all of us seem to develope an ability to get around a problem and make something work anyway,, I like that, but it shouldn't be that way, when I buy muzzleloader I shouldn't be stuck with having to solve its problems,, I should be however enjoying the rifles different aspects and abilities I found that hard to do with the mrx45 I had for a brief week . One thing I'll say my rifle did shoot the blue spaceship very well if that's all you buy the MRX for is to shoot their bullets I think you'll be happy

I have the mrx,
yes the forearm and barrel are slightly off.
Yes the bore is oversize.
Yes it is as accurate as you can be.
Yes everyone has their though and opinions.
Yes you can buy better quality.
And will those people that gripe and complain, stand in front of you and let you shoot at them because they say your gun sucks????
NO.
Amen. I second all of that. Besides the bore being over sized... If I can put an elr down there and see rifling on it, I cannot say my bore is oversized... If the bore was oversized how would it rifle a bullet with a .449" diameter??? People may have some strong opinions about this but that's just math. Which is completely unbiased... I'd even go head to head with targets as opposed to a duel... Lol

Amen. I second all of that. Besides the bore being over sized... If I can put an elr down there and see rifling on it, I cannot say my bore is oversized... If the bore was oversized how would it rifle a bullet with a .449" diameter??? People may have some strong opinions about this but that's just math. Which is completely unbiased... I'd even go head to head with targets as opposed to a duel... Lol
Actually my forend is completely fine too... Sorry side note.

Obturation.

Here's where I'm headed:
  • Found some BH209

Thanks!
Anarchy Outdoors muzzle brake and elr's work absolutely perfect. Was worried about the brake influencing the shot and having negative effects but nope. Not a single issue with it. It's louder at the muzzle obviously, and being an Omni port design it will have a dust signature, but it does reduce the recoil enough to make it a little more pleasant to shoot. Plus it's cerakoted to match your rifle which is a plus.

Here's where I'm headed:
  • Found some BH209

Thanks!
AS far as I'm concerned the ELRs suck as far as accuracy is concerned. I'd put a brake on your rifle and forget the ELRs. My Scout came with a radial brake and shooting 300-325 gr bullets the recoil is very light.

Back