.45 cal inline load for Western Big Game

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Terry Marcum

Reaction score
Looking for .45 cal inline loads for Western Big Game hunting. Cannot use smokeless powder so maybe BH 209. Thanks. Elk, deer, antelope.

Yup I knew about the 50 cal in Colorado for sure. In most other western states you can use a .45 for anything I think. NM, Wyo, Ut, Az. for comparison in my TC Inline I shoot 120 grains of BH 209 w a CCI mag 209 primer and a 250 grain Thor that has worked well on elk and antelope in Colo and Wyo the last few years. Haven't hunted with the Renegade 54 in a while but use 100 grains of Pyrodex and a 435 grain Buffalo Bullet in that.

The .45 is an inline with a 25" barrel w 1:32 twist. Doesn't look like Thor makes a .45 bullet which is too bad. I've had good luck with them.

I'd probably use BH 209 and in Colorado w my peep sight maybe out to 200 yds max. In other states where I can scope a muzzleloader I would assume longer distance.

There's western, and then there's western. Idaho requires at least .50 for elk, and no bh209, no pellets, no scope, no sabots, and all lead. It doesn't have to make sense, but them's the rules. Just make sure you do your homework before you spend your money, depending on which states you want to hunt.

Thanks Fred. Haven't hunted Idaho in a while and never w a muzzleloader. Elk hunted the Selway a couple times and shot a Rocky off Camas Creek in River of No Return rifle hunts. I'm looking to scope the .45 for Wyoming, maybe AZ, UT, or NM if I get lucky in the draw.

1-32 will greatly limit the bullet you can use. Its much too slow for the newer 40cals and conicals will likely need to be no more than 400grs.
Im not aware of an inline 1-32 45cal that is BH209 compatible either.

You will need a sealed breach ML for BH209 and preferably a 1-22 or 1-20 twist to get the most range from a 45cal.

Thank You Sir. Like I said I am a Colorado guy and been using muzzleloaders for 35 years off an on here for elk. Got an itch to try a .45. Thanks.

CVA has a sale on the Accura LR 45 1-22 twist for $450 shipped. Not sure if iron sights are possible on that model. It comes with a scope mount and the stock comb might be too high for open sights. A 1-22 will handle the vast majority of bullets available. That is the least expensive fast twist 45 option atm unless you got a bunch of Knight rifle parts.

Back