.45 CAL Knight DISC Extreme

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gregdaws

Reaction score
Knight Disc Extreme.jpeg

Hi there

I just recently picked up this knight .45 Disc extreme in really good condition. I'm planning on converting to bare 209 primers and BH209 powder. Can anyone help me with the following?
  1. Serial # = S001732. What's my rate of twist
  2. What BH209 loads / sabots/ bullets work well in this gun. Does anyone have a load data sheet.
  3. What primers work best in the knight / BH209 set up
  4. What issues have you had. Has anyone reworked / resized the firing pin or had to shim the primer pocket when using NFPJ breech plugs.
  5. Good ML suppliers seem in short supply North of the boarder and .45 is definitely not a popular caliber here compared to .50. Any recommendations for good dealers / smiths that work with inline's especially Knight ML's
  6. Any tips (please & thanks)
Knight was the 1st modern muzzleloader that I ever encountered coming to Canada from the UK. I thought it was the best and I still think it's amazing. Now I finally own one. I've been reading a lot of blogs from the early 2000's about issues that people had and any help is appreciated.

Thanks
Gregdaws

Last edited:
Its a 1-30 twist. The serial #s only apply to DISC Originals not Extremes.

Get the Lehigh Defense NFPJ adapter and bare 209 breech plug. Try them with a standard Win209 first. The better option is a custom fit Bestill breech plug.

Thank you. I'll look into that. Up until now I had really only been looking at Knights own kits.

Lehigh makes the plugs for Knight but the vents in the Knight plug are braised in and they are 416SS instead of 17-4. Lehigh is a better and cheaper plug.

Adapter Bare Primer Adapter, Knight DISC Elite/Extreme
Plug (out of stock atm) Breech Plug Body, Bare Primer, Knight DISC Elite, Extreme, Master Hunter, and Long Range Hunter

4 pack of vent liners is a good idea too and you will be set for a long time. The plug comes with 1.
https://sskfirearms.lehighdefense.com/all-products?product_id=282

Thank you again. I just checked out SSK and fired off an email to see when they will get stock in.

I really appreciate the help.

Last edited:
I mostly use a Knight 45 cal ‘Elite’ for hunting, similar to your rifle. I use the Lehigh breech plug, mine have removable vent liner, but no biggie. I use CCIM 209 primers, Federal get high marks too.

I like the ‘crush-rib’ sabot from Harvestor muzzle loading. It has just the right loading friction, not to hard, not to easy. I like the Barnes 195 grain copper bullet, next is the .400”, 200 grain XTP.

Last time I chronographed I got a 2218 FPS average, 115 grains(volume) if B209 powder. The trigger is easily adjustable, mine is about 2.5 lbs. The bolt comes apart for cleaning. Take care of the gun after shooting, should last a long time.

I mostly use a Knight 45 cal ‘Elite’ for hunting, similar to your rifle. I use the Lehigh breech plug, mine have removable vent liner, but no biggie. I use CCIM 209 primers, Federal get high marks too.

I like the ‘crush-rib’ sabot from Harvestor muzzle loading. It has just the right loading friction, not to hard, not to easy. I like the Barnes 195 grain copper bullet, next is the .400”, 200 grain XTP.

Last time I chronographed I got a 2218 FPS average, 115 grains(volume) if B209 powder. The trigger is easily adjustable, mine is about 2.5 lbs. The bolt comes apart for cleaning. Take care of the gun after shooting, should last a long time.
Thanks for the advice

Thank you again. I just checked out SSK and fired off an email to see when they will get stock in.

I really appreciate the help.
Hey Greg, I'm in Canada also, they wouldn't ship those conversion parts to me, where I'm at, we basically have nothing in the way of muzzleloader accessories

Hey Greg, I'm in Canada also, they wouldn't ship those conversion parts to me, where I'm at, we basically have nothing in the way of muzzleloader accessories
I got an email from Lehigh saying that shipping to Canada wasn't a problem. Maybe I should check it again but I'm sure that's what was said. I'll go look

I have one of these rifles with the fluted barrel. I worked up a load of two 50grain triple seven pellets (100 grains) and a 209 primer,
with a 200 grain ballistic tip .40 Hornaday bullet and a .45 sabot. I have taken deer at 150 yards with this load and never had an issue. Just my 2 cents.

I have a .50 Disc Elite. Not sure what the differences are between the Elite and Extreme, but I don't think much. Mine has a 26" 1:28 barrel, and Lehigh BH209 conversion. I did shim the primer pocket with one .005 shim to get a good seal. Great shooter and I enjoy it a lot. Probably the most used muzzleloader I've owned.

So, I managed to order a 209 bare primer conversion from Knight. I got hold of Justin Perry who made it happen. I'm in Canada and Knights site doesn't acknowledge Canadian orders plus with COVID there's no one taking phone orders. I was so impressed with the fact that the production manager took the time to call me and make it happen.

I managed to get the only jug of BH209 left in Hamilton, Ontario and I found 2 boxes of Federal 209A primers (which I have to drive to collect tomorrow) Now I have to find bullets. I have a collection of TC's, Barnes, Knights and Powerbelts but I want to buy by the box and purchase my Sabots separately. I would like to practice and hunt with the same load without it breaking the bank. I see some guys have used and swear by the Hornady .400 200gr XPT but I can't find them anywhere. I can get the 180gr XPT. Does anyone have experience and what should I be looking for?

You have received some VG time saving advice. They are VG ML’s. I took a muley buck this past season 190yds with one. Used Lehigh .458 (sized) 260 cu. 120 vol. Bh209 1 moa load in my piece.

19th of February I get a call from Justin Perry to sort my 209 conversion. Friday the 26th it's at my door in Canada. That's pretty cool in theses times. Great people and great service !!

Now I just need to find bullets and sabots. I can get a box of either .400 180gr or .410 210gr Hornady XTP. No 200gr to be found anywhere North of the border. Most people seem to favor the 200gr XTP. Does anyone have experience with the 180 or 210gr bullets in a .45 DISC 1:30 twist. Can I even get a sabot that will accommodate a .410 bullet, I can't find one. I hear bad reviews of the Hornady in terms of fragmenting on impact due to velocity. Does anyone have an opinion?

I don't necessarily need it as hunting round. If the round works in the field then that would be a bonus. I'm looking for a bullet that I can get in a bulk box (if I can find a bulk box) to shoot and get to know my rifle. I don't want to be constantly purchasing packs of 15 or 20 bullets complete with sabots and paying ridiculous prices.

I've had great advice from you guys and I enjoy this forum. If anyone else out there shoots .45 and can add to the thread I would be really grateful.

Greg

Last edited:
I dont think youll find sabots for the .41. But what about heavier bullets? Like 250 or even 300 grain? 300 were easier to find for me. I think the 250xtp is a better all around bullet. Especially for deer. Although the xtp mag is super tough if you are worried about fragging. I personally love a 300xtp (non mag). I dont need to shoot it at blazing speeds and it'll knock the snot out of anything. If you are shooting hot look for the 250xtp mag. Or maybe 240xtp mag?

The Fury .400 , 225 gr ST, light blue crush rib, with 110 Volume of BH209 shoots darn good out of my knight 45 1-20.

Thanks guys.

I'm sitting here LMAO at the idea of blowing the snot out of something. Does Hornady .400 180gr work in my 1:30 twist Knight. Michiganmuzzy, you have one. What do you think. Am I going for Light blue crush Sabots or tan MMP?

Really it's a moot question as the only thing I can get up hear right now is the 180gr .400. The last 2 boxes at my LGS. I'd like to try the Fury but shipping and getting stuff across the border is such a pain. I have been really lucky as companies like Knight, Badger Ridge & Lehigh will send a lot of stuff.

Does Hornady .400 180gr work in my 1:30 twist Knight
Yes it should.

Am I going for Light blue crush Sabots or tan MMP?
Try both, the MMP Tan will be tighter.

I have been really lucky as companies like Knight
Both Lehigh and Knight offer a few bullets that should be ok in the 1-30. 185gr Bloodline or Control Fracture and the Knight 175gr Redhot.
https://www.muzzleloaders.com/product/bloodline-45-cal-185-grain-muzzleloader-bullets/https://www.lehighdefense.com/all/400-controlled-fracturing-muzzleloader-195gr-bullethttps://www.muzzleloaders.com/product/red-hot-45-cal-175-grain-muzzleloader-bullets/

Back