.45 CAL Knight DISC Extreme

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes i think it will work just fine. Both the lt blue and tan sabots work fine in my 1:30". I like the blue just for being a bit easier to load. Like GM54-120 says, try em both.

Thanks to everyone that has added to this thread.

I think that I have the info that I need to move forward. The big thing for me is continuity. When I picked the rifle up the one thing that I failed to take into account was the popularity of the Caliber (or not) .50 is the go to caliber in Canada, then .54 and finally .45. I was given a selection of T/C, Barnes, Red Hot, Hornady and Powerbelts but not enough of anyone bullet to really focus on getting to know the rifle .45 supplies here almost non existent right now

I'm going to go with the Hornady 180gr, light blue crush and tan MMP sabots, BH209 with 209 bare primer conversion and Federal 209A primers. I managed to get two boxes of the .400 XTP.

Thanks again. Your help has been much appreciated.

Greg Daws

Im not a fan of the Powerbelts but the 45cal 300gr Powerbelt Platinum will shoot and it hits pretty hard. Just dont go over about 80-90grV of BH209.

1 in 30 twist is on the slow end for a 45 so shorter bullets like a 180gr XTP should work great in your rifle.

Thanks. I managed to pick up 2 boxes from my LGS. I couldn’t find 200gr anywhere in Canada.

After about 1" long the 1-30 will start to struggle. Bullets shorter than that in most cases should be ok. A few guys have managed to get longer bullets to shoot but it will require more muzzle velocity. The 185gr Bloodline will shoot and shoot pretty good too.

Nosler also offers a 40cal 200gr. None of the bullets for 10mm or 40S&W though are all that great for a 45cal ML. They are too fragile unless you keep the impact speed down a little. Cecil at PR Bullet out of Canada has a few you might like but IMO the prices are high for a lead bullet. He offers a 220gr Dead Center that may shoot in a 1-30.
https://www.prbullet.com/shop/products_view.php?sSKU=0005

I looked at Epps bullets and it's the price that puts me off. By the time I add shipping it's a lot. I managed to pick up 200 of the 180gr XTP so I can spend time killing paper and getting to know my rifle. When I'm comfortable with what I am doing then I'll look at other bullets. With the shortage that we have right now I think that I am lucky to have what I got. The alternative is scratching around looking for anything going irrespective of brand or weight. .45 isn't popular in Canada at the best of times.

You should have no issues getting the 180s to shoot. IIRC i shot quite a few of them way back when i had my DISC Elite 45. Seems to me i got a little better accuracy at around 90gr by volume of BH209 but 200s shot better at around 100gr-110gr. Triple7 loads would be really close to that too.

Latest posts

Back