45 cal T/C Hawken loads

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gle3105

If ur gonna be dumb, ya gotta be tough!
Supporting member
Reaction score
I just acquired an older pristine 45 Hwkn. Blued. Not a kit. Never paid attention they had a side clean out screw opposite of the lock side.
Regardless I would appreciate hearing on sabot loads and ,,,,,,and okay round ball too.
I don’t shoot black powder. Subs only.
Let’s see where this goes. LOL

I just acquired an older pristine 45 Hwkn. Blued. Not a kit. Never paid attention they had a side clean out screw opposite of the lock side.
Regardless I would appreciate hearing on sabot loads and ,,,,,,and okay round ball too.
I don’t shoot black powder. Subs only.
Let’s see where this goes. LOL
You dont mention twist, also sabot loads would just crap up your barrel ! Several of my 45 s (GM and TC barrels ) all use patched lubed RB in the slow twist and in the 1-18 (thanks to Bob Hoyt) and 1-48 shoot paper patch /G.G .The only thing they have in common is all launch with black powder as designed (no subs) Ed

Haven't owned a 45 yet but I have tried sabots in some of my 50 cal sidehammer guns. Never found one that worked for me. Too hard to load in a clean barrel, never mind trying to reload one in the woods.
Patched ball or conicals only.
Pyrodex is ok but I always prefer real black.

I use 777 exclusively. No problems with reliability, accuracy or ftf. And I shoot a lot. Just keep everything clean n oiled like it should.
That’s not a clean out screw. It is a screw used for a plug after drilling the flash channel. Don’t take it out

Thanks Willfish. I didn’t give thought to that machining process for the flash channel. Thanks for that clarification .
Not new to front end loaders.
Bought first one 1971. 44 Navy brass frame.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
To those suggesting black powder and round ball only.
My Lyman GPR 1:66 shoots XTP .430 green sabot with Pyrodex superbly and reliably.
No round ball.
Not black powder.
I found an early T/C manual listing their 45 loads.
Thanks for the replies.

Sabot loads in a 1-48 twist 45 will be almost impossible. Even a 155 grain .40 can needs a faster twist. I had such a rifle a few years ago. Couldn't get accuracy with any of the sabot loads I tried.
However. That twist will work for a 250 grain .45 conical. Use an overpowder wad and some Holy Black and that rifle will be a terror to the local deer.
Best of luck and congrats on a fine rifle!

I use 777 exclusively. No problems with reliability, accuracy or ftf. And I shoot a lot. Just keep everything clean n oiled like it should.
That’s not a clean out screw. It is a screw used for a plug after drilling the flash channel. Don’t take it out

Willfish, I didn’t pay much attention to it but I realize now it is a Seneca. 13/16 bbl confirmed.
Was curious why this Hawken was so light in weight. LOL.
Early serial # 10xxx . 70’s ? I’m guessing.
Now maybe a .36

Sweet gun. Had several but did a recent house cleaning. I Shoulda kept the .36 probably. Seneca was a different creature to me as far as loads n what it liked/didn’t. I bought a lot different style n size of .45 cast bullets. If u decide to go that route let me know n I’ll send u a bag Of different stuff to try. If u stick with sabots I’m not much help there

Thanks Willfish. I didn’t give thought to that machining process for the flash channel. Thanks for that clarification .
Not new to front end loaders.
Bought first one 1971. 44 Navy brass frame.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
To those suggesting black powder and round ball only.
My Lyman GPR 1:66 shoots XTP .430 green sabot with Pyrodex superbly and reliably.
No round ball.
Not black powder.
I found an early T/C manual listing their 45 loads.
Thanks for the replies.
I have a traditions hawken replica that is the same way. 1 66 shoots 240 grn xtps and sabots well. No keyholing. Go figure.

Latest posts

Back