45 Caliber....which one??

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gsasc

Reaction score
Let me 1st say I am a fan of Knight rifles, But I am not opposed to going with something else. I would like to find a 45 Cal Rifle. I hear and read a lot about fast twist one in twenties and and slow twist 1 in thirties. I would like something that would be the most versatile in loads and bullet selection and sabots.
What do you guy's suggest???
As always thank you very much... Greg

Greg - I have a 1-20 Super DISC - Love it... but I am still trying to get a ULite in 45.

One thing remember that some places have a 50 cal minimum for hunting elk.

Well, from what I have been reading, you will want to stay away from the CVA rifles due to their exclusivity for Powerbelt bullets, at least with the Paramounts, not sure about their other .45 models. I have never had a Knight rifle, but I hear great things about them. Woodman Arms makes fast twist muzzleloaders, and they can make them for you with a super fast twist of 1:18. I haven't had any personal experience with those either, but I have only read good things about their rifles as well. On their website it states it will take 6-20 weeks to receive your rifle, so that might be an issue for you.

I guess it all depends on how light/heavy a bullet you want to shoot. I asked Doc White as I shoot his 45 cal White ML's with a 1-20" Twist. That twist seems to be fine with bullets weighing from 345 up to 510gr bullets. When I asked him if I was to build a 45 rifle and stick with bullets around 345gr, he suggested I go with a 1-22" twist.

For what it is worth my .45 caliber CVA's are 1:28, they shoot 1.25" groups out to 100 yards with 180 and 200 grain bullets.

OOPS! I forgot to show my Encore the love that it deserves.I thoroughly enjoy shooting my Encore and its not dreadful to clean.
I forgot about all of the aftermarket .45 barrels out there.

OOPS! I forgot to show my Encore the love that it deserves.I thoroughly enjoy shooting my Encore and its not dreadful to clean.
I forgot about all of the aftermarket .45 barrels out there.
Luke is a member here. I'll just say if I had that Encore, I'd be contacting Luke! :)

New tab (arrowheadrifles.com)

Have you made all the Bellm modifications to your Encore?

Bellm modifications?
I am unaware of these.
I used Bellm parts since the Encore first appeared. Mike has instructions on how to change to lighter trigger springs, basically make it an outstanding trigger. Also HD hammer springs, HD firing pin springs and HD locking lug springs. The HD locking lug spring really helps lock up the rifle but....... before you try changing it, get back with me and I'll tell you how its done without that spring heading off to parts unknown. Its not that hard, you just have to know what can happen and how to prevent it.

As for a 45cal barrel, get with Luke and he'll set you right up. You'll end up with a dual purpose barrel capable of all substitutes and also SML. Breech plug that won't wear out too.

I love my knight ultra lite 45, I have many, but I hunted the entire season with the ultra lite.I just couldn’t put it down.I don’t have the encore in 45 but in 50, I must say after doing the bellm spring kit it made the gun really sweet , they really are outstanding guns

Well I guess since I am such a Knight fan, Which models come with a 1 and 20 twist and which models come with the 1 in 30 twist and which twist rate would be the best as far as more selection in bullets and sabots? Accuracy????

Well I guess since I am such a Knight fan, Which models come with a 1 and 20 twist and which models come with the 1 in 30 twist and which twist rate would be the best as far as more selection in bullets and sabots? Accuracy????
If it were me, I'd only look at the 1:20 twist 45cal rifles. I'd completely forget about the weakest link, the sabot and shoot bullet to bore.

Shop Muzzleloaders - Knight Rifles

I believe the ultra lite 45 only comes 1 in 20. the mountaineer I believe you can get in 1 in 20 and 1 in 30. I have both rifles in 1 in 20,great guns . I prefer the ultra lite

Just curious, so I looked up the Ultra Light. Midway USA has the bare primer model 45 caliber in stock for just under a grand. Wow, must be nice for that money!
Way out of my budget.

It’s pricey, but in my opinion well worth it.I really love it.filled my freezer this year with it. I like all my guns, but if I had too sell them, the one I would keep is the ul . best to save up for it ,you won’t be disappointed

Latest posts

Back