45 Colt bh209

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I just loaded a box of 49. (i lost one somewhere)
37 - 200grain cast lead on bh209 .030 veg wad Aguila brass

12 - 240gr XTP on bh209 and .030 wad
Im going to try them out in my ROA, with a Kirst Konversion, tomorrow or Sunday.
16107685860795170481273411326933.jpg
Hope i dont blow up since it's my first time reloading. This load is right off of the Blackhorn website and falls within the limits Kirst says is safe for their Konverter.

How many grains of BH are you using? You don’t need a wad under the jacketed bullets. I don’t use a wad under cast bullets in a 45 colt either.

24grW under a 200 gr lead and 22grW under a 240xtp. I got 1000 of the wads and after filling and knocking over a couple cases, because i havent made a holder for them yet(also my cat likes to jump up on my lap while im sitting at the bench), i figured out that those cheap wads will save me a mess to clean up, and lost powder. BTW, cat fur gets in everything

I suppose the 209 will work. I use 8 gr of Unique cause its not an expensive powder.
I dont have any Unique but i have a few others that will work in it too. I wanted to try the BH in it since i already had my powder measure full of it and was curious how it would do. Turns out it's way better than the Aguila cowboy loads i started with.
Those are the loads i used.

That looks like a good load. My best for my 45LC in my 1858 is actually 18gr of black powder, 3F Kik I believe without looking it up. And a round ball. I enjoy that better than swapping cylinders and shooting cartridges. And it is super accurate. I haven't had as good of luck shooting conical's or cartridges.

I just loaded a box of 49. (i lost one somewhere)
37 - 200grain cast lead on bh209 .030 veg wad Aguila brass

12 - 240gr XTP on bh209 and .030 wad
Im going to try them out in my ROA, with a Kirst Konversion, tomorrow or Sunday.
View attachment 12363
Hope i dont blow up since it's my first time reloading. This load is right off of the Blackhorn website and falls within the limits Kirst says is safe for their Konverter.
hope bullet is setting on wad

Latest posts

Back