45 super disc scope recommendation

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scotts98rt

Reaction score
Was thinking about putting a 3×9×40 on it, maybe a leupold CDS or sabr. Reticle I have no experience with either. Any recommendations?

I prefer 2 X 7 X 44 FOR HUNTING the large objective and lower power give better vision at dawn and dusk. For my custom barreled 45 I have a 4 X 15 X44 for long range target. It all depends on what you wish to do with it.

Shoot a max of 300 yards. Is what I'm hoping for. Now before someone chimes in on ethics, or their prowess as a shooter/hunter stop. Looking for best scope/gun combo to shoot accurately at 300. Thanks.

I have the following leupolds a vx2 3-9x40 a vx-iii 2.5-8x36 a vx3 3.5-10x40 a m8 6x36 and fx ii 6x36. My favorites are the vx2 3-9x40 and the fixed 6x36's. I probably wouldn't go lower than 6 power on the upper end for 300 yds, for hunting it's fine, but at the range it sure doesn't feel like alot of magnification.

Really jealous of your gun by the way, you beat me to it by an hour. Congrats on a beauty!

I have a leupold 3-9x40 on mine. If I was planning on that long distance, I wouldn't hesitate to go to 10 or 12 power. As mentioned, you can't hit what you can't see. 12 helps you see better than 9 out there. I know Vortex has some good deals lately also on some of the higher power scopes.

I don't need it all the time, but one spot I hunt is 300 to the refuge boundry. It would be nice to have a aiming point instead of using hold over. Like the idea of the saber reticle, but wish they had it in a 4-16 or something like that.

I don't need it all the time, but one spot I hunt is 300 to the refuge boundry. It would be nice to have a aiming point instead of using hold over. Like the idea of the saber reticle, but wish they had it in a 4-16 or something like that.

Just a suggestion, but you may already be aware...…….. If so, please ignore.

I would suggest that there is a low number of hunters confident with taking 300yd shots at game with a muzzleloader. On this site you could probably count them on both hands.
Long shots are not to be taken lightly and always, wind is your enemy. What one might get away with at 200yds with wind can be a disaster at 300yds.
IMO you should always shoot at a spot (point) on the animal and not just AT an animal, which ends up getting way to many hunters in trouble. That said, I wouldn't suggest just the hold over method. Taking shots beyond 200yds requires time to adjust for every condition.
Because time is needed for long shots, I would suggest learning to dial your scope. Learn the drop of your bullet with an accurate charge and dial to it. It takes shooting at those distances, but shooting long range requires a ton of practice. Lots of practice. Its always better to be prepared.
Good luck on your quest.

Sounds like youre hunting out of a permanent blind or conditions are usually such that you use a bi-pod either prone or sitting if you want that much visual help . Personally i find that much magnification for field use a Liability .
A mature whitetail (my quarry) from brisket to back is 18" approx . . I use a military 1 x 6 with lighted slash marked crosshairs and an 18" scale built in for various ranges sized incrementally out for 600yds . (Avg man is 18" shoulder to shoulder too) It also has dial up turrets IF there is time . If you can get a nice buck to stay put for a bunch of foolin around i want to hunt There too !!!!!!! 1x for every 100yds really is sufficent to get the job done even at max range . Target shooting or really long range hunts are another matter IMO . I can step up to my 8 x 40 x 56 if things get that out of hand !!! Just dont breathe !!!
Im Not of the opinion that i Must pick which 2 hairs im gonna put that bullet between . No Need . I think the worlds military armourers got this right . Just my 2 cents......

Last edited:
Leupold makes a 4.5X14X40 30mm CDS side focus that if you shop around you can buy for 500.00. The scope will do 300, just make sure you and your rifle can. In the real world 300 yards is a long poke.

What is your price range?

On the lower end but still nice glass is the DiamondBack HP 3x12x42. There are still a few out there at Sportmans for $200 (in store only now)

MidwayUSA has some Viper HS 4x16x44s for $299 Thats a $500 scope with good eye relief too. https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1020880099?pid=183809

Once you get to the $500+ price point there are tons of nice scopes. So i would look hard at things like eye relief and tracking quality. There are quite a few scopes in that range with great glass quality but the tracking is just "ok". Some have great tracking but slightly lower quality glass.

Keep an eye on Natchez and EuroOptics for sales/deals. Ive gotten a scope with over $700 selling price anywhere for just $350. Price even smoked Amazons best pricing. Ive seen the Burris Veracity for under $350 and those are sweet scopes too. I think Natchez still has some Bushnell Elites for under $300 but eye relief on those is tighter than i prefer. Really nice glass though for that kinda dough.

I know of a nice Zeiss for under $500 and the V4s are getting excellent reviews. Its normal selling price is well over $700 everywhere. https://www.classicfirearms.com/zeiss-conquest-v4-3-12-44-zbr1-reticle/

What is your price range?

On the lower end but still nice glass is the DiamondBack HP 3x12x42. There are still a few out there at Sportmans for $200 (in store only now)

MidwayUSA has some Viper HS 4x16x44s for $299 Thats a $500 scope with good eye relief too. https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1020880099?pid=183809

Once you get to the $500+ price point there are tons of nice scopes. So i would look hard at things like eye relief and tracking quality. There are quite a few scopes in that range with great glass quality but the tracking is just "ok". Some have great tracking but slightly lower quality glass.

Keep an eye on Natchez and EuroOptics for sales/deals. Ive gotten a scope with over $700 selling price anywhere for just $350. Price even smoked Amazons best pricing. Ive seen the Burris Veracity for under $350 and those are sweet scopes too. I think Natchez still has some Bushnell Elites for under $300 but eye relief on those is tighter than i prefer. Really nice glass though for that kinda dough.

I know of a nice Zeiss for under $500 and the V4s are getting excellent reviews. Its normal selling price is well over $700 everywhere. https://www.classicfirearms.com/zeiss-conquest-v4-3-12-44-zbr1-reticle/
You could change your name to Mr. Optics. I bet you've forgotten more about scopes than I'll ever know.

HillBill is the ML/SML scope guy. He beats them to death. If they hold up on his rigs they should hold up great on smokers. I work hard on finding deals. Cant afford shelling out a ton of cash for optics more than once every so many years so buy the best you can when you can at the best price you can.

Since the mounting points are somewhat close on Knights you really need to consider that also. Very few nice rails are available. Murphy's is by far the nicest of them all but its gunna set you back $120+. Nice rings are gunna be another $80+ and up but there are a few that will work for less. Too short relief you get bit....Too long relief and its very hard to get comfortable with 2 piece bases on a DISC based rifle. So you need a scope with the correct relief to fit between those 2 mounting points or shell out the dough for a nice rail. The Murphy is made from 17-4 SS and is a true picatinny. You wont find better for a Knight.

Sounds like youre hunting out of a permanent blind or conditions are usually such that you use a bi-pod either prone or sitting if you want that much visual help . Personally i find that much magnification for field use a Liability .
A mature whitetail (my quarry) from brisket to back is 18" approx . . I use a military 1 x 6 with lighted slash marked crosshairs and an 18" scale built in for various ranges sized incrementally out for 600yds . (Avg man is 18" shoulder to shoulder too) It also has dial up turrets IF there is time . If you can get a nice buck to stay put for a bunch of foolin around i want to hunt There too !!!!!!! 1x for every 100yds really is sufficent to get the job done even at max range . Target shooting or really long range hunts are another matter IMO . I can step up to my 8 x 40 x 56 if things get that out of hand !!! Just dont breathe !!!
Im Not of the opinion that i Must pick which 2 hairs im gonna put that bullet between . No Need . I think the worlds military armourers got this right . Just my 2 cents......

We are about as far apart as possible. Which is ok.

18" ? Narrow that down to the actual quick kill zone and not one that allows the blood to pool inside the animal prior it to leaving an excellent blood trail, or a shot that allows an animal to run far enough on to neighboring property. We'll let the affects of wind go.

If you're shooting 300yds at a whitetail, or any animal for that matter, and don't have time to dial, don't take a "Hail Mary" shot! THAT is why so many animals are lost every year. Hunters shooting AT game instead of between "2 hairs". Its the most common mistake hunters make and a lot of game is lost every year because of that mistake.

"I PUT IT RIGHT ON THE BOILER ROOM AND WE COULDN'T FIND THAT DEER. I JUST DON'T UNDERSTAND HOW WE LOST THAT DEER. THE SHOT WAS RIGHT IN THE BOILER ROOM".

Shot placement is EVERYTHING on game. Now if you have hash marks in the scope and KNOW the range of each, its not necessary to dial for some seasoned shooters. But if you don't have time, don't take the shot.

If i cant practice the shot....I dont take the shot. I refuse to rely on calculators for estimating drop when shooting at game. Its really sad i see that question asked so many times on forums and you know very well some guy is gunna punch in the numbers and assume he can make that shot because the "numbers" say he can.

If i cant practice the shot....I dont take the shot. I refuse to rely on calculators for estimating drop when shooting at game. Its really sad i see that question asked so many times on forums and you know very well some guy is gunna punch in the numbers and assume he can make that shot because the "numbers" say he can.

This should be everybody's credo.

Back