.45 vs .50 caliber ?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My buddy flounder likes conicals !!! Thats Why we own Whites , one of The Best conical shooters Ever offered !!! True 200 yd accuracy with hammer of thor authority !!!

Last edited:
A 45 ML can shoot loads similar to a 10mm carbine all the way upto about a old 45-1xx Sharps type load. Its hard not to love a 45cal ML. Even a slower twist 45 (1-28 or 1-30) will shoot 400gr conicals or a little bit heavier. ATM i think you can still buy a Accura LR 45 1-22 directly from CVA for about $450 shipped. Its not exactly my cup of tea but if i was considering a CVA it would be at the top of my list until they offer something lighter.

The 50cal Lothar Walther barrel on what used to be my UF shot excellent, but it wouldn't hold a candle to a fast twist 45cal, which is why I don't own it anymore. I'm not saying I'm DONE with 50cal rifles, but I would never intentionally purchase another expecting extreme accuracy. Actually, according to my wife I'm likely DONE purchasing new rifles LOL

Well, at least she didn't say to stop buying used ones!!

Funny nobody mentioned the 54 ?? Lordy i LOVED my BAZOOKA !!! The 54 with a no--screwing--around dose of at least 110gr of powder with a 525 to 535gr conical just FLATENS deer like RIGHT NOW !!!! It was good to about 175 yds with a measured 1 in 27 twist . For closer work smaller bores just CANT COMPETE with it !!!! Unfortunately that barrel got ruined but its preformance was nearly legendary in my circle of friends .

Funny nobody mentioned the 54 ?? Lordy i LOVED my BAZOOKA !!! The 54 with a no--screwing--around dose of at least 110gr of powder with a 525 to 535gr conical just FLATENS deer like RIGHT NOW !!!! It was good to about 175 yds with a measured 1 in 27 twist . For closer work smaller bores just CANT COMPETE with it !!!! Unfortunately that barrel got ruined but its preformance was nearly legendary in my circle of friends .

That load would flatten em for sure - both the critter and shooter! LOL

I have a .54 MK-85, but don't shoot that heavy a load in mine and it still does very well.

InterArms or InvestArms made a 1-24 54cal sidelock. Cabelas sold them as Sporter Carbine Hawkins rifles. They were pretty but frankly thats faster than needed for a 54cal. A Rem700ML 54cal 1-28 with the right mods will shoot pretty much anything your shoulder can handle. That would include 600gr conicals. I got a ton of 54x50 red sabots. Ive shot some brutal loads of BH209 and a Rem 385gr CLHP with them. If Rem had not quit making that bullet i would have kept looking for a 700ML in 54cal just to shoot some thumper loads.

No one really makes a cool 50cal bullet anymore that will work in sabots. Hawks could probably make some but other than that its just the Fury's made for sabotless.

InterArms or InvestArms made a 1-24 54cal sidelock. Cabelas sold them as Sporter Carbine Hawkins rifles. They were pretty but frankly thats faster than needed for a 54cal. A Rem700ML 54cal 1-28 with the right mods will shoot pretty much anything your shoulder can handle. That would include 600gr conicals. I got a ton of 54x50 red sabots. Ive shot some brutal loads of BH209 and a Rem 385gr CLHP with them. If Rem had not quit making that bullet i would have kept looking for a 700ML in 54cal just to shoot some thumper loads.

No one really makes a cool 50cal bullet anymore that will work in sabots. Hawks could probably make some but other than that its just the Fury's made for sabotless.
I got the 50 700ml and a 54 barrel too for it . Gonna be a nice switch barrel rig !!!
I shoulda been a bull rider........:eek:

First choose the projectile you want to shoot, then get the gun that will shoot it best. For me that's a 45 but I like the diversity of having other calibers as well.
Solid advise. That's exactly what I just did as a matter of fact. I orig was more interested in buying a .32 or .36cal for BP or T7 with a fast twist barrel for conicals or jacketed full bore bullets. I got offered a deal on a TC Seneca orig in .36cal that was bored to .40 cal 1:37 twist. It shoots 10mm XTP & Spear Goulds like a tac driver with 70gr bv T7fff. I did some educating myself on what bullets will fly true thru that twist in that cal & what all was avail & affordable to shoot regularly for
( trigger therapy ) from bottom of it's capacity to the top. Lots of options in both cast lead conicals & 10mm pistol bullets, so I eagerly jumped on it. So so glad I did. I love this gun & it's gunna get used for a bunch of things for a long long time to come. In fact, I think it's more than fair to say, that when my old broken up body won't let me shoot any of the other ML's I have any longer, I'll still keep & keep shooting this .40 Seneca. Kind regards

Solid advise. That's exactly what I just did as a matter of fact. I orig was more interested in buying a .32 or .36cal for BP or T7 with a fast twist barrel for conicals or jacketed full bore bullets. I got offered a deal on a TC Seneca orig in .36cal that was bored to .40 cal 1:37 twist. It shoots 10mm XTP & Spear Goulds like a tac driver with 70gr bv T7fff. I did some educating myself on what bullets will fly true thru that twist in that cal & what all was avail & affordable to shoot regularly for
( trigger therapy ) from bottom of it's capacity to the top. Lots of options in both cast lead conicals & 10mm pistol bullets, so I eagerly jumped on it. So so glad I did. I love this gun & it's gunna get used for a bunch of things for a long long time to come. In fact, I think it's more than fair to say, that when my old broken up body won't let me shoot any of the other ML's I have any longer, I'll still keep & keep shooting this .40 Seneca. Kind regards
Idaholewis and original owner did that project together building those 40 Seneca rifles . Just a FYI if he didnt tell you.......

Idaholewis and original owner did that project together building those 40 Seneca rifles . Just a FYI if he didnt tell you.......
TY Sideshow. Yes he told me about the project with him & Lewis. I went & found the thread where they were talkin about it before & after they had BH do the barrels for them. I really like them both.

TY Sideshow. Yes he told me about the project with him & Lewis. I went & found the thread where they were talkin about it before & after they had BH do the barrels for them. I really like them both.
Pretty cool rifles !!! I really like how slim and trim they are too !!! Good decision to pick that one up !!! Congrats !!!

In many places you can not use a 45 to hunt elk, so for myself that makes the 50 essential for me...
In your situation, it's completely understandable & pragmatic. The sad shame is that the ppl that made those BS rules/laws restricting or limiting the cal for elk or whatever CLEARLY had no freakin idea of what they were doing & CORNFUSED as to why they were doing it. Those ppl have NO PLACE in our govt today. In fact, there is a lil sumthin sumthin in our constitution which clearly directs us on how we as Free American citizens have the right to view,deem,regard & address those rules/laws made unconstitutionally by ppl that had no idea nor right to make them to begin with & in reality, should never have been allowed to pass from jump street. Well, I guess that makes it purdy dang clear where I take my stand as an American & what I clearly, proudly stand adamantly against huh. The very non PC rebel cat is outta the bad. LOL Kind regards all

Latest posts

Back