.45 vs .50 caliber ?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks for starting this thread. I was thinking this the other day as I'm having decision paralysis on exactly what to buy in my first ML. Looks like I should start with a 45!

I would like to read how a 45 is a pound lighter. Unless that were the case, I see no reason to go below 50. The 50 cal is the standard size. For a first gun, always make the main stream, easy to feed decision. I think, no - start with a 50 and you may try more or less.

I would like to read how a 45 is a pound lighter. Unless that were the case, I see no reason to go below 50. The 50 cal is the standard size. For a first gun, always make the main stream, easy to feed decision. I think, no - start with a 50 and you may try more or less.

Depends on where you live, and what you plan to do? Out West here (in Idaho at least) We have a .50 Cal Minimum for Elk. If it weren’t for that RIDICULOUS Rule I’m not sure i would even Bother with ANYTHING besides my .45s? Other than the Fact that i Love Muzzleloaders in General, All Calibers of them. My .45 Cals will do ANYTHING a .50 Cal will, and More. I Shoot just as Heavy, and even Heavier Bullets in my .45s than in my .50s, (500-550 Grain in my .45s) The .45 Cals DOMINATE Most Competition Shooting (40s are Gaining Popularity) Look at 1,000 Yard and Beyond Long Range Competition, How many .50s do you see there? .45s are KING of Long Range Competitive Shooting

Photo Below Just for Comparison Sake

Don’t get me Wrong, There is Nothing in the World Wrong with a .50 Cal, i own SEVERAL of them, Along with SEVERAL .54 Cals, But they DEFINITELY Take a BACK SEAT to my .45 Cals. Again, a .45 Will do ANYTHING that a .50 Cal Will, and MORE

Here is 1 of my MANY .45 Cal Bullets (530 Grain Elliptical) Standing beside one of my MANY .50 Cal Bullets (400 Grain Lyman Plains)
45ZhzTol.jpg

When comparing 45 vs 50, The ONLY advantage I can give the .50 Cal over the .45 is if the Projectile in Question were Patched Roundball? In that Case The .50 Wins HANDS DOWN due to it’s Extra Weight/Mass. But when you get in to Fast Twist Bullet Rifles, Shooting Long Range, That Belongs to the .45 Cal

Probably not but if you prefer a light bullet the 40cal bullet will have a higher sectional density vs the same weight bullet in 45 or 50cal. Not a big deal if using a monolithic bullet like Barnes/Lehigh but can be a big deal if using softer lead jacketed bullets. If shooting conicals the advantage grows even more. A 350gr 45cal aint too bad but a 350gr 50cal lead conical is pretty light for caliber.

Thanks for starting this thread. I was thinking this the other day as I'm having decision paralysis on exactly what to buy in my first ML. Looks like I should start with a 45!
I gotta tell ya if i was truly really interested in this mz stuff id have started out a whole lot differently than i did . My first was a blued knight wolverine , the cheapest gun i could find brand new back then . It gave me fits !!!
Today , if i had the money , id be looking for one to Grow With and IT be able to do just that . The biggest promise i see for that out there today is the 45 Woodman Arms Patriot . Its lite , fully capable for all subs as well as smokeless with a bp change and Factory load data as time and experience grows . Its nitrided too . Ive always took care of my toys so they last . The rate of twist is the only thing i am unsure of But its not a deal breaker in the grand scheme . It may not stabilize heavy long bullets great but wont hurt many choices either . Its lite so recoil would become the factor on heavy pretty quick . Give it a look . It looks pretty nice to me .

Last edited:
The ONLY drawback I see to a .45 cal, is the local availability of projectiles.All kinds a stuff online, but unless you’re lucky enough to live by a distributor of .45 cal Ammo, your choices can be limited. I build my own molds, and cast my own slugs, and shoot primarily heavy lead, so not a problem here. I only own two .45’s, the rest are 50’s. I do want more .45’s though......

Not to be a downer, but there are some states that restrict what you can hunt with a 45. Seems silly to me. A 45 bullet from a 50 rifle is no different than a 45 from a 45. Not well thought up. Guess they were just thinking about round balls. Otherwise, it makes no sense.
Exactly!! A .41 is illegal in Utah, but you can shoot a .40 out of a .45 cal sabot and not be bothered...

My buddy flounder likes conicals !!! Thats Why we own Whites , one of The Best conical shooters Ever offered !!! True 200 yd accuracy with hammer of thor authority !!!
Ya dang near gave me a chubby there Sideshow. Lol
I feel the key to Docs success in one of the most accurate off-the-shelf rifles, is the shallow rifling. Bullet truly does fill and seal the bore shooting that heavy lead... if you ever want to get rid of Mity Whitey, make sure you give me a call...

I feel the key to Docs success in one of the most accurate off-the-shelf rifles, is the shallow rifling. Bullet truly does fill and seal the bore shooting that heavy lead... if you ever want to get rid of Mity Whitey, make sure you give me a call...
Hows about i look for his brother for ya ?? Mighty Whitey and i got a "Thing" going on !!!

For the average 50-75 yard shot at a deer, won’t matter a bit if 45 or 50 cal.
Depends on where you hunt, average here is double that then some. That’s probably the average for the archers... almost all my deer with a rifle (black powder or centerfire) are taken at plus 100 yds..

I would LOVE a .41 S91
They Absolutely Rock !!! I will keep my eyes peeled for one Stacy . I see them now and then . Ole Sideshow's a pretty good bird dog ya know......lol

Mighty Whitey has my birthday for a serial # and i Know was a gift from above . Theres an untold story on its accuracy i found . We'll talk one day.......:thumb:

Last edited:
I have both .50 and .45 cal inlines and both kill deer very effectively for me. I'm strictly a sabot shooter and I don't play with any of the big heavy lead. Inside of my 100 yard sight-in I can't see any advantage one over the other in accuracy and as far as killing power goes they both are superb. My .45 cal shoots both a 200 grain XTP and a Barnes 196 grain into the same holes at 100 yards without any scope changes using 70 grains weighed of 209 powder. Two of my .50's will shoot 300 grain ,44 cal XTPs and Barnes 250 Xpanders into the same holes at 100 yards without any scope changes using the same 77 grains by weight of 209 powder.

Both calibers are very flexible for me. Unless you're hell bent on hunting elk and may not be able to use a .45, I see no reason a .45 won't do just as good for you as a .50.
Great info. TY! Do you have any idea what your Muzzle velocity is using 70gr by weight of BH209, while shooting the .40cal 200g XTP & Barnes 196g? Are you still using that same 70gr load for deer hunting. Experimenting with my new .45 Accura MR-X. Do you find that 75gr or 80gr is too much for these bullets? (I own the same bullets/sabots & will be using BH209 also)

The industry standard is 50 cal. Anyone starting out should go 50. That is, as they say, a no brainer. For a 2nd or 3rd gun, you can start reading what individuals with a person agenda are pimping online. I pimp the big bores, others are pushing the limits with a smaller bore at longer range. A super velocity highly accurate solid copper is pretty useless if it fragments on impact under 50 yards! (hint... Hornady) On the other hand a person gives up a lot downrange for 100% knockdown kills with a massive bore size & pure lead in a round ball. So, start with 50 and a known good bullet like Barnes and then experiment with other ideas.

I like BH209, but; the right primer and breach plug is critical. There is no substitute as easy to ignite as black powder and no powders as corrosive as 777 or Pyrodex. Now, I am pimping my powders. Start with what everyone else is using. Dont leave a barrel killing 777 powder or pellet in the bore over a year or forget to clean that horrible stuff out.

A super velocity highly accurate solid copper is pretty useless if it fragments on impact under 50 yards! (hint... Hornady)
Im not familar with a solid copper Hornady that frags. Im familar with a Lehigh Controlled Fracturing that is quite lethal for deer and elk. As a matter of fact the only Hornady mono copper im aware of for MLs is the Monoflex and ive never seen anyone post about fragmentation issues. Even if you did blow all the petal off i bet it still weighs in over 200gr. Ive done the same thing with a Barnes 45LC 225gr XPB. Shot it at 2300fps+ and blew the petals off. The bullet still weighed slightly over 200gr and its extremely lethal on deer.

Same bullet design in the Hornady 45-70 ammo at over 2000fps. Same weight as the 250gr Monoflex ML bullet. 5 jug penetration and explosive expansion sure looks fine to me.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back