450 Bushmaster conversion?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I was just wondering if a cva scout 450 bushmaster is a viable conversion, or not? It has 1:16? Twist. Not sure what the actual bore size is. But i haven't heard of it being used as a conversion. Is it just too new or is there a downside to using it?

Biggest issue...you would need to full form bullets or find bullets small enough. Bushmaster is .451 grooves, not lands. You would need bullets that are around .442 for land riding.
45pistol.png

I was just wondering if a cva scout 450 bushmaster is a viable conversion, or not? It has 1:16? Twist. Not sure what the actual bore size is. But i haven't heard of it being used as a conversion. Is it just too new or is there a downside to using it?

My CVA Scout .450 BM is a 1:24 twist, as are all of the CVA/Bergara .450 BM's. Ruger uses the 1:16 twist in their .450 BM's, but my American with a Timney can't hold a candle to my CVA. Savage and others also use the 1:24 twist.

As GM mentioned, the groove diameter is for .451" diameter center fire, not .458" diameter like the .45-70 and most other smokeless muzzleloader conversions.

My CVA Scout .350 Legend has a 1:16 twist.

If you want to do a CVA Scout conversion, the .45-70 has a 1:20 twist with the .451"ish land diameter and .458"ish groove diameter.

If I didn't already have an excellent H&R/NEF Huntsman .45-70 1:20 twist conversion with brown laminate stock and outstanding trigger, I would have done one of the CVA Scouts years ago. I still might someday.

My opinion would be, it would be a waste of time to convert the .450, unless you want to full form size all your bullets to shoot sabotless. There are no sabots that will work in that bore. The only other alternative would be if you want to shoot heavy lead from a custom mold, and it don't take a smokeless capable 1:24 twist rifle for that.

Last edited:
I had confused the twist of the 350 legend with the 450. I'm saving to get the 45/70 scout conversion. I figured there were good reasons no one does the 450.

I had confused the twist of the 350 legend with the 450. I'm saving to get the 45/70 scout conversion. I figured there were good reasons no one does the 450.
If youd like muzzy the 450BM is a nice rifle for our zone 3 hunts and good for the rest of the state too . Factory ammo is good for 300+ yds as is !!! Handloads will go 400 yds !!! Pretty nice cf rifle for us really . Makes farm country a whole lot easier to hunt !!!

If youd like muzzy the 450BM is a nice rifle for our zone 3 hunts and good for the rest of the state too . Factory ammo is good for 300+ yds as is !!! Handloads will go 400 yds !!! Pretty nice cf rifle for us really . Makes farm country a whole lot easier to hunt !!!
I really do want to get the 450bm SS Scout. But i also want to get the 45/70 to convert to SML

Can a Knight DISC rifle be converted? I've never heard of that being done either, and i have a second one.

I'm pretty sure Bestill has done them in the past by threading in a new barrel. Might want to contact him.

You can have a DISC converted with a new barrel but the barrel OD is on the small side. Loads will need to be adjusted accordingly. I think barrel OD was around .990ish on the conversion? Sabot loads would be no problem at all. Sabotless would need to be used with more cautious loads.

Not very practical for the 450BM conversion. Probably make a great conical shooter though.

I thought Bestill was not taking anymore custom work. Just focusing on Omegas or Encores or something? Seems like he put out a vid in December or January.

You can have a DISC converted with a new barrel but the barrel OD is on the small side. Loads will need to be adjusted accordingly. I think barrel OD was around .990ish on the conversion? Sabot loads would be no problem at all. Sabotless would need to be used with more cautious loads.

Not very practical for the 450BM conversion. Probably make a great conical shooter though.
DISC conversion would be ideal for me since i already have one to build from. Im Im going to look into it. But i am still leaning towards the 45/70 scout i think.

I thought Bestill was not taking anymore custom work. Just focusing on Omegas or Encores or something? Seems like he put out a vid in December or January.

I thought that was just during the hunting seasons?

Wouldn't hurt to ask for clarification.

You can get a Scout/Hunter converted in 209 for as low as $200 so its very affordable. The new Scout in blue im seeing for $300 or a little less. No brake but a 25" barrel. Personally if you are not smoking, CM could be better. Depends but CM is normally tougher in some respects. Melvin quit using SS for his light contour M209s because the Douglas CM barrels were stronger.

You can get a Scout/Hunter converted in 209 for as low as $200 so its very affordable. The new Scout in blue im seeing for $300 or a little less. No brake but a 25" barrel. Personally if you are not smoking, CM could be better. Depends but CM is normally tougher in some respects. Melvin quit using SS for his light contour M209s because the Douglas CM barrels were stronger.
I like the ss scout with the brake.

Melvin?

Latest posts

Back