450 Bushmaster conversion?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Jeff said he was out of the business of the 45/70 conversions and was solely going to focus on custom builds. I took that as any custom build that was not just fitting a breech plug to a 45/70 rifle.

I really like my Scout conversion. Have only shot it maybe 25 times but it is everything I wanted. A great way for me to get into SML.

I really like my Scout conversion. Have only shot it maybe 25 times but it is everything I wanted. A great way for me to get into SML.

Who did your conversion? That might help others that are undecided.

I did see where Jeff said he had 200 bolt SMLs to build. That could take awhile.

Just remembered that you had Hankins conversion.

Yes mine is a Hankins conversion with the brass His primer modules. He had some already made up and I got one as a kit with the bullet sizer and the ramrod and loading funnel, 25 brass primer modules, I think I paid 999.00 for the kit. I know there are others out there doing these conversions too but I had learned all my information on the gun etc. from his videos. Jeff Hankins really does a good job with the videos and I needed that because I didn't know anything about a SML, only the smokers I had used for years. He tries to keep a few of these guns made up in stock and they go pretty fast when he does. He only keeps the brass module ignition version in stock but he also makes a direct ignition breech plug which is hotter in fps etc for the same powder charge but the module screws into and out of the breech plug and my hands, fingers and thumbs are really messed up from a nerve disease.

the direct ignition breech plug changes out with the brass module one, so he might just switch them out for you if you wanted the direct ignition. brass module is called HIS and the direct one is called DIS, both use large rifle primers or large rifle magnum primers. the gun will handle up to 65 gr of IMR 4198 or H4198 with 275 gr bullet. heavier bullets than 275 are not recommended and neither is going over 65gr of 4198. the barrel is 1 inch at the breech and there is no bolt locking lugs so a person needs to be cognizant of the pressures he is producing with his load.

My scout is stainless with a muzzle brake and also comes with a thread protector if you want to remove the brake. the funnel allows you to load powder, wad and bullet straight down through the funnel. his bullet sizer is real nice too.

Back