.450 Bushmaster / Knight Bloodline

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Do any of you think that loading a 250 grain Knight Bloodline for a .450 Bushmaster is a viable option? I am sold on the design and brass construction of the Bloodline, and wish Lehigh had an offering of such (.450 in CF, that is). Would it just be a matter of canneluring the bullet where the bullet is already grooved to grab the sabot to allow for the crimp, and ensuring the OAL was within spec?

I'd love to hear your thoughts.

A crimp isn’t necessary on that cartridge.

The crimp is desirable, the cannelure is not necessary.

Pheonix sorry but the answer is..NO!

I was thinking this very thing as I like these bullets too. Before I did it though I spoke with Sabotloader about it. He spoke to Lehigh Dave and Dave told him that the Bloodline and the Lehigh CF is ONLY for muzzeloaders. The Problem here is that the Brass in the Bloodline (I have and shot the 275) and the Copper in the CF (What I shoot now) are too hard and will not engrave and or obturate in the bore of the CF rifle but instead will become an obstruction and that could be catastrophic. I lost the actual info in our PM when the site changed over. Maybe Sabotloader will see this and correct me if I posted something not quite right. Bottom line is that Lehigh will say "don't do it with their CF or Bloodline they are for Sabots in muzzle loaders only".

Lehigh Does make a 245gn Penetrator that is specifically for the 450BM. The Design and the way it works are different. I am thinking of trying it but have not quite decided yet. I did actually try to seat one (265CF) in a case and it crushed the case but that was more from not Expanding it enough as you would for a 250gn FTX.

https://www.lehighdefense.com/colle...r-xtreme-penetrator-bullet?variant=1097146160

Pheonix sorry but the answer is..NO!

I was thinking this very thing as I like these bullets too. Before I did it though I spoke with Sabotloader about it. He spoke to Lehigh Dave and Dave told him that the Bloodline and the Lehigh CF is ONLY for muzzeloaders. The Problem here is that the Brass in the Bloodline (I have and shot the 275) and the Copper in the CF (What I shoot now) are too hard and will not engrave and or obturate in the bore of the CF rifle but instead will become an obstruction and that could be catastrophic. I lost the actual info in our PM when the site changed over. Maybe Sabotloader will see this and correct me if I posted something not quite right. Bottom line is that Lehigh will say "don't do it with their CF or Bloodline they are for Sabots in muzzle loaders only".

Lehigh Does make a 245gn Penetrator that is specifically for the 450BM. The Design and the way it works are different. I am thinking of trying it but have not quite decided yet. I did actually try to seat one (265CF) in a case and it crushed the case but that was more from not Expanding it enough as you would for a 250gn FTX.

https://www.lehighdefense.com/colle...r-xtreme-penetrator-bullet?variant=1097146160

I really think you have covered a critical area of concern but maybe an even greater is my concern is that a bullet built for a ML does not have the +/- tolerances that a centerfire bullet must be manufactured with. Rifle bullets must fall with in a specific diameter - while ML bullets have a greater range of diameter. There is a very good chance the bullet could be larger than bore on your barrel would pass.

Lehigh has a Max Expansion 220gr bullet for 45LC Judge. Probably only for Judge because the bullet is rather long. A slight design tweak to that one sounds like a cool option for 450BM. Lots of states require expanding bullets for deer hunting.

So if Lehigh isnt an option look at CEBs lineup. They do have controlled fracturing bullets for 450BM but they are pretty steep too.

Just looked at the CEB. Interesting bullet for the 450BM but your right about a steep price.:eek: $109.05 per 50 = $2.18 per bullet. My Wallet hurts thinking about that.

This is somewhat concerning too.

A minimum impact velocity of 1500fps is required for the hollow point to function as intended.

The Lehigh 245gn Penetrator is $53.05 per 50 = $1.06 ea. the 250gn Penetrator is $55.70 per 50 = $1.11 ea. This Lehigh works at lower velocities. Sure which Lehigh Dave would make a CF for the 450BM.
Velocity(fps)750 - 4,200

CEB has a 250gr grain also for $62ish/50...not terrible but i would have minor concerns about it with the small HP and long range expansion/fracturing.

https://cuttingedgebullets.com/45cal-250gr-rifle-handgun-maximus
m.451_250_50ct_1.jpg

GM, I did not see that one. Barnes has one I have seen listed for the 450Bm but it was the 275 XPB and it too has that small HP and it concerns me some too. What I never noticed though was the Barnes .451 250gn that has the larger HP. Midway shows some favorable reviews where it has been used in the 450BM.

Look at Bear Creek Ballistics, they make an anealed copper for the 250BM, They open, don't come apart and shoot well

Interesting bullets but he don't advertise selling just the bullets on his site. Does he sell separately?

I did email Lehigh to see if they had any plans to make a CF for the .450BM. I got an email back that they had been testing a prototype in the 450BM but it is a Subsonic. Guess we will just wait and see.

fishhawk,

I've seen the Fury name but not real familiar with them. Does all his bullets have that small HP? This sort of concerns me about reliable expansion on game. I look them up.

Found his web site but it does not show much.:(

Not on Facebook. I might email them to see what he offers.

Lehigh has a Max Expansion 220gr bullet for 45LC Judge. Probably only for Judge because the bullet is rather long. A slight design tweak to that one sounds like a cool option for 450BM. Lots of states require expanding bullets for deer hunting.

So if Lehigh isnt an option look at CEBs lineup. They do have controlled fracturing bullets for 450BM but they are pretty steep too.

Thanks for this. Since hunting with the Bloodline in my MZ with nothing but absolute success, I really wanted a larger bore centerfire rifle that could shoot a Bloodline bullet (Lehigh CF), or reasonable substitute bullet, with the fracturing technology. I began looking at the 450 Bushmaster after I couldn't find a bullet for my 445 Super Mag that resembled the Bloodline, and the.45-70 305 grain Lehigh CF round moving at 2000fps or so is absolute overkill (in my opinion of course). I also actually contacted Lehigh to check on the availability of .44 (.429) CF bullets.

Anyway, in my search at CEB, I found the .44 200 grain CEB Raptor, which will work in my 445 Super Mag, so I won't need to buy a new rifle that shoots a caliber that will allow me to shoot the CF bullets available at Lehigh...I must admit am only a LITTLE disappointed not to be adding to the collection.

Again, thank you.

Back