450 Bushmaster reloads

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes!!! Those just scream badass!

LOL...... I haven't sent a single round down range yet. I am though looking forward to sending a few at 100 just to see how accurate they will be.

Propelled by Lil'Gun ;)

That caliber Loves LilGun. :lewis: Does he make a bullet in the 250 grain range?

I actually just traded off a pistol and got a new Ruger American Ranch in 450BM. So now I have 2 Rifles in this caliber. :D I was looking at the Furys to try in this one.
I did not get to try them on hair but I loaded up some of these last year. Hope to use them this coming season Lehigh just came out with them last Feb, 250gn CF. Those Fury's would probably shoot just a bit more accurate but these do shoot just fine. ;)

Attachments

• DSCF1425.JPG
    DSCF1425.JPG
    58.6 KB · Views: 24
Beautiful! We'll anxiously await your range report! Looking for the "perfect recipe" for the "perfect rifle" for fellow Michiganders! I was all set to NOT like the .450 Bushmaster figuring the hype would disappoint, but picked up a Ruger American Ranch last year and love it.

45-70,460,,450bm, I think anything shooting 451- 454 bullets has a lot of potential,, as far as accuracy goes ,,it's almost got me looking at some of those old African dangerous game type cartridges that would fit in a 98 mauser,, I think a lot of PPC and creedmoor, 308 shooters never consider the accuracy of the 45 bore,, I am waiting on a mini howa 450 Bushmaster ,, I only check it's availability once a day

When Ohio opened up allowing Straight walled cartridges I just stayed with my ML's. Even my Nephew asked me if I would buy a centerfire rifle for deer, I said Why my MLs do just fine and I don't really want a 45-70 or the like. Calibers like the 45-70 or 444 just did not catch my interest. Toyed with the idea of a rifle in 44mag but never pulled the trigger. When Encore50A posted about his Bolt Action and I saw how it shot the .450BM really got my attention. Then again I've always been interested in calibers that were not so popular, but the 450BM is got a big following now. After some back and forth chats with Encore50A I got my first Ruger ordered in from Michigan (Dealer Exclusive model). :lewis: Now I have 2 of them, got a Ruger RA ranch last friday. Its a great cartridge and is very accurate. As mentioned it does have some limitations and the straight wall case has some things you have to watch when loading but overall I am Very pleased with the cartridge and it has become a big favorite of mine.

I still hunt with and prefer the muzz myself, but I hunted with the 450 one year when my VX6 was being repaired. Hammered an 8pt shooting the 250gr FTX which isn't very popular with some. Shot placement ;) I had a pass through on that 8pt and had blood head high in the trees. Very short death run.
Dennis called yesterday and we had a great conversation about shooting and bullets, plus some time to catch up on a few things. I really appreciated that phone call.
I'll get around and try these here at home...........

I love my 450 uppers for my AR's. 2020 Season: 8pt walking through my woods about 50 yds out, took the broad side heart lung shot. He runs like I missed. But in an arch around my stand... seemingly hugging the edge of the swap which inches him closer to me, after about 40 yds running flat out, he enters a shooting lane at 30yds distance, and I lead him (instinctively like I'm shooting ducks) too much and hit him in the spine forward of the shoulders with the second shot. His head drops to the ground and he flips right on his back. DRT. Walk up to find blood had sprayed all over the ground during the run, a 2" exit hole and shredded lungs... plus the hole through his spine in his neck. He wasn't going much farther... the second shot wasn't needed.

I've Been happy with the Hornady 250FTX's, and my copy cat hand load: both shoot to the same point of impact for me in my rifles.

Last edited:
The 250FTX is a great shooting bullet. Very accurate from mine out to 200 yards. I have shot 3 deer with mine with this bullet and it will leave a blood trail a blind man could follow. It just left me the impression that we might be pushing the bullet to the edge and it was on the verge of coming apart. Never saw pieces of it but the terminal performance just left me with that impression. I have since worked up a load with the Lehigh 250gn CF, as pictured above, but have not tried it on hair yet. Covid restrictions last fall in NY caused me to miss last years season. :mad: These should get tried out this season.

Just thinking: The 450, for me, is limited by OAL. It has to fit in and function in my AR's magazines. I've found the factory Hornady 250FTX load hard to beat here.

If you have a bolt gun (perhaps with a longer mag well than my magazines) or a single shot etc, max possible OAL could be limited by the throat of the chamber. Seating the bullets safely to a longer OAL.... the resulting increase in case capacity may allow for some interesting performance with longer heavier bullets (at least until you hit the barrel twist's limit in stabilization), & maybe even with slightly slower burning powders that Lil'gun.

Again, as I'm an AR guy when it comes to the 450BM, & I've found very good performance with the Hornady 250 FTX factory load and my reload clones of that factory load: playing in that realm really isn't for me (unless I wanted to single load I guess). And not really needed... my AR rifles shoot well enough and have brought home game...

But if I had a bolt gun, that would be a fun experiment.

I entered the AR world because of the 450BM in 2009. There were no bolt actions, only Bushmaster made an upper. I ended up buying a second BM upper and built 2 dedicated rifles, one for FTX bullets and one for Barnes 250gr TSX bullets. Both shoot my handloads with amazing accuracy. I like the 450BM, almost as much as the 375 SOCOM...

Just thinking: The 450, for me, is limited by OAL. It has to fit in and function in my AR's magazines. I've found the factory Hornady 250FTX load hard to beat here.

The 45 Raptor cartridge works in the AR10 platform and uses load data similar to the 460 S&W magnum.

I chambered three Savage 110 barrels for the cartridge a few weeks ago.

A 200 grain Hornady FTX bullet can come out of a 24 inch barrel at over 2800 fps.

It also allows you to use a 300 grain bullet in the longer magazine of the AR10.

Attachments

• 45 Raptor200ftx50H110v2.png
    45 Raptor200ftx50H110v2.png
    403 KB · Views: 7
Last edited:
Back