450 Bushmaster reloads

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
45 Raptor is an interesting option I was unaware of. I have a couple AR308's... but I have to admit the 450 works very well for my hunting situations and the AR15's are so much lighter and handier.

But I surely see the value of the 45 Raptor/AR308 combo if you really want to push the envelope and be Michigan deer hunting legal.

I just bought a complete upper chambered in 450 bushmaster. Bear creek with gen 2 charging handle.

I feel very fortunate as my collection has grown exponentially.

For deer... 12g slugs, 350 legend in both AR and bolt action, 450 bushmaster AR or above the restricted zone my 30/06.

Squirrel and small game.. 12g with shot or .22 bolt action in Sporter and bull barrel, also .22 pcp air rifle.

Plus now I reload! Just got dies for .223 and 450 bushmaster to add to the collection of 30/06, 9mm, 9mm Kurts and 350 legend.

8 lbs of Lil gun and primers too. Yeah it's gonna be a great hunting season. Squirrels have 8 days before they will have to run and hide from this hombre and his rifle. Very excited!

How do they shoot
I just got around to send some the other day and unfortunately they didn't group well at all. Dennis and I had talked about how these would likely NOT work well in the 450. If he sees this, he may respond.
I shot from a front rest and rear bag and about the best they'd do is 2". Dennis mentioned that I'd likely have a copper ring built up in the chamber, which happened and opening the bolt after a few rounds became an issue.
I did send 3 250gr FTX's last into a very tight clover leaf.
After completely cleaning the rifle, I pulled all the remaining bullets.

Attachments

• 250 FTX 9-5-21.JPG
    250 FTX 9-5-21.JPG
    220.5 KB · Views: 6
I was flirting with loading them in a 460 a couple years back it didn't work out good for me it wasn't because of Dennis's bullets I just really had trouble with the cartridge in a Remington 700 action, I have a 16 inch barrel mini howa 450 that I'm trying to put a nice Walnut stock ,, often considered all of the really nice muzzle loading bullets that we have would be really great in some center fire cartridges I think somebody's flirted a little bit with a 450 super short mag somewhere I read, fixing to start shooting the 450 again it's been a couple of years looking forward to it

We're starting our bear season for a limited number of hunters here in Ontario. This year I'm carrying my Ruger American for backup and shooting Underwood 220 grain Xtreme Hunters. All intel on these have been excessively positive. Only downside was that local gunshop gouged $20 a box on top. Didn't have time to wait for shipping from factory. Will post terminal review if one of these pills runs into Yogi!16312457174633727860698650877537.jpg
16312458282241612232823837155875.jpg

We're starting our bear season for a limited number of hunters here in Ontario. This year I'm carrying my Ruger American for backup and shooting Underwood 220 grain Xtreme Hunters. All intel on these have been excessively positive. Only downside was that local gunshop gouged $20 a box on top. Didn't have time to wait for shipping from factory. Will post terminal review if one of these pills runs into Yogi!View attachment 16245
View attachment 16246

Ouch it hurts just looking at that sticker. You live way up north? Like Yukon territory north? Even then ouchy!

Here I thought 30 bucks for 20 carts is bad. Like I always say it's all perspective.

Reread your post says Ontario. Questions answered. Even in canuk money that's spicy.

Our lodge is outside of Wawa, Ontario, but sadly, that robbery took place in Coldwater, Michigan. If they anchor like I suspect they will, I'll tack it up to cheap insurance!

I've heard good things about Underwood ammo. Those look like the extreme penetrators if I'm not mistaken. This guy on YouTube Edwin sarkisian (a fellow Armenian) I think he was sponsored by them briefly he did some testing and they looked pretty promising.

45 Raptor is an interesting option I was unaware of. I have a couple AR308's... but I have to admit the 450 works very well for my hunting situations and the AR15's are so much lighter and handier.

But I surely see the value of the 45 Raptor/AR308 combo if you really want to push the envelope and be Michigan deer hunting legal.
I wish Michigan would lengthen the maximum case overall dimension from 1.8 to 2.2" so I could use my 1886 Winchester in 45-70. Apparently it's ok to use in a handgun but not a carbine/rifle length barrel. It would also be fun to use my C Sharps 1874 over some long fields here in the mitten.

I am now also in the 450 bushmaster reload game.

I had trouble getting brass so I bit the bullet (puns ha ha) and got a box of factory ammo for 40 bucks. Wouldn't you know the next day I'm at the range and someone(s) had shot about 100 rounds of the stuff. Go figure.

Mini howa top two 50 yds ,just to see if eyeball at 25 yards was good for getting on target, that one hole below the two is the first three shots at 100 yards,,I don't think I've ever had a rifle get in a hole so fast,,first two we're in same hole third cut just off the center,,,vortex opmod 1-6x24 ammo was Hornady brown box 250 grain STX,,, have to shoot a little bit more I've got two or three other loads my goal is to shoot the sub load that Hornady makes. 45 bore is just accurate isn't it my friends!!!

Attachments

• IMG_20210920_182836352_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20210920_182836352_HDR.jpg
    170.4 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_20210920_184108162.jpg
    IMG_20210920_184108162.jpg
    47.6 KB · Views: 10

Latest posts

Back