.452 Hornady 250 Grain MonoFlex for Muzzleloaders

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I've shot these before in my smoker muzzleloaders and in the RemPac .45 but I've never tried them Full Formed in my Remingtion 700ML with a Brux .458 barrel, so I had to give it a whirl.

The .452 250gr MonoFlex is a bear to FF size, I had to use a cheater bar on my Rock Chucker press
XxN4oSJ.jpg

You gotta love it when the first shot prints almost dead center, my hunting load of 10gr N110 with 57gr H4198, veggie wad, Fed209A primer, muzzle velocity around 2700fps
JBTpcuV.jpg

Next two for a 3 shot group, all shots at 100yds, I'm not sure why they climbed an inch and then went into the same hole, maybe it was because I swabbed the barrel for testing the fit of the bullet and didn't foul it with primers before loading at the range. The B.C. on these is .210 so they drop fairly quick past 300yds, drop at 400yds is around 4 feet.
bcc8BBI.jpg

Last edited:
My RemShilen used to stack those in the same hole just like that. I shot smooth sized with a veggie wad. I would size in three steps and the last step got three passes through the die.

They are a little loose in my Scout V2, but fit snug enough knurled. I have yet to see how they group yet through it.

My RemShilen used to stack those in the same hole just like that. I shot smooth sized with a veggie wad. I would size in three steps and the last step got three passes through the die.

They are a little loose in my Scout V2, but fit snug enough knurled. I have yet to see how they group yet through it.
When you size in 3 steps, is that the same adjustable die or 3 different dies?

Adjustable. I had documented where the final sizing needed to be and then I backed off till it was just barely sizing and ran all of them through. Then I adjusted halfway to the final setting; ran them through again. Set the final sizing setting and ran them all through three times.

Quite possibly more trouble than it was worth. Never did get a chance to take a deer with that bullet before selling the rifle (budget was extremely tight a couple years ago and I used half of the money on transmission repair and half on a Scout V2 conversion).

Hoping that the knurling will be enough to get them to shoot in the Scout.

Last edited:
Back