.458 Bullet / Crushed Rib Sabot / 50 Cal?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Does anyone have experience with this combo? It loads firm but but unreasonably hard when I do a push through.

I don't see why they would not shoot just fine. Someone must have tried it in the past. Any insights?

I thought some shot .458 Barnes Originals and orange sabots with good results.

I've tried a 250 grain .458 Hornady MonoFlex with a Crush Rib in my Knight Mountaineer, it loaded firm but was doable. A 325 grain .458 Hornady FTX with a Crush Rib would start but I couldn't get in down, that was in 23*F temps so maybe that was a factor.

Using a 458 bullet in a Harvester black crushrib has been a common practice with many Savage MLII owners for ages. Their bores run a bit large on average.

Does anyone have experience with this combo? It loads firm but but unreasonably hard when I do a push through.

I don't see why they would not shoot just fine. Someone must have tried it in the past. Any insights?

I think it will really depend on the size of your bore. Older ML's will probably handle the the .458 in a 452 Crush Rib sabot but I would question if it would be enjoyable to load that combination in the newer tighter bores of todays 50 cal. rifles.

I personally use the Orange MMP HPH .457/.458 x 50 sabot.

Lehigh300DOA.jpg

MMP Orange works fine in some rifles. Harvester has a new 458 crushrib sabot if you want something that loads a little easier.

I’ve been shooting .458s in black crushribs out of an Optima V2 without issue. Like you said, firm but not unreasonable to load

Latest posts

Back