45cal loads/velocities

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Good points.... im loving this info. Now as far as charges go, im afraid to mention this or even post it due to sake of arguements, but i was just curiois what knights reply would be about BH209. But i talked to knight 2 diff times about BH209 specifically. Everyone else said max charge BH 209 is 120v. Knight stated 2 different times that the mountaineer 45 cal can handle max of 150gr by vol of BH209. I asked 2 separate times i can post the screen shots of what i asked and what their reply was. But i planned to stick with around 120ish gr V. Or whichever held the tightest group. Ill post those screen shots if anyone wants to see what knight said about BH in the mountaineer, if anyone is interested..
150x.7= 105grs weight. That's stiff. The RUM's are shooting 106grs W with 320gr Fury's.

Not sure if you know this but, BH changes lot to lot. What 120grs VOLUME weighs with one lot, doesn't mean it'll weigh the same with the next lot#.

7-16-22 test.jpg

7-11-22 test.jpg

This was also another thing i found which made me message knight. Apparently the mountaineer, ultralite, and peregrine are on a separate level than the other " bolt action" models knight makes that suggest a max of 120 BH209. Appears to be as if the UL, MOUNTAINEER, PEREGRINE are more designed for BH. This is what made me ask knight the question because it was unclear to me. AND I wanted to know so, i asked 2 diff times about the max BH209 load being 150 in a mountaineer just to make sure. Because lets say 120v is shooting good , i may wanna keep slightly bumping it up until velocity stops gaining, accuracy falls off etc. Even though ill never use the 150 max load, this was just for conversation.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20221127-154519_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20221127-154519_Gallery.jpg
    433.6 KB · Views: 0
Well its not looking like im going to be able to find ANY BH209. Ive looked everywhere, called everyehere , etc... so looks like im going to be using T7 FFFG....

Question will 80 gr of 777 powder generate roughly 1850fps out of a CVA Optima magnum am I at least in the ballpark? Thanks!

Question will 80 gr of 777 powder generate roughly 1850fps out of a CVA Optima magnum am I at least in the ballpark? Thanks!
Prob need more info than just that. FFG OR FFFG? I assume 50 cal . But what weight bullet???

Thanks GM I have an old Optima that I really don’t want to hot rod . I have some new No Excuse sabot 200 gr so that should work is there any place where I could get a rough idea of the pressure that would develope ?

I’m going to answer as you phrased :What I’ve done for max reliability/cost/convenience ? Under 200 yds maybe 250 with practice
300gr .452 gold dot or xtp pistol bullets
100gr measured / 70 gr Blackhorn 209
Hottest 209 Fed CCI magnum shotgun reloading primers if you can’t find blue box 209’s
detail : gold dots revered / acceptable ballistics for accuracy and KE at these ranges
100gr vs magnum/ super magnum loads to Reduce recoil and still have adequate hunting velocities velocities 1700-1850 fps @ muzzle
Primers , best I’ve found commercially available.
My rifle is CVA LR Accura . 45217 bore
The .45 Speer and Hornady are .452
I use a fiber or wool wad and bullet loads snug with moderate force. Shooting bullet to bore the dimensions must be measured for each barrel and projectile to ensure an airtight / high pressure fit. Blackhorn requires a complete seal to ignite.
Blackhorn and 777 are comparable in velocities and as such any magnum rated muzzleloader can run up to:
120 grains measured 777 or : conventional non magnum muzzleloaders 100gr 777 and probably can’t use Blackhorn stock.
Blackhorn (120gn measured = 84gr /Wt) unless rated **super** magnum or smokeless never exceed 84gr wt Blackhorn.
If the firearm has a sealed breech designed or modified to shoot Blackhorn or tested /approved to shoot with blackhorn 209.
140 yds facing / trotting straight towards me
Shoot or spook
Right front chest dropped in his tracks

Attachments

• 0CDE1569-65D6-4BAB-B2BA-D69D13FDA979.jpeg
    0CDE1569-65D6-4BAB-B2BA-D69D13FDA979.jpeg
    4.7 MB · Views: 0

Latest posts

Back