45cal loads/velocities

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I dont shoot past 200 yards with my .45 Disc 1:20” but i do shoot 345 and 340 grain lead bullets on bh209. The 330Gould, which i modified to be a flat round nose instead of a hollow-point so it drops at 345grain, is what i would shoot to 300yards. Also, its a hammer on white tails.
Thats the most under rated load for a fast twist 45 yet it has more energy at 100 yards than a 44mag 300gr has at the muzzle. Using just 70grV of BH209 its leaving the muzzle at over 1300fps. 80grV is over 1400fps...Around 1450-1500fps iirc.

350ish-420gr lead is what i want to shoot out of the Ulite barrel i got coming. Easier on powder and the shoulder but still plenty effective. Just compare old 45-90-420 load data. The BH209 load beats the old BPCR load and its closer to a 45-100 type load. That load killed all kinds of big game out to 300 yards.

In a Mountaineer you can easily go upto the 460gr-490gr conicals and upto 80gr of BH209 by volume. That is easily a bison and elk load. It will plow thru a deer like butter.

Thats the most under rated load for a fast twist 45 yet it has more energy at 100 yards than a 44mag 300gr has at the muzzle. Using just 70grV of BH209 its leaving the muzzle at over 1300fps. 80grV is over 1400fps...Around 1450-1500fps iirc.

350ish-420gr lead is what i want to shoot out of the Ulite barrel i got coming. Easier on powder and the shoulder but still plenty effective. Just compare old 45-90-420 load data. The BH209 load beats the old BPCR load and its closer to a 45-100 type load. That load killed all kinds of big game out to 300 yards.
Come on guys pick me a bullet here.. i wished arrowheads page would work today so i could see what they have...

Easy
Bullshop 420gr and wads...about $50/100 bullets sized and lubed (sized to .452 if you dont have a sizing die and plan to use BH209)
Fury 401 240gr OT for a sabot load...Grab 2 packs of Poly wads and 2 packs of Harvester light blue sabots at the same time.

And if you really wanna play this game grab an adjustable sizing die. Then have Bullshop size them to .454 so you can size them exactly to your bore.

Easy
Bullshop 420gr and wads...about $50/100 bullets sized and lubed
Fury 401 240gr OT for a sabot load...Grab 2 packs of Poly wads and 2 packs of Harvester light blue sabots at the same time.
This was my first idea before bullet to bore idea. I was still tossing it around some. The saboted fury .401
Easy
Bullshop 420gr and wads...about $50/100 bullets sized and lubed (sized to .452 if you dont have a sizing die and plan to use BH209)

And if you really wanna play this game grab an adjustable sizing die. Then have Bullshop size them to .454 so you can size them exactly to your bore.
I was
Easy

Yess. I was already going to buy a bullet resizer anyways.

I have had great luck with Fury and Arrowhead XLD. Both shoot very well over max charge of BH209.

I am going. to go with the Fury 320 (land ridding) for my .50 caliber. Very impressed with them this year in Colorado. However. My .50 caliber disk extreme shoots crazy good with No-Excuse 460s.

Another bullet I've heard about are "dead center" . What everyone think of those ones while we are discussing bullets here? In the 45 to 40cal.

Another bullet I've heard about are "dead center" . What everyone think of those ones while we are discussing bullets here? In the 45 to 40cal.
I have a stash of their 250 grain .40 bullets. They shot great through my 1:28 twisters. However I don't think they make the 250 grainer anymore. I think they now make a 260 grain .40 bullet for sabot.

Running the Arrowhead XLD 300 gr with BH 209 105 gr by weight CCI 250 it’s shooting 2,500 perLabRadar in my Brux 45 cal Arrowhead barrel and shoots under MOA at three hundred

So here is what im going to try 1st and 2nd.....
Fury star tip, 275gr .402 and a blue harvester 45/40 sabot. Im SURE ill prob need to size it down "possibly" to get it slide down the bore seeing that's a .402 and not .400 or .401. Id like to try that due to the higher BC first.. if no go ill try the fury star tip 2p 275 gr. .452 or .453 and resize to Bullet to bore with a veggie wad im sold on the BH209 i talked to knight 2 diff times about HOT BH209 loads..
.. Now out of curiosity the 260 gr dead centers seem ok i debated on those but i keep reading they lose accuracy past 1900- 2000 fps. Id assume that would be due to that person not having a fast enough twist barrel. With a 1:20 like my gun has ill bet i could push it faster and still be stable. What do you guys think???

Just My Opinion…I would skip the Sabot. It’s the weak spot in your shooting set up/plan. You will get plenty with the bullet to bore and take one variable out of the equation from the start.

I shot the arrowhead XLD crazy good out of my Knight Ultra lite with a max weight of BH209. I was getting 2075 FPS and sub one inch groups.

Just My Opinion…I would skip the Sabot. It’s the weak spot in your shooting set up/plan. You will get plenty with the bullet to bore and take one variable out of the equation from the start.

I shot the arrowhead XLD crazy good out of my Knight Ultra lite with a max weight of BH209. I was getting 2075 FPS and sub one inch groups.
X2.
If I were planning on 200-300 yard shots I'd likely be looking at a heavy sabot-less bullet as well...likely sighted in at 200 yards. :snipe:

Don't go nuts............

You can increase your velocity if you measure by volume. Measure out 10 loads at 120grs volume, then weigh each load. Average the weight of those 10 and use that weighed charge.
Not knowing your loading force with BTB or if you use a wad but, tighten the loading force and get another 75 - 100 fps.

I'm sending the 350gr XLD at 2160fps with 120grs VOLUME.

Good points.... im loving this info. Now as far as charges go, im afraid to mention this or even post it due to sake of arguements, but i was just curiois what knights reply would be about BH209. But i talked to knight 2 diff times about BH209 specifically. Everyone else said max charge BH 209 is 120v. Knight stated 2 different times that the mountaineer 45 cal can handle max of 150gr by vol of BH209. I asked 2 separate times i can post the screen shots of what i asked and what their reply was. But i planned to stick with around 120ish gr V. Or whichever held the tightest group. Ill post those screen shots if anyone wants to see what knight said about BH in the mountaineer, if anyone is interested..

https://www.muzzleloaders.com/articles/proper-muzzleloader-loading/
WARNING: There are many black powder substitutes available. Read and follow all instructions and warnings provided by the manufacturer of the propellant you choose.

Blackhorn 209 Powder

Bolt Action: DO NOT exceed 120 volumetric units of Blackhorn 209
Bighorn: DO NOT exceed 100 volumetric units of Blackhorn 209
Littlehorn: DO NOT exceed 80 volumetric units of Blackhorn 209
TK2000: DO NOT use
Blackhorn 209 NOT for use with flintlock, #11 percussion or musket caps.

The same warning is listed in the 2021 manual.
https://www.muzzleloaders.com/wp-content/uploads/2021/08/Knight_Owners_Manual_2021Preview.pdf

So here is what they said. Here are 2 screen shots of 2 diff conversations.. my auto correct accidentally said bighorn but clearly meant blackhorScreenshot_20221127-132716_Gallery.jpg

Latest posts

Back