460g No Excuses

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Dave (No Excuses) requested this bullet be shot with a load of 80g Blackhorn powder.

IMG_4143.JPG

IMG_4135.JPG

Between the rifle, and bottles is 25 yard.

IMG_4131.JPG

IMG_4139.JPG

IMG_4140.JPG

Attachments

• upload_2019-4-1_10-48-54.png
    upload_2019-4-1_10-48-54.png
    283.2 KB · Views: 9
Much better result than before.
Wonder what the lead composition difference is as you tested the same bullet a few years back.
127428DF-AB81-4031-8BFF-47D8911732F7.jpeg

Ron is the 80 gr. of BH volume or grains weighed? Now days with BH you just never know unless it is identified.

Either way 80 + 460 at 25 yards should given excellent results, guess I would not have thought anything less...

80 of either is a full blown hunting load with that bullet.

Look what that bullet did to the first three jugs! Can you imagine the devastation to the insides of a deer or whatever big game animal you shot with it?

Look what that bullet did to the first three jugs! Can you imagine the devastation to the insides of a deer or whatever big game animal you shot with it?
They just drop in their tracks Ed! Seen it many times, that's why I'm a conical shooter/hunter first then maybe will try a sabot after the freezer is getting full!:2cool:

Much better result than before.
Wonder what the lead composition difference is as you tested the same bullet a few years back.
View attachment 4197
A few years back we had a batch of lead delivered that was supposed to be pure lead and we sent a few boxes out before we caught it. Seemed that batch contained 2% tin which made them a bit hard and not very accurate. We sent it back and got the pure lead we had ordered. Could be one explanation. We test all of our deliveries now prior to casting anything. I do like the results. The wound channel on those big 420s and 460s is unexplainable. Thx for the tests and posting the results. Dave (muzzleloading-bullets.com)

Thanks Ron,

I have the 495 NE's sighted in for my pending ELK Hunt. 80 Grains of T7 3F is my load. Once Disc Extreme and one MK-85.

The MK is a great mountain rifle. Shoots like a dream and carries so nice.

I have personally witnessed two Colorado bull elk killed with NE 460g bullets. One was in my own sights and the other was my buddies. Both died pretty quickly. The one I tagged pretty much dropped on the spot with a good broadside, double lung shot at well back of 100 yards. Bullet did not exit. Buddies bull went less than 100 yards with a shot a little too far back for comfort; his shot was right at 100 yards and did exit. Both loads were 80g Blackhorn and 50 cal. Both rifles were Knight, a Mountaineer and a Disc Extreme... The NE 460's have been consistently accurate in every Knight I personally have shot them out of. So far that is Mountaineer, MK85, and DE.

but bullet was velocity beyond that for the test, thus the 50 grains. Why is it so hard for people to see that

but bullet was velocity beyond that for the test, thus the 50 grains. Why is it so hard for people to see that
No one like to see photos of their favorite bullet not perform in these test - hence the retest asking for different parameters, alloy, etc..
I think these test are a great way to compare one bullet vs another in head to head test.
At these 80grV, every bullet ‘should’ perform.
I like the 35grV test as they show how bullets perform (head-to-hard) when velocity slows (= distance). I’ve learned a lot from these test.

I shoot the 460’s out of a old Gonic with 80 grains of 777 ffg. Works like a charm on Iowa Whitetails.

Wow, that's an improvement. I believe I provided the .460 bullets for the 2015 test. I've had a time getting consistent results. Still have most of a box left, will need to use them up at the range and see if my accuracy improves with a new box.

The base of the bullet, in my experience has to be pristine, small dents and such from bouncing around in the box on the mail truck, makes a huge difference in my Whites.

100 yd.JPG slug.jpg My homecut mold produces these 500 grain conicals, I wanted a little rounder nose on them than the NE, I thought it might give me a touch better trajectory at longer range, probably doesn't, but I was also bored the day I made the mold ;] I run them through a homemade sizing die at .504 and then field lube with bore butter. First shot on the target was low after a 30 gn squibb. 80 grains Pyro Select RS. 100 yard target. 2% tin alloy. I have been getting so frustrated shooting the NE because they used to shoot sooooo good. I really think it's the battered base from riding around in my truck on all those dirt roads. After I sized these I wrapped them oh so carefully in a cloth and headed to the range. A lot of guys used the felt wads, I don't want to mess around with them because it's just "one more thing". If you ever bought any of Doc's bullets, you may remember they came in a clear plastic hose that protected that bottom ridge very nicely.

Wow, that's an improvement. I believe I provided the .460 bullets for the 2015 test. I've had a time getting consistent results. Still have most of a box left, will need to use them up at the range and see if my accuracy improves with a new box.

Lead Hardness can play a BIG Role in Bullet Tests, And Accuracy :)

The base of the bullet, in my experience has to be pristine, small dents and such from bouncing around in the box on the mail truck, makes a huge difference in my Whites.

The Bullet Bases are what Steers the Bullet, If getting the best possible Accuracy is your Goal, Except NOTHING but Pristine Bullet Bases

Back