490 Grain Bullet in 1:48 Twist

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Idaholewis

Reaction score
Since i have this Old Stock TC Renegade out, I’ve decided to test a Few more Heavier Bullets in this 1:48 Twist. I broke this mold out today and Cast up a Small Batch to Test, I have 2 Different Rifles I want to test this Bullet in.

Accurate Molds #50-488M
OpO0NOUl.jpg

I Cast These of Certified PURE Lead, This Bullet Measures 1” inch on the DOT
P0LJIikl.jpg

JBM Stability Calculator don‘t agree with this Date :) If these Test Good at the Short 55-60 Yard Range, i will try them Out at 250-300 Yards, Where Bullet length/Twist/Stability Becomes more Critical
N1ozukDl.jpg

Looking forward to your range video for these. I shoot 460gr BullShop and No Excuses out of my stock 1-48'' twist Renegade. Both bullets shoot best with 65 grains of 2F Swiss out of my gun.

On a Side note, I have everything sitting here by the Door to test this Bullet (I chose 90 Grains of Powder for this Session, That should BARK pretty Good :)) I Have been busy and Haven’t had a Chance to Shoot these yet, EARLY Tomorrow morning right at Daylight is the Plan :lewis: It’s getting HOT here in the Day Now, 90s the last few Days 🥵

Looking forward to your range video for these. I shoot 460gr BullShop and No Excuses out of my stock 1-48'' twist Renegade. Both bullets shoot best with 65 grains of 2F Swiss out of my gun.

I’m loaded up with 90 Grains of Swiss 2F for these :)

All kidding aside I like to play with the numbers as well. I will say that I will be surprised (pleasantly so) if these actually group well.

Lew, do those .50 cal, 457 grain bullet cast with the Accurate 51-450M mold run at all in a 1:48? I know you tested them in a 1:28.

Lew, do those .50 cal, 457 grain bullet cast with the Accurate 51-450M mold run at all in a 1:48? I know you tested them in a 1:28.

No i never tested those, and I’m not sure why I didn’t? It’s one of my VERY FAVORITE .50 Cal Bullets. I have the Mold Out :lewis: Just need to Cast up a Few of PURE Lead

Truly is a great looking bullet, a real Elk / Bear killer. Hope it does what you want it to do. Fold up a hand towel and put it on your shoulder. Or try a fold of small bubble wrap. No kidding Works for me No bruising

If I’m shooting for a while, I’ve used a sweatshirt, or a soft case. My Renegade doesn’t have any kind of recoil pad, so that was my fix for that. My Whitetail has a pad, but it’s pretty light, it would start punishing me after 8-10 shots using 460 grain slugs and 100vg T7. Once I started feeling a little sore, the sweatshirt came out. 😜

The BIG 490 Grain Bullet Shot STELLAR here at 55-60 Yards in the Ole Stock 1:48 Twist Renegade, One of the Best Shooting Bullets i have Shot :lewis: The CRAZY thing about all of this 1:48 Twist Bullet Testing i have done is the Lighter, Shorter Bullets have done the ABSOLUTE Worst in my Testing, Go figure :)

As i say in the Video, I pulled shot #3, Shots 1,2,4, and 5 are all through the Same Hole
sRPaYzc.jpg

This #50-488M Bullet is a Tapered Design on Accurate Molds Website, But I did AWAY with the Taper when i ordered this Mold, I prefer my Bullets to be the Same Diameter all the Way through, i size to fit my Bores
gxuNWvZ.jpg

WbKaK0A.jpg

If I’m shooting for a while, I’ve used a sweatshirt, or a soft case. My Renegade doesn’t have any kind of recoil pad, so that was my fix for that. My Whitetail has a pad, but it’s pretty light, it would start punishing me after 8-10 shots using 460 grain slugs and 100vg T7. Once I started feeling a little sore, the sweatshirt came out. 😜
I hear you man , the guns you are shooting are hunting rifles. The only thing that might help would be one of those sled type shooting rest . Can't go to that for myself. Heavy guns are for the bench but who likes carrying a 10 or 15 lb. or more, gun in the woods. Fine if you can shoot from a truck but what kind of hunting is that!

Just watched the video. I'm pleasantly surprised to see that long bullet doing so well in a 1-48. Made a believer out of me. You just never know what a bullet gun combination can do for a good shooter until one tries it. Part of that equation is the shooter has to know what he's doing. Great learning curve for me. And I'm far from not being new to this sport. I would have never thought that bullet would stabilize.

Back