490 Grain Bullet in 1:48 Twist

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Very impressive Lewis,

After seeing you shooting heavy bullets in a 1-48 twist makes me wonder why I messed with GM LRH barrels. Who am I kidding I like shooting all of them.

I hear ya my friend! I love my GM LRH Barrels, But These 2 Old BONE STOCK TC Renegades (Actually 3 of them) Have COMPLETELY amazed me to say the Least. I have shot these Stock 48 Twist Barrels every bit as good as i do my LRH Barrels, Which seems CRAZY to me?? But it’s a Fact, it’s on Camera, and Paper

I believe the key to success with these Stock 1:48 Twist Barrels is to make Darn sure and Shoot PURE SOFT LEAD. Back when i had all of the Problems with the 1:48s, I was using unknown Lead? That turned out to be REALLY Hard Stuff

I hear you man , the guns you are shooting are hunting rifles. The only thing that might help would be one of those sled type shooting rest . Can't go to that for myself. Heavy guns are for the bench but who likes carrying a 10 or 15 lb. or more, gun in the woods. Fine if you can shoot from a truck but what kind of hunting is that!
I do have a lead sled now, but back in the day, the shoulder took it all. I just realized I’ve left my truck running for an hour while I’ve been goofing off with a breech plug.....#easilydistracted

@Idaholewis have you been surprised at how well the 1:48 twist is handling these larger bullets? It seems to be going against everything I've read.

Very surprised, I didn’t expect this Stock TC Renegade to shoot this Well, This thing shoots as good as my Green Mountain LRH Barrels :lewis:

One of these Old TC Renegades in .50 or .54 Cal would be PERFECT for those Water Buffalo you spoke of. Do you ever see, or hear of these Old TC Rifles in your Area? They are Abundant here in the States

Start posting those 1-48 results on evilbay and you'll drive down the value of the LRH barrels. 😂 ..be careful though...you'll drive up the price of the 1-48 twist TC guns out there!

I don’t see many of the GM LRH Barrels for sale these Days, They have become pretty Scarce.

Very surprised, I didn’t expect this Stock TC Renegade to shoot this Well, This thing shoots as good as my Green Mountain LRH Barrels :lewis:

One of these Old TC Renegades in .50 or .54 Cal would be PERFECT for those Water Buffalo you spoke of. Do you ever see, or hear of these Old TC Rifles in your Area? They are Abundant here in the States

Rare, but I have the opportunity to buy one right now. Based on your suggestions I put an add out and got a hit. Need to speak with the guy further to ensure it's in better condition than the last hawken I bought.

Rare, but I have the opportunity to buy one right now. Based on your suggestions I put an add out and got a hit. Need to speak with the guy further to ensure it's in better condition than the last hawken I bought.

I hope it works out for ya Bushfire! I swear by the Thompson Center Hawken and Renegades, They are DARN GOOD Rifles :lewis: The Hawken was TC’s Fancy Rifle, and the Renegade was the “Workhorse” They function the same, share the Same Parts, Is it a ”Set Trigger“ Model? Is it a .50, or a .54 Cal?

I hope it works out for ya Bushfire! I swear by the Thompson Center Hawken and Renegades, They are DARN GOOD Rifles :lewis: The Hawken was TC’s Fancy Rifle, and the Renegade was the “Workhorse” They function the same, share the Same Parts, Is it a ”Set Trigger“ Model? Is it a .50, or a .54 Cal?

I don't know anything about it at the moment. I just received an email saying he had one, haven't heard back since I emailed him yet.

I seem to find myself more drawn to the work horse models in any guns I buy. I like nice guns but to me everything I own has to serve a purpose and a pretty gun I don't want to scratch doesn't fit well. Having said that, if they did a maple option in the pedersoli hunter I wouldn't hesitate.

On a Side note, I have everything sitting here by the Door to test this Bullet (I chose 90 Grains of Powder for this Session, That should BARK pretty Good :)) I Have been busy and Haven’t had a Chance to Shoot these yet, EARLY Tomorrow morning right at Daylight is the Plan :lewis: It’s getting HOT here in the Day Now, 90s the last few Days 🥵
Yer gonna use HOW MANY GRAINS...........90 I didn't know your scale went past 80gr. LOL Out of ALL the vids of yours I've watched thru the past few yrs ( way before I found MML ) I've never heard you say you were using anything other than 80gr SWISS 2F. I cant remember if ya even used that same charge in your .45 Mountaineer vids ? So I had to do a double take when 90gr caught my eye. I had to see if ya had gotten a new scale or we had an IdahoLewis imposter on hand LOL.

The bloke said from new there has been two tight spots in the bore that line up with the area the thimbles for the ramrod are fitted. Other than that it appears to be in very good nick. 50 cal. No set trigger by the looks.

Attachments

• IMG_5649.jpg
    IMG_5649.jpg
    62.2 KB · Views: 13
Hey Bushfire, nice looking rifle.
Hear what your saying about the barrel. Seems kinda odd.
Can't imagine that they may have drilled and tapped the barrel all the way through and the screw tips are the tight spots?

Hey Bushfire, nice looking rifle.
Hear what your saying about the barrel. Seems kinda odd.
Can't imagine that they may have drilled and tapped the barrel all the way through and the screw tips are the tight spots?

It does seem odd, not sure whether it's something to be concerned about or not though.

Latest posts

Back