490 Grain Bullet in 1:48 Twist

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
In all my years, I've owned 2 Thompson Centers. Very fine rifles. I've also owned and still have several Traditions rifles, all good shooters, just not as high quality. Don't know if any are available to you in Australia. As a second choice.

In all my years, I've owned 2 Thompson Centers. Very fine rifles. I've also owned and still have several Traditions rifles, all good shooters, just not as high quality. Don't know if any are available to you in Australia. As a second choice.

In terms of traditional rifles the last two brands we could import were pedersoli and lyman. Lyman decided at the end of last year to stop, according to the importer our govt made them do some after market change before it was allowed in the country. They decided for the small market it wasn't worth the effort. So if I want a new sidelock pedersoli is my only option. And with the price increase it means a ped hawken hunter at $1600 is the cheapest I will get. That's Australia for ya, everything is dear when you're half a world a way from everywhere and a nanny govt.

Apologies to Lewis for hijacking the thread.

Yer gonna use HOW MANY GRAINS...........90 I didn't know your scale went past 80gr. LOL Out of ALL the vids of yours I've watched thru the past few yrs ( way before I found MML ) I've never heard you say you were using anything other than 80gr SWISS 2F. I cant remember if ya even used that same charge in your .45 Mountaineer vids ? So I had to do a double take when 90gr caught my eye. I had to see if ya had gotten a new scale or we had an IdahoLewis imposter on hand LOL.

You know me Nine :) 80 Grains of Swiss 2F is my GO TO Charge, For ALMOST everything. But i do change up now n then, 85 is pretty common for me in my 1:18 Twist .45 Long Range Rig, I don’t shoot 90-95 Much, But i do now n then. The reason for 90 here in this 1:48 Twist was to get this BIG Bullet Moving a Little Faster, It worked :lewis: But i have my Suspicions that 80 Grains Would have done Just as well :)

The bloke said from new there has been two tight spots in the bore that line up with the area the thimbles for the ramrod are fitted. Other than that it appears to be in very good nick. 50 cal. No set trigger by the looks.

That is a TC Renegade “Hunter” Model (They are Single Triggers) I believe the Early models had Steel Butt Plates, And The Later Models had Recoil Pads. Does that Rifle have the QLA Muzzle? If so, i would AVOID it like the Plague! Otherwise it looks like a REALLY NICE Rifle. Me personally, I am not crazy about the Single Trigger Guns, The trigger Pull Weight is non adjustable, and are usually quite Heavy from the Factory. But as a Hunting Rifle, and if you can Handle a Stiffer Trigger Pull, That TC Renegade “Hunter” Would Serve you Well :lewis:

As for the Tight Spots in the Bore, i would have to See, Feel it? As long as the Bore was in Excellent Condition, with NO Pitting, I wouldn’t let the tight Spots bother me. One of my TOP Performing Rifles is a TC Hawken Stock, With a .45 Cal, 1:20 Twist Rice Drop in Barrel, This Rice Barrel Has a VERY Noticeable Tight Spot in it, about 8-10 inches down the Bore i hit a Spot with my “Slip Fit” Bullets where they come to a DEAD STOP, and have to be Pushed through Several inches of Barrel, then it goes back to Normal. This Barrel Shoots LIGHTS OUT GOOD

Again, As long as the Barrel does NOT Have the QLA Muzzle, and the Bore is in Good Shape, With NO Pitting, I Personally wouldn’t let the Tight Spots bother me. From the Picture, the Rifle looks REALLY Good

That is a TC Renegade “Hunter” Model (They are Single Triggers) I believe the Early models had Steel Butt Plates, And The Later Models had Recoil Pads. Does that Rifle have the QLA Muzzle? If so, i would AVOID it like the Plague! Otherwise it looks like a REALLY NICE Rifle. Me personally, I am not crazy about the Single Trigger Guns, The trigger Pull Weight is non adjustable, and are usually quite Heavy from the Factory. But as a Hunting Rifle, and if you can Handle a Stiffer Trigger Pull, That TC Renegade “Hunter” Would Serve you Well :lewis:

As for the Tight Spots in the Bore, i would have to See, Feel it? As long as the Bore was in Excellent Condition, with NO Pitting, I wouldn’t let the tight Spots bother me. One of my TOP Performing Rifles is a TC Hawken Stock, With a .45 Cal, 1:20 Twist Rice Drop in Barrel, This Rice Barrel Has a VERY Noticeable Tight Spot in it, about 8-10 inches down the Bore i hit a Spot with my “Slip Fit” Bullets where they come to a DEAD STOP, and have to be Pushed through Several inches of Barrel, then it goes back to Normal. This Barrel Shoots LIGHTS OUT GOOD

Again, As long as the Barrel does NOT Have the QLA Muzzle, and the Bore is in Good Shape, With NO Pitting, I Personally wouldn’t let the Tight Spots bother me. From the Picture, the Rifle looks REALLY Good

I'll ask about the QLA, I am fussy with triggers though. Bush stalking is fine to have it heavier but anything off a rest, even for hunting I prefer a set trigger it a very light one. I find my accuracy goes down if I know when the trigger is going to break, not because of recoil I just get impatient I think.

Attached are some groups he sent through, 25 and 50 yards. Quality gets eaten up uploading the pics. 1" groups at 25 yds, 1.5" at 50. Using 300 and 180 gn 44 cal sabots.

EDIT: the rifle does have QLA and trigger was lightened by a gun smith.

IMG_5651.jpg
IMG_5652.jpg

Last edited:
They def can. Only a problem with TC. Some were drilled off center and conicals would shoot terribly. But sabots would do fine. The ones ive seen were obvious. Not all were bad tho. I have a TC blackdiamond that had a qla. I removed it and recrowned it before I ever shot it. On a model with a dove tail front sight, cutting it off is more involved tho. Unless you shoot with a scope then you dont have to have the front sight.

They def can. Only a problem with TC. Some were drilled off center and conicals would shoot terribly. But sabots would do fine. The ones ive seen were obvious. Not all were bad tho. I have a TC blackdiamond that had a qla. I removed it and recrowned it before I ever shot it. On a model with a dove tail front sight, cutting it off is more involved tho. Unless you shoot with a scope then you dont have to have the front sight.

Putting a scope on a muzzleloader to me is like putting coke in a single malt!

Thank you for the explanation, I hadn't heard about them negatively before. Having said that I've never thought about it really. I only plan on using sabot's. The groups above are all using sabots and a scope, I would really have expected a bit better from such close range (28 and 55 yards).

The asking price is around $1,000 cheaper than a new pedersoli though, makes it tempting.

I'll ask about the QLA, I am fussy with triggers though. Bush stalking is fine to have it heavier but anything off a rest, even for hunting I prefer a set trigger it a very light one. I find my accuracy goes down if I know when the trigger is going to break, not because of recoil I just get impatient I think.

Attached are some groups he sent through, 25 and 50 yards. Quality gets eaten up uploading the pics. 1" groups at 25 yds, 1.5" at 50. Using 300 and 180 gn 44 cal sabots.

EDIT: the rifle does have QLA and trigger was lightened by a gun smith.

View attachment 9880
View attachment 9881

That’s a SHAME! I will give you my Personal opinion, Because of that QLA Muzzle, I wouldn’t take that Rifle UNLESS i could Get it for Scrap Metal Price. The QLA was an Absolute HORRIBLE idea. I have owned 2 of them, i would have been lucky to hit a School Bus Broadside. The QLA Muzzle TC’s Just about Ruined me on Muzzleloaders. The last outing i had with a QLA Muzzle TC was a .54 Hawken, I had to fight myself to keep from Wrapping that thing around a Tree. They are JUNK With Conicals, I wouldn’t even have one for Sabots (which is what they claim will shoot good out of them) There is just NO REASON for such a thing.

A trigger pull Makes, or Breaks a Rifle to me, The few Single Trigger TC Rifles that i have Shot were HORRIBLE at Best. I ended up doing a Modification to 1 of them (My TC New Englander) And posted it on here, Several have followed it and Made good Triggers, i know of at least 1 Guy that went a little To far and Ruined his Tumbler, Having to Replace it. My Modification is NOT for everyone :) The “Set Trigger” Model Guns are the GOLD MINE in my Eye, You can use the Set trigger on the Bench for a SUPER LIGHT trigger, Or simply Cock the Gun and Pull the Front Trigger in a Hunting Situation, You DON’T HAVE to use the Set trigger, But at least it’s there when you want a light weight Precision trigger :lewis: The Single Trigger Guns simply Are what they Are

That’s a SHAME! I will give you my Personal opinion, Because of that QLA Muzzle, I wouldn’t take that Rifle UNLESS i could Get it for Scrap Metal Price. The QLA was an Absolute HORRIBLE idea. I have owned 2 of them, i would have been lucky to hit a School Bus Broadside. The QLA Muzzle TC’s Just about Ruined me on Muzzleloaders. The last outing i had with a QLA Muzzle TC was a .54 Hawken, I had to fight myself to keep from Wrapping that thing around a Tree. They are JUNK With Conicals, I wouldn’t even have one for Sabots (which is what they claim will shoot good out of them) There is just NO REASON for such a thing.

A trigger pull Makes, or Breaks a Rifle to me, The few Single Trigger TC Rifles that i have Shot were HORRIBLE at Best. I ended up doing a Modification to 1 of them (My TC New Englander) And posted it on here, Several have followed it and Made good Triggers, i know of at least 1 Guy that went a little To far and Ruined his Tumbler, Having to Replace it. My Modification is NOT for everyone :) The “Set Trigger” Model Guns are the GOLD MINE in my Eye, You can use the Set trigger on the Bench for a SUPER LIGHT trigger, Or simply Cock the Gun and Pull the Front Trigger in a Hunting Situation, You DON’T HAVE to use the Set trigger, But at least it’s there when you want a light weight Precision trigger :lewis: The Single Trigger Guns simply Are what they Are

As always mate I appreciate your honesty and insight. Perhaps the QLA is the reason for those groups too. I'll forever think of the videos of you tack holing rounds as the benchmark for what a muzzleloader can do.

Might be just worthwhile saving up for the pedersoli in that case. I've always wanted a sidelock so won't be satisfied until I do I think. It would be tempting to get a Missouri river but my shoulder doesn't need the aggravation.

As always mate I appreciate your honesty and insight. Perhaps the QLA is the reason for those groups too. I'll forever think of the videos of you tack holing rounds as the benchmark for what a muzzleloader can do.

Might be just worthwhile saving up for the pedersoli in that case. I've always wanted a sidelock so won't be satisfied until I do I think. It would be tempting to get a Missouri river but my shoulder doesn't need the aggravation.

I would hold out for a Better Rifle my friend :lewis: It will Come, And you will be WAY Happier than if you had Settled for something less. Keep your eye open for a “Set Trigger“ Model TC Renegade. It’s a Shame That it’s SO DIFFICULT to get a Gun to you, I can find these Rifles ALL the time in the 250-300 US Dollar Range, I could buy a Truckload of them at Pawn Shops around here for that.

How is it to Ship Lead Bullets to you? I would like to See one of my Bullets Kill a Water Buffalo :) When you get your Rifle, if shipping Bullets isn’t a HUGE deal? I will help you out with Some of my BEST Bullets, From Custom Molds i had made :lewis:

I would hold out for a Better Rifle my friend :lewis: It will Come, And you will be WAY Happier than if you had Settled for something less. Keep your eye open for a “Set Trigger“ Model TC Renegade. It’s a Shame That it’s SO DIFFICULT to get a Gun to you, I can find these Rifles ALL the time in the 250-300 US Dollar Range, I could buy a Truckload of them at Pawn Shops around here for that.

How is it to Ship Lead Bullets to you? I would like to See one of my Bullets Kill a Water Buffalo :) When you get your Rifle, if shipping Bullets isn’t a HUGE deal? I will help you out with Some of my BEST Bullets, From Custom Molds i had made :lewis:

It is possible to import guns through a dealer but the fees make it not worth it.

Ammo wouldn't be legal to simply ship over like you would a book say but there could be ways to do it. I'd certainly love to buy some off you if I could. The buff hunt is postponed due to covid, city idiots in Melbourne evidently find it hard to go by the rules so we've had another outbreak and our state is cut off from the rest of the country. Frustrating for us country folk though!

If you ever wanted to hunt Australia I'd be happy to host you for some deer hunting, you could try your bullets out yourself 👍

Latest posts

Back