.50 cal 1:38" ROT

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sparkitoff

Reaction score
I am eyeballing a sidelock rifle with a .50 caliber 1:38-inch rate of twist. I am seeking to extend my traditional ML to 150-yards with consistent accuracy (I currently have several that will do 100-yards all day long). I have looked at what I have and the PRB shooters are tough to stretch to 150-yards for hunting use. I'd like to go to a conical shooter with peep sights or even an old style scope and sight-in an inch high at 150-yards. Does anyone have experience with a 1:38" ROT? The rifle can handle pretty stout loads so getting good velocity should not be an issue, but what projectile and weight? If I get it I am willing to experiment some but I am hesitant due to the odd rate of twist. Thanks

Although it was an inline..I used to have a TC Thunder Hawk 50 cal. I do believe that it was a 1-38 twist. I shot Goex FFG powder and 300 grn Hornady SST sabots.I had fine accuracy with that combo. My young son dropped a nice Wt. doe at just under 100yds. I think that the 1-38 would shoot the right sized conical just fine. I did a quick search on a twist calculator that I use and something in the .85 inch would work in a 1-38. I'm thinking that the 385 grn Hornady GP would shoot good.

Last edited:
My 1-38 Firehawk .50 is the most accurate and consistent muzzleloader I've ever owned. Its come to be my favorite twist rate. I will be trying full calibers soon. Got to work up my nerve as she only weight 6 3/4 pounds...

1:38 should do whatever you need, my Thunderhawks will do it with 1:38 as will my Black Diamonds.
I have a CVA Colorado Musket Mag sidelock with either a 1:32 or 1:38 cant remember right now that Ive ever shot that Ive been meaning to get out and give it a whirl.

I don’t have experience with that exact Twist, but i am Confident it will be Just fine. I have a 1:32 Twist .54 Cal, and i have Shot a .50 Cal 1:32 Twist Lyman Plains Rifle, The 1:32 Twist does Fabulous with the Lyman Plains Bullet which measures .85 Long, and Like Harleysboss Mentioned Above, The Hornady Great Plains Bullet at .85 and 385 Grains.

I prefer the 1:28 Twist .50 Cal for the 450 to 500 Grain Bullets that i Shoot, i even have a 1:24 Twist Pedersoli, But i See Nothing Wrong with the 1:38 Twist with a .80-.85 Long 385-400 Grain Bullet :lewis:

Latest posts

Back