.50 cal mold equivalent to Hornady PA Comical bullet?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

10ring1

Reaction score
I am new to casting and have so.e equipment and going to get started. I love the PA conical from Hornady in my flintlocks and inline for Pa/MD hunting. Shots mostly less than 100 yds .

Anyone know of a Lyman/Accurate mould that is similar?

This is the Pennsylvania conical bullet I am referring to. 240 grains

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1002235363?pid=730932

Noone? Ok next question. If I order a custom mould , can I have a mould made for this exact bullet? Would their be any copyright issues with the mould maker?

Accurate Molds cannot do anything like that. That Cupped/Hollow Base will be your Problem, You will have to go through a Mold Maker like Brooks Tru-Bore that will do a Custom Nose Pour. These Molds are EXPENSIVE and can be EXTREMELY finicky to Cast from.

Those little Bullets are Swaged, they are NOT Cast. Another problem will be the Knurling on the Sides for Lube, instead of Lube Grooves. I’m not saying it can’t be done, But if you can find someone to do it? Be prepared to Pay a Pretty Penny

I like to shoot what I like to shoot and I honor your decision to do the same, but 52bore has a valid reply. What do you expect to gain with a short conical?????? Lot of expense. The 60 grains is almost meaningless if the bullet is well placed.

Just to let you know I tried to do the same to extend the range of my .50 sidelock years ago. Went in a circle until I came back to a PRB. I did try wheel weight PRB for a while to see if I could get some difference but basically there was none. At least that I could notice.

Thank you for all the replies guys. I didn't realize how complicated it was going to be to duplicate this bullet. Someone had also suggested the maxi ball was a very similar option. I may end up trying that as well. Bad karma, Thanks for that link. That's definitely something close that I may look into. And Michigan muzzy, I like to look of that too. Most likely it will be one of those two options

Why worry about 60gr difference vs a RB.
Would you feel the same if he were shooting a round ball of identical dimensions that weighs 60 grains less? Weight does matter. I’m okay with using a .50 PA conical or similar on cow elk. I would prefer a .54, .58 or even larger. Round balls in .50 are marginal. In my opinion.

This is another mold that might be useful. If you know your bore diameter and size this bullet accordingly it should be very close to the PA conical. Obviously sans the hollow base and lube holding knurled sides. Right at 260 grains.395AC284-110B-4275-B300-562A9EB71C2F.jpeg

This is another mold that might be useful. If you know your bore diameter and size this bullet accordingly it should be very close to the PA conical. Obviously sans the hollow base and lube holding knurled sides. Right at 260 grains.View attachment 12813
This one is very similar. Thank you

A lot of us feel a .50 round ball is very under rated. You put it in the boiler room and a .50 PRB will get it done. Cheap too. But if you need to explore options go for it. Thats part of the fun. Just wish I had some more info to share.

You might try a R.E.A.L. bullet in 250 grain. It’s a short little guy and some folks have pretty good accuracy with it. Lee is showing they’re out of stock on the mold right now. I think they would do well from a 48 twist or slower. I never had much luck with them out of my 28 twist guns, I haven’t shot them in my 48 twist Renegade yet though. I sent the mold to Lewis a while back and he shot a few of them. I don’t remember which gun he used, and I don’t remember how they shot for him. A patched round ball will get you deeper into an animal than that bullet, I would bet, and I’d also bet the expansion would be close to the same. That PA conical Is essentially a round ball that is elongated so you don’t have to use a patch.

You might try a R.E.A.L. bullet in 250 grain. It’s a short little guy and some folks have pretty good accuracy with it. Lee is showing they’re out of stock on the mold right now. I think they would do well from a 48 twist or slower. I never had much luck with them out of my 28 twist guns, I haven’t shot them in my 48 twist Renegade yet though. I sent the mold to Lewis a while back and he shot a few of them. I don’t remember which gun he used, and I don’t remember how they shot for him. A patched round ball will get you deeper into an animal than that bullet, I would bet, and I’d also bet the expansion would be close to the same. That PA conical Is essentially a round ball that is elongated so you don’t have to use a patch.
The REAL bullet mould was the first one I picked up. That and a round ball of course. That is going to be the first casting I try when I get everything set up. Was going to try those before I spent money on a custom mould.

Back