.50 Cal TC Renegade Test #3 “Maxi’s”

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Idaholewis

Reaction score
This turned out TOTALLY different than I thought it would, I tested the TC Maxi Ball, and The TC Maxi Hunter this Morning in the Old Stock 1:48 Twist .50 Cal Renegade. My Rifle Doesn’t have Much use for either of these Bullets, Especially the Maxi “Hunter” This is the Worst this Rifle has Shot. I wasn’t gonna Bother Uploading the Video, But then i decided to go ahead and Run the Video, You can See exactly how it unfolded. My Shots Felt GREAT, The Rifle Simply said “NO WAY JOSE” to these 2

The 3 Target “Pasters” are covering the 3 Shot “Maxi BALL” Group, i Pointed the Target toward the light to See them. And the other 3 Shots are the “Maxi HUNTERS” I seen Plenty Enough here to Dismiss these Bullets from Further Testing. I could tinker With Powder Charges, Lube, and Op Wads to Possibly make these Groups better, But Why Bother? I have MUCH Better Bullets than these, as seen in the Other Videos, A few of them Shooting a Ragged Hole from this Rifle.
lbjwnlzl.jpg

The above is a PERFECT Example of why i do Short Range Bullet tests at 60-80 Yards or So, If a Bullet will not Shoot here, there is NO REASON to go Farther out. If a Bullet interests me, I will work with it here (50-60 Yards) Til i get it Shooting a Ragged Hole, THEN i Move out and Shoot Distance

Although I was disappointed in the results like you were Lewis, I'm glad you took the time at this range and to upload the video. Personally never shot either one of these bullets but heard both good and so so results. Seeing is believing. Definitely like to see the Lyman Plains at longer range.

Thank you. I have been watching a couple Maxi moulds on eBay while I wait to get out of corona jail. If I do buy another 54 mould, I think it will be a Lyman GP.

Thanks Lewis, you have verified what I have found with my renegade. I kept thinking it was me with my old eyes but thanks to your efforts I know better. Off to find a bullet that it will shoot.
Thanks again

Although I was disappointed in the results like you were Lewis, I'm glad you took the time at this range and to upload the video. Personally never shot either one of these bullets but heard both good and so so results. Seeing is believing. Definitely like to see the Lyman Plains at longer range.

Longer Range with the Lyman Plains and Paper Patch are coming up :lewis:

Thank you. I have been watching a couple Maxi moulds on eBay while I wait to get out of corona jail. If I do buy another 54 mould, I think it will be a Lyman GP.

I will be doing this Same testing coming up SOON with a Stock 1:48 Twist .54 Cal, I have LOTS of Confidence in the Lyman Plains Bullet there as well, I have shot it in Stock .54s, As well as Sent them to Friends to Try in their Rifles, ALL GOOD Reports Back. My Dad Shoots my .54 Lyman Plains out to 200 Yards in his Stock 1:48 Twist TC Renegade, With a Skinner Barrel Peep Sight, He can stay in a Little White Pie Plate at that Distance No problem :lewis:

Thanks Lewis, you have verified what I have found with my renegade. I kept thinking it was me with my old eyes but thanks to your efforts I know better. Off to find a bullet that it will shoot.
Thanks again

When you hear me State “i wish i had tried a Group of the Maxi Balls With ONLY the Bottom Groove Lubed” Here is why i said that, i tested that Quite sometime ago in my .50 Green Mountain LRH Barrel, BUT it is Also a Fast 1:28 Twist. The Maxi Ball Showed “Reasonable” Potential above, It might be Worth Re-Visiting with JUST the Bottom Groove Lubed

Here is that Older Maxi Ball Test, BUT this was With my Fast 1:28 Twist 50 Green Mountain LRH Barrel, and ONLY the Bottom Groove Lubed. I have Seen Lube MAKE & BREAK Accuracy!! Not all Bullet Lubes are Created Equal that’s for Sure! The Maxi Balls are HUGE LUBE HOGS, Which is TOTALLY Unnecessary

Well that is interesting. What I had assumed was a plus in Maxi Ball lubrication may in fact be a liability.

Very interesting Lew. My stock 1-48 TC Hawkins shot almost identical groups at 60-80 yards with the Maxi ball. Not being a total MZ fanatic at the time I just wrote it off.

I tried those heavy maxi hunters in my buckskinner 1/20 twist barrel and they didn't shoot well either. But the 275 grain maxi hunters did shoot decent for me. I'm talking "store bought" bullets. I've never tried casting any of my own bullets.

My first muzzleloader, a TC Hawken in .54, I got used from a friend. He had managed to kill a couple deer with it with the Maxi-ball bullets. I never could get them to hit the same place twice, I just loaded them directly on the powder.
I gave up and decided to try an inline.
Later I tried patched balls in the old .54, and they shot better than the maxi's for sure.
I still have that .54 barrel, but it doesn't have any sights at all on it presently. And a stainless GM LRH barrel is in the stock.:lewis:

I do a lot of reading about TC barrels and different loads for them. While I've read some mixed results with the maxi-ball...some shoot it well and some don't...I've NEVER heard anyone ever say they got a decent group out of the maxi-hunters in a stock TC barrel.
I've never tried either one out of my .54 factory renegade, but mine shoots the Hornady 425 gr. GPB (now discontinued of course) very well loaded directly on top of 100 grains of 2f. They still make a .50 cal version of them. I believe I read that the Lyman plains is almost a match for them?

Good post Lewis. Those Maxi Balls and Maxi Hunters bring back some good memories. Not that they shot any better for us back in the early 1980's but they were the only thing we had to shoot and hunt with. The groups you produced were about equal to what we shot and we were happy with that. As long as we could hit an 8'' paper plate consistently at 50 to 60 yds that was all we needed to kill a deer. And many a deers we did kill with those Maxi's back than. Those Maxi's would put the hammer down on whitetails for sure.
With all the other selections we have now, I would never even consider going back to them. I really don't know any guys that shoot them any more. Funny thing is, when I do see them for sale they are crazy expensive compared to other lead conicals.
For a while I hunted with Hornady 385 gr Great Plains Bullets. They shoot very well out of my 1-48 twist with lots of different charges. It is a very inexpensive bullet but very accurate for me any way. Was wondering if that conical was on your list of bullets to test in the 1-48 twist Renegade.

You sure you didn’t tie into too much o’that corn likker the night before shooting those Maxi’s Lewis??
Walk

Sober as a Judge My Friend, This Rifle doesn’t like these Bullets/Load, Glad I didn’t have a Bet on this one, i would have lost. I felt Confident this Rifle Would Shoot these Good, NOTTA!

I would have thought them Maxi’s would shoot as well. They do very well in my GPH, and I am wanting to try them in my 1:28 TC .50 Prohunter once the range reopens. What would be your thoughts on the .50 Lyman Plains pure lead in that 1:28 Prohunter. Thinking about ordering up that mold.
Walk

Good post Lewis. Those Maxi Balls and Maxi Hunters bring back some good memories. Not that they shot any better for us back in the early 1980's but they were the only thing we had to shoot and hunt with. The groups you produced were about equal to what we shot and we were happy with that. As long as we could hit an 8'' paper plate consistently at 50 to 60 yds that was all we needed to kill a deer. And many a deers we did kill with those Maxi's back than. Those Maxi's would put the hammer down on whitetails for sure.
With all the other selections we have now, I would never even consider going back to them. I really don't know any guys that shoot them any more. Funny thing is, when I do see them for sale they are crazy expensive compared to other lead conicals.
For a while I hunted with Hornady 385 gr Great Plains Bullets. They shoot very well out of my 1-48 twist with lots of different charges. It is a very inexpensive bullet but very accurate for me any way. Was wondering if that conical was on your list of bullets to test in the 1-48 twist Renegade.

That 385 Hornady Great Plains you speak of is a GOOD Shooting Bullet HJ :lewis: in my opinion it is one of, if not THE Best Store Bought Bullet you Can Buy. They are Swaged, So the Weights are RIGHT ON, and whoever makes them, they Package them very Well for Hornady so they Can’t get Damaged.

Traditions Sells the EXACT same Bullet, But they are in an Open Pack so they can Bang Against eachother and “Self Destruct” This is a SHAME, As it’s a DARN Good Bullet, But POORLY Packaged For Traditions (No doubt to save a Dollar) I would AVOID these like the PLAGUE! Buy the Hornady Brand, They had sense Enough to Package them Correctly :lewis:
bURl48Xl.jpg

With The Base being what Steers the Bullet, These things don’t stand much of a Chance at Shooting Accurately
1k0KUchl.jpg

Back