50 Cal vs 45 Cal

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Swamp

Supporter
Supporting member
Reaction score
I keep talking myself out of buying a 45 cal ML'er (1/28 twist). I have a 50 Cal TC Omega (1/28 twist) that can shoot 40, 44 & 45 cal bullets with sabots, or a full bore 50 cal bullet. Other than wanting one, I just don't think a 45 cal in the same twist is going to give me any advantage over my current 50 cal for hunting?

Now if a 1/28 twist 45 cal will stabilize the longer heavier 400 + gr bullets, then maybe it does???? Thoughts?

I keep talking myself out of buying a 45 cal ML'er (1/28 twist). I have a 50 Cal TC Omega (1/28 twist) that can shoot 40, 44 & 45 cal bullets with sabots, or a full bore 50 cal bullet. Other than wanting one, I just don't think a 45 cal in the same twist is going to give me any advantage over my current 50 cal for hunting?

Now if a 1/28 twist 45 cal will stabilize the longer heavier 400 + gr bullets, then maybe it does???? Thoughts?
I have a 1:28 .45 Encore and used it a couple of years to shoot a number of animals. It never really did anything for me that my 1:28 .50s will not do. Other than shoot a lighter .40 pretty well and faster. My .50s have never shot .40 and .45 bullets as well as .45 and .50 bullets.

Based on my recent experience with a fast twist .45, I think that’s the only way to go.

Personally I won’t buy any more rifles in 1:28.

Ive guessimated a 45cal 1-28 will shoot the Fury .401 240gr OT in a sabot. Chances are the 45 can shoot them faster than a 50cal with sabots and with better accuracy. 1-22twist or faster though is where a 45cal begins to shine. Sure a 50cal 1-28 can stabilize a 460gr but the sectional density and BC of a 460gr 45cal is better.

In a .45 I'd lean more toward 1:22, 1:20 or 1:18 over any 1:28. The 1:20 & 1:18 are legendary for what they bring to the table, in the last 3yrs with 2-.45 1:22 ML's, they've proven to be very forgiving & versatile with a good range of bullet to bore & sabot combos.

I would stick with the .50 1 in 28 for heavy 400 grain+ lead and might go even larger in caliber and slower twist. Another over looked benefit for the .50 is that the guns are usually lighter because many manufactures use the same barrel diameter for both .50 and .45.

The debate on 45 vs 50 for inlines depends on what you looking to do IMHO. If your hunting under 150 to 200 yard either work fine with the correct bullet/load and practice. If hunting I would do .50 cal - especially if traveling away from home. .50 cal supplies are much easier to find at local guns hops and box stores. If your looking to reach out longer range and have the talent and practice try the .45 in 1 in 20, it might have an edge in theory over a .50 cal 1 in 28. If your into competition, build the gun to the spec of the competition rules and practice. I have both calibers in multiple twists. They all go bang and hit the target if I do my part.

Last edited:

My TC Renegades side locks have Rice 1-17 and work with BACO 530 gr PP 443 and 444 with no issues /Ed

Remember the twist you need to stabilize a bullet is directly related to the length of the bullet, NOT the weight. A 300 gr bullet in a 50 is relatively short but the same weight bullet in a 45 will need faster twist because the slug is longer. Use a sabot with a 40 cal pill in that 45 bore and the bullet gets even longer. I use .458 McGowan 18 twist barrels when building a rifle for sabots and they shoot sub MOA out to 200. I don't do 50 cal but would guess that 1 in 28 would be OK.

FWIW, I have shot targets with Lyman's 500 grain 457125 bullet from my 52 Knight DE with a 1:26 twist. I used Knight's 52/458 silver sabots.

"Long Range" where I hunt is 50 yards, but at that distance a charge of 100-150 grains (Volume) Pyro RS stabilized the long slugs. Even though half or more of the bullet extends beyond the sabot and the point of impact is 4+" lower, entrance holes were round, and bullets didn't tumble when penetrating logs.

IMO the real advantage of my .45 TC Omega is high speed with light bullets. It's my BP "varmint rifle". Don't have a chrono, but 110 grain .357 water quenched WW bullets in .45/357 sabots over 150 grains (Volume) RS will put 1" wide, 1/8" deep craters in heavy mild steel plate. All I know is they are F-A-S-T.

I too been looking at a 45 cal. One i been looking at is a cva. A CVA Accura 45 cal LR x nitride with a 30 inch barrel. I have a CVA Optima V2 50 cal LR nitride rifle. It is a tack driver. Never owned a 45 cal. I would shoot like a 200 gr bullet. Like a hornady 200gr sst bullet. I dont shoot heavy bullets. I shoot a 250gr sst out of my 50 cal.

FWIW, I have shot targets with Lyman's 500 grain 457125 bullet from my 52 Knight DE with a 1:26 twist. I used Knight's 52/458 silver sabots.

"Long Range" where I hunt is 50 yards, but at that distance a charge of 100-150 grains (Volume) Pyro RS stabilized the long slugs. Even though half or more of the bullet extends beyond the sabot and the point of impact is 4+" lower, entrance holes were round, and bullets didn't tumble when penetrating logs.

IMO the real advantage of my .45 TC Omega is high speed with light bullets. It's my BP "varmint rifle". Don't have a chrono, but 110 grain .357 water quenched WW bullets in .45/357 sabots over 150 grains (Volume) RS will put 1" wide, 1/8" deep craters in heavy mild steel plate. All I know is they are F-A-S-T.
Get a chrono cause fast means nothing without verification , and speed matters for extended range accuracy even @1250 ftps @ 700 yds with a 530 gr PP rocket in the 74 Sharps . And short range you just ruin meat or real estate with your load but you probably know that too/Ed

Get a chrono cause fast means nothing without verification . . .
Point taken and I've owned several, but at 50 yards or less an exact speed doesn't matter to coyotes, armadillos, feral cats etc. I don't eat them so there's no meat loss. There are no ricochets or pass throughs because soft lead bullets self-destruct on impact, and the trajectory seems like a laser beam. I don't even have to lead running targets.
🙂

It struck me while reading this thread, that Fred Rodney of Gonic Arms made his 45 cal. GA-90 barrels with a 1:22" twist.
It's a shame he's gone.
Perhaps he was on to something?
Gonic 20 inch Bbl on frame.jpg

The debate of which cal n twist over the .45 vs .50 is more of what a person wants n goes n finds all the data to help him/her make their choice of which thy already had. It boils down to a personal choice ! I think a .40 is a better choice, how does that grab ya ! lol

Latest posts

Back