>50 cal & Why

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I started this hobby back about 1986. There were still dozens of manufacturers and importers. You could find about anything from 32 caliber to 72. As years went by, the numbers dwindled in participants AND companies. Both CVA and Thompson Center went strictly to Inlines. They and other gun makers like Traditions decided to only produce 50 caliber guns, making it the Industry Standard. Medium twist barrels (1-48”) could shoot either ball or bullet well. Traditions has cut back on its offerings with many models being discontinued. However, they still make the 32-caliber Crockett Rifle. Lyman has left the Muzzle Loading arena altogether causing Investarm to market for themselves. Pedersoli still has a variety of calibers to choose from.

I started with a 50 Caliber T/C Hawken I found in a pawn shop for $149. I purchased it on layaway because that’s all I could afford. I could have bought something else on that same plan but didn’t realize there was a Muzzle Loading shop a couple of towns over until it was time to buy supplies. Hindsight, I suppose!

Even back then, it seemed like more 50s were being produced by the “Factories” than any other caliber. It was accurate for both Target work and Deer or Elk Hunting. It could ring the Gong on a Trail Walk. Would you rather depend on your hard-of-hearing friends to confirm you hit with a 40-cal or watch it swing when hit with a 50? It was inexpensive to shoot. I don’t know if this is a modern thing or not, but most folks I’ve heard from lately seem to feel that bigger is better. They wouldn’t be caught in the woods with anything less than a 54, with 58 being better, especially on Big Game like elk and bear!

One thing about the 50, under normal conditions I can walk into just about any store that sells shooting supplies and find components to keep it fed.

I’ve been doing this since the 80s so I’m up there in age now and so are most of the people I shoot with. Many desire lightweight, low-recoil guns to keep the shots enjoyable. Now, having said that, there ARE a few companies doing really well, Kibler Long Rifles and Tennessee Valley Muzzleloading. While you can order just about any caliber, these barrels are over 40”! Even if they’re lightweight, that muzzle HAS to strain the lower back some.

Well, that’s my story and I’m sticking to it.

Thanks!

Walt

I see it as being convenient. If you go hunting and need bullets or something, many if not most stores have 50 cal bullets to sell. Other calibers have to be bought online off the internet. Same for the guns too. They seem to only sell 50 cal guns at the stores anymore. Pyrodex and 777 have pellets you can get to make loading even easier too.

Yes indeed y'all have put some great info in this Thread. Plus that many have found the box stores n bigger Outdoor stores order what the ML Companies push in calibers. Harder to get anything local, so most have to have things shipped to them.

Yes indeed y'all have put some great info in this Thread. Plus that many have found the box stores n bigger Outdoor stores order what the ML Companies push in calibers. Harder to get anything local, so most have to have things shipped to them.
Yes sir, Smoke. Due to the lack of stores that carry trad ML nowadays, unless one has actually seen a ML that belonged to someone else, its check them out on the net and buyers beware.

With the newer trend being inlines, I do not expect this to change any time soon.

That's one reason why I'll most likely be going to the KY ML Rifle show next weekend. Hope to see some old style KY rifles, especially some rock sparkers.

I’ll weigh in here…I’ve killed about 4 mule deer bucks with 54 cal round balls atop max charges (tightly patched, wonderwads, swaged balls) 120 yds longest shot….works great. I consider it the minimum out west here for deer and antelope shooting round balls.

Fall of 2022, I drew a ”once-in-a-lifetime“ resident Nevada elk tag, I chose a 45 cal in-line with a 240gr .400 caliber PR “dead center” polymer tipped all lead bullet…a 200yd gun/load setup…. I placed my bullet right where I aimed at 83yds…double lung shot my 340 bull and he walked about 40yds before he fell over.

My hunting partners all felt I was undergunned with the 45 and 400 cal conicals…my thinking was better BC flatter trajectory would be the advantage for proper bullet placement…in 50 years of hunting I observed that an “underpowered“ bullet in the exact right place kills as well as a magnum placed “in the vicinity“.

my 13 cents worth…
What's your favorite 54 rb load. I will be deer and elk hunting with my T/C Hawken 54.
MikeW

I started this hobby back about 1986. There were still dozens of manufacturers and importers. You could find about anything from 32 caliber to 72. As years went by, the numbers dwindled in participants AND companies. Both CVA and Thompson Center went strictly to Inlines. They and other gun makers like Traditions decided to only produce 50 caliber guns, making it the Industry Standard. Medium twist barrels (1-48”) could shoot either ball or bullet well. Traditions has cut back on its offerings with many models being discontinued. However, they still make the 32-caliber Crockett Rifle. Lyman has left the Muzzle Loading arena altogether causing Investarm to market for themselves. Pedersoli still has a variety of calibers to choose from.

I started with a 50 Caliber T/C Hawken I found in a pawn shop for $149. I purchased it on layaway because that’s all I could afford. I could have bought something else on that same plan but didn’t realize there was a Muzzle Loading shop a couple of towns over until it was time to buy supplies. Hindsight, I suppose!

Even back then, it seemed like more 50s were being produced by the “Factories” than any other caliber. It was accurate for both Target work and Deer or Elk Hunting. It could ring the Gong on a Trail Walk. Would you rather depend on your hard-of-hearing friends to confirm you hit with a 40-cal or watch it swing when hit with a 50? It was inexpensive to shoot. I don’t know if this is a modern thing or not, but most folks I’ve heard from lately seem to feel that bigger is better. They wouldn’t be caught in the woods with anything less than a 54, with 58 being better, especially on Big Game like elk and bear!

One thing about the 50, under normal conditions I can walk into just about any store that sells shooting supplies and find components to keep it fed.

I’ve been doing this since the 80s so I’m up there in age now and so are most of the people I shoot with. Many desire lightweight, low-recoil guns to keep the shots enjoyable. Now, having said that, there ARE a few companies doing really well, Kibler Long Rifles and Tennessee Valley Muzzleloading. While you can order just about any caliber, these barrels are over 40”! Even if they’re lightweight, that muzzle HAS to strain the lower back some.

Well, that’s my story and I’m sticking to it.

Thanks!

Walt
My Kibler SMR in 45 is like a feather handling wise , how ever that's ( weight heavy ) if you count the stool I have to pack for loading .5ft/7in doesn't work for me standing on ground level ! Perhaps my spurs could over come that being in a tree or maybe using it for balancing walking a rope /Ed

H&R SideKick, T/C Impact and Impact SB. All 50s BUTT!!! I shoot 45 (.451) in them.
Barnes Spit-Fire T-EZ flat base 290gr.
154052.jpg

[jordanpetersonvoice]Now, go clean your room.[/jordanpetersonvoice]

What's your favorite 54 rb load. I will be deer and elk hunting with my T/C Hawken 54.
MikeW
I’m reluctant to answer…first off my twist rate is 1:72 or 1:75 deep cut rifling…
In a clean dry bore I load 140grs. of 2f, a dry felt wonder wad then a tightly fitted lightly lubed thick pillow ticking patch around a .535 swaged ball….that’s the cold clean barrel 1st shot hunting load…the rare follow up shot is the same but with a .530 ball
Whompum real hard under 80 yds and whompum just regular hard out to 125yds.

That TC barrel will likely start skipping the rifling around 80-85 grs of powder…I’ve owned them…the TCs 50and 54s simply don’t have the correct rifling for loads like mine…TCs do shoot their maxiballs acceptably well and roundballs well with lighter loads.

Last edited:
I’m reluctant to answer…first off my twist rate is 1:72 or 1:75 deep cut rifling…
In a clean dry bore I load 140grs. of 2f, a dry felt wonder wad then a tightly fitted lightly lubed thick pillow ticking patch around a .535 swaged ball….that’s the cold clean barrel 1st shot hunting load…the rare follow up shot is the same but with a .530 ball
Whompum real hard under 80 yds and whompum just regular hard out to 125yds.

That TC barrel will likely start skipping the rifling around 80-85 grs of powder…I’ve owned them…the TCs 50and 54s simply don’t have the correct rifling for loads like mine…TCs do shoot their maxiballs acceptably well and roundballs well with lighter loads.
I should have stated that I had it rebored to 54 with a 1:66 twist.
MikeW

Latest posts

Back