.50 sabots with .458 bullets

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

10gaugemag

Reaction score
Has anybody started using the 50 caliber sabots for the .458 bullet?

If so what were results, bullets used, game hunted and etc??

I’ve used the MMP orange sabots and 300 gr .458 Barnes Bullets (and years ago the 400 gr) and really liked them. Killed a couple deer with the 300s in a Savage 10ml 24twist. That bullet is a well-liked load in the Savages. The 400s never grouped well in that twist barrel for me. Maybe in a faster twist.

Were the 400 grain bullets the Original with lead or were these an all copper and long for weight?

I’ve just recently been trying the Hornady hollow point 300 gr in the orange harvester sabot . Of all things they group well in a Traditions tracker.

I’ve just recently been trying the Hornady hollow point 300 gr in the orange harvester sabot . Of all things they group well in a Traditions tracker.
Kind of what I have been thinking if I decide to mess with a different load in the off season.

Maybe a 350 grain of some sort too.

My ranges are short in super thick brush so I like maximum weight and a large hole for leakage.

Kind of what I have been thinking if I decide to mess with a different load in the off season.

My ranges are short in super thick brush so I like maximum weight and a large hole for leakage.
Those 300XTPs will give you large holes for certain. Get them up around 1800-2200 fps and they are devastating.

Last edited:
I’ve used my cast 405gr flat based lee mold with the harvester orange and mmp orange in 50cal 28 twist apexes and optima elete and they shot very well. I also tried the.458 hornady 250gr gmx and they shot well too.

I’ve been using a .458 350gr copper bullet designed for subsonic .45/70 use. Matched with an orange crush rib sabot and 90grV of BH209, it’s been very accurate and perfect on deer.

Sized just enough so they work good in a .50x.458 sabot? For your bore of course.
They size so easy if you have several dies and sabots you can mix and match.....Like .454 in a MMP 3Petal EZ if its too loose or .454 in a 50x458 sabot if its too tight. I have sized them down to sabotless sizes too in a couple steps so its easier on the jacket.

They size so easy if you have several dies and sabots you can mix and match.....Like .454 in a MMP 3Petal EZ if its too loose or .454 in a 50x458 sabot if its too tight. I have sized them down to sabotless sizes too in a couple steps so its easier on the jacket.
how did they shoot sabotless? smokeless or smoke?

Back