500 yard target

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

X-ring

Reaction score
This is a facsimile of a target I shot in a match at Cadillac Mi. on Sept. 2. 94-3X, Regulation MR 65 target, 30 inch aiming black, Knight 500 with 20 minute sight base, Nikon 3.5-14 scope set at 10X, 70 grains of BH 209 BY WEIGHT, .060 poly wad, Fury 300 gr. .452 star tip sized to fit bore, Fed 209A primer, fired from prone X-sticks. Fishtailing headwind, 4 wind flags out, all pointing in a different direction. Up to 4 sighting shots allowed then 10 shots for score in a 30 minute time limit. One damp patch followed by one dry patch after each shot. The low right shots were caused by some mystery condition that totally escaped me. You guys who compete know what stupid wind will do to a bullet. Conditions can change in seconds. Anyways, I finished up with a 277-5X out of 300 possible for the day. It was my first time shooting a scoped in-line M/L in a match. Competitions are always fun. Those of you who may have thought about it should just try it. X

Attachments

• DSC_0149.JPG
    DSC_0149.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
You and 45-70 and anyone else are always welcome! X
This new knee and now some bacteria in my blood is preventing any shooting, for now. I'm going to miss shooting at Camp Atterbury this weekend. Next time you have a shoot at Lake City and modern inline rifles are involved, post it please. I have that prone cross sticks stuff "semi-figured" out. :)

This new knee and now some bacteria in my blood is preventing any shooting, for now. I'm going to miss shooting at Camp Atterbury this weekend. Next time you have a shoot at Lake City and modern inline rifles are involved, post it please. I have that prone cross sticks stuff "semi-figured" out. :)
Only the L.R. high power guys/F class shoot at Lake City. Modern in-line shooters would have to shoot with them or set up their own match. The B.P. Target rifle division shoots at Cadillac 200-600 yds. three times a year. Did you ever get any feedback/cost from Lake City about setting up a match? I'd guess it would be rather pricey. The match fee at Cadillac is $25.00 a day per shooter. X

Very impressive. Our sport really needs more in-line shooting events to grow and stay alive. Please keep posting - upcoming event news sure will help. Thanks !
Thanks Sheriff, I'll post the match dates as soon as I get them! X

Only the L.R. high power guys/F class shoot at Lake City. Modern in-line shooters would have to shoot with them or set up their own match. The B.P. Target rifle division shoots at Cadillac 200-600 yds. three times a year. Did you ever get any feedback/cost from Lake City about setting up a match? I'd guess it would be rather pricey. The match fee at Cadillac is $25.00 a day per shooter. X
I've been so busy with medical issues it isn't a priority. My communication with them at the MTC was great and they also knew about my knee replacement and recovery time/s. Once I get medically fit again, I'll be right back into checking.

13" at 500 yards even with the "mystery" shots is better than I could do. Throw them 3 out and you have 7 shots in about 5". That's MOA all day. Congratulations.

Good shooting- what was your zero and what was rop out of curiosity?
Thank you. My rifle is zeroed at 200 yds. and have the number of come up "clicks" written down in my dope book to get to 300, 500, and 600 yards which are the distances we shoot at our mid-range competitions. I 'spose I could convert the number of clicks to minutes but it would only apply to my specific bullet weight and powder charge. What do you mean by rop? X

Lol that works too👍
OK. I checked my dope book. 300 gr. fury, 70 gr. weight 209, Fed.209A primer.
I have a 20 minute sight base on my Knight 500.
From my 200 yard zero I come up 24 minutes to hit the target at 500 yds.
I have no idea what the mid-range trajectory is. Never used ballistic charts. I just write down the come-ups in my dope book after sighting in at the different distances we shoot at. Old school. In NRA matches, you get 4 sighters before you must go for score. X

Back