500 Yards, STOCK 1:48 Twist TC Renegade .50 Cal

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Idaholewis

Reaction score
Yesterday’s short range accuracy test with the Ole STOCK TC Renegade .50 Cal showed me PLENTY enough to Head for Some distance :) The Old Renegade was up for the Challenge :lewis:

The Video

The Gong is 500 Yards, Ranged with my Leica 1600 Rangefinder
yBJROpT.jpg

a2QwYi4.jpg

BACO .492-450 Swaged Cupped Base Paper Patch Bullets, 80 Grains of Swiss 2F Powder, 1/8 Wool Felt .54 Cal Wads
XeIw1tv.jpg

3 Shots Measure 4“ inches, That is SUB MOA at 500 Yards with a BONE STOCK 48 Twist TC Renegade :) These Old STOCK Side Hammer Guns are VERY VERY CAPABLE Fellas :lewis: They just need the Right Components, and Someone to Get behind em, and “Drive“ Them
BAhTopB.jpg

Nice shooting and video. I might have to try some of those BACO PP bullets in my top secret winter project ;) . (which I now have taken possession of)......

They will shoot in it! I swear by these things :lewis:

Just watched the 500 yard video…WOW! I watched the other ones when they came out, as well. I don’t know that any of us would shoot as well as you, but you have certainly shared all of the tips and tricks we would need to do so.

Thank you, and please keep making your videos and sharing your knowledge on the forums!

‘Poet

Also, have you tried a patched roundball at that distance? Or maybe the question should be, “What is the farthest you have accurately shot a patched roundball?”

Thanks again!

‘Poet

I have Shot and Recovered .490 Balls out to 600 Yards in a 10-12 Foot Dirt Bank. I was trying to Hit my gong but never did, There was some wind kicked up and ended my Shooting so I can’t speak of Accuracy. 200 Yards is the farthest i have Shot Roundball accurately

Here is 1 of the .490 Balls i recovered at 600 Yards, It’s safe to say that this is the end of the line, the Ball doesn’t have much left here, Stil wouldn’t want hit with it though :)
57i1DQ9.jpg

Another good video, thank you lewis. Shooting for me has been limited. Oregon still hasn’t had any rain. With fires going I am kinda scared to even drive the truck into the woods. Might get some rain this weekend. Hopefully it will bring us into fall.

Great video! Thank you.

I'll have to look for a mold of that bullet. I'm impressed. I've got a .50 TC Hawken and had no idea it could do that. Guess I'll have to invest in some sights like you've got.

Did you polish the bore of the Renegade?

Patched ball at extremely long distances is possible. The limiting factors are going to be....

1. Ball Weight, or mass. Anything under a .58 caliber is going to require some extraordinary shooting skills, and no small measure of cooperation from Mother Nature.

2. A much slower twist than 1:48"

3. Larger powder charges than the ones Idaholewis is using for the 0.495" diameter ball in the .50 caliber barrel of the Renegade.

Just for informational purposes a 30" long, .62 caliber, Forsyth rifled barrel, with 0.006" deep square bottom grooves, a 1:96" to 1:144" rate of twist, and powder charges ranging from 120 grains to 200 grains; is fully capable of humane hunting kills out to 200 yards with a pure lead ball weighing approximately 340 grains.

Bump the bore diameter up to 0.672" (16 bore){435 grain ball}, or 0.690" (14 bore){471 grain ball} and you are talking about English Sporting rifles that in the mid-to-late 19th Century killed everything in the world that was capable of killing a hunter right back. Elephant, rhinoceros, Cape buffalo, lion, hippopotamus, leopard, tiger, polar bear, brown bear, grizzly bear, Asian water buffalo, American bison. You name it, and a patched ball out of a Forsyth rifled barrel killed it.

Excellent eyesight, high quality iron sights, and a very good rifleman, are going to be needed for 500 yard plus patched ball shooting.

And, Idaholewis is correct, I would not want to be struck with one of his 0.495" diameter pure lead balls at 500 yards. Gonna hurt real bad.

Yesterday’s short range accuracy test with the Ole STOCK TC Renegade .50 Cal showed me PLENTY enough to Head for Some distance :) The Old Renegade was up for the Challenge :lewis:

The Video

The Gong is 500 Yards, Ranged with my Leica 1600 Rangefinder
yBJROpT.jpg

a2QwYi4.jpg

BACO .492-450 Swaged Cupped Base Paper Patch Bullets, 80 Grains of Swiss 2F Powder, 1/8 Wool Felt .54 Cal Wads
XeIw1tv.jpg

3 Shots Measure 4“ inches, That is SUB MOA at 500 Yards with a BONE STOCK 48 Twist TC Renegade :) These Old STOCK Side Hammer Guns are VERY VERY CAPABLE Fellas :lewis: They just need the Right Components, and Someone to Get behind em, and “Drive“ Them
BAhTopB.jpg

That’s the best “gong” ever, for BP anyway...

Patched ball at extremely long distances is possible. The limiting factors are going to be....

1. Ball Weight, or mass. Anything under a .58 caliber is going to require some extraordinary shooting skills, and no small measure of cooperation from Mother Nature.

2. A much slower twist than 1:48"

3. Larger powder charges than the ones Idaholewis is using for the 0.495" diameter ball in the .50 caliber barrel of the Renegade.

Just for informational purposes a 30" long, .62 caliber, Forsyth rifled barrel, with 0.006" deep square bottom grooves, a 1:96" to 1:144" rate of twist, and powder charges ranging from 120 grains to 200 grains; is fully capable of humane hunting kills out to 200 yards with a pure lead ball weighing approximately 340 grains.

Bump the bore diameter up to 0.672" (16 bore){435 grain ball}, or 0.690" (14 bore){471 grain ball} and you are talking about English Sporting rifles that in the mid-to-late 19th Century killed everything in the world that was capable of killing a hunter right back. Elephant, rhinoceros, Cape buffalo, lion, hippopotamus, leopard, tiger, polar bear, brown bear, grizzly bear, Asian water buffalo, American bison. You name it, and a patched ball out of a Forsyth rifled barrel killed it.

Excellent eyesight, high quality iron sights, and a very good rifleman, are going to be needed for 500 yard plus patched ball shooting.

And, Idaholewis is correct, I would not want to be struck with one of his 0.495" diameter pure lead balls at 500 yards. Gonna hurt real bad.
A dead calm day without heat mirage would help too...

I just picked up a TC renegade 50 cal 1 in 48 twist what is the best conical mold for this rifle I'm currently running fff triple 7 powder just switched over to the four Wing primers from the number 11 primers have you guys had any luck with these primers or is there a better primer for the bigger nipple out there I see you doing amazing things I'm just getting started

I just picked up a TC renegade 50 cal 1 in 48 twist what is the best conical mold for this rifle I'm currently running fff triple 7 powder just switched over to the four Wing primers from the number 11 primers have you guys had any luck with these primers or is there a better primer for the bigger nipple out there I see you doing amazing things I'm just getting started

I say my “i Bullet” From Accurate Bullet Molds.

Top 3 Shot group the other day with that Bullet in this same 1:48 Twist TC Renegade :lewis: The middle and Bottom Groups were Patched Roundball
8XHFsXG.jpg

I1kYXpQ.jpg

JQ4mjra.png

Latest posts

Back