.54 Cal 1:48 Twist Testing

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Idaholewis

Reaction score
I just fit a Nice BONE STOCK 1:48 Twist .54 Cal TC Hawken Barrel in the Renegade Stock the .50 i have been testing Has been in. I will Start Testing 1:48 Twist .54 Cal in the Next Day or 2 :lewis:

First 3 to be Tested, From left to Right: Lyman Plains, Bullshop “Look alike” Custom, And Custom WIDE Meplat Paper Patch affectionately called “LIL Heartbreaker”
QlbIKSdl.jpg

I got “LiL Heartbreaker” Paper Patch Fit up, It Slides down this Hawken Bore BEAUTIFUL, Just “Kisses/Holds” the Bore
h234HD0l.jpg

“LIL Heartbreaker”
MxT8RxCl.jpg

IxSQ97bl.jpg

Bullshop Look Alike Custom .54 Cal (One of my Favorites)
d3GnPU9l.jpg

s7Vw3DNl.jpg

And the Lyman Plains .54 Cal
yfIA48gl.jpg

4ta8PM0l.jpg

I'm going to predict that the Plains bullet will give you the best groups. I'm not saying the little Heart Breaker or the Bullshop clone won't group, I just think they are a little long to be ideal in the 1-48 twist. But hey I've been wrong before and hoping you will surprise me.

I'm going to predict that the Plains bullet will give you the best groups. I'm not saying the little Heart Breaker or the Bullshop clone won't group, I just think they are a little long to be ideal in the 1-48 twist. But hey I've been wrong before and hoping you will surprise me.

Just now walked in the Door from Shooting “LIL Heartbreaker” Paper Patch

5 Shots, It started Raining, i had to pack up and leave
CfQlMAkl.jpg

Interesting the one shot with the rod is n the gun hit a touch right... don’t really affect group size at all, but definitely to the right....

Here is the Video, I do these for another form of Record Keeping :lewis:

Plus it frees up space on the phone 😜. That’s why I started doing it. Got sick of having to decide which photo/videos to delete to make room for a new one...

Lewis, I am on the verge of ordering a mold for the Lyman Great Plains bullet in .54 Caliber. For several years my go to in my TC Thunderhawk was the Hornady Great Plains 425 grain. Sadly those are no longer available. I would love to know how The Lyman compares to the Hornady bullet?

I have a mold for the TC Maxi Ball in .54 caliber. It shoots well, but I really like the Great Plains bullet better.

Thanks in advance!

Last edited:
Lewis, I am on the verge of ordering a mold for the Lyman Great Plains bullet in .54 Caliber. For several years my go to in my TC Thunderhawk was the Hornady Great Plains 425 grain. Sadly those are no longer available. I would love to know how The Lyman compares to the Hornady bullet?

I have a mold for the TC Maxi Ball in .54 caliber. It shoots well, but I really like the Great Plains bullet better.

Thanks in advance!

The Lyman Great Plains in .54 Cal is an AWESOME Bullet, and 1 that I HIGHLY Advise. Both the .50 and .54 Cal Lyman Plains are as good as it Gets in my Honest Opinion. You won’t go Wrong with that Bullet :lewis:

Lewis, that's pretty much what I expected you'd say. I thought you were pretty fond of that bullet.

I just completed my order.

You WON’T regret that Bullet! It’s a GOOD One :lewis:

Here it is my GM LRH 1:28 Twist, The Lyman Plains Starts at 3:20

I didn’t realize how bad of a Complainer i am til i watched my own Video above :rolleyes: :roll:

The .54 Cal Really isn’t all that Bad Recoil Wise, BUT in the Renegade Stock my Cheek Bone Gets Hit Pretty Hard! It’s a LOT to do with how i Shoot (Deep Cheek Weld) Just my Style, And What’s Comfortable for me.

how you keep paper from sticking sometimes in grooves

Bob, I have never had a Problem with them Sticking, My Papers “Shuck Away” Immediately upon Exiting. I have Several PP Bullets that i intentionally Left Grooves in.

Col. E.H. Harrison Had Better Luck With PP Bullets that Had Grooves, Take his .30 Cal Paper Patch Bullet For Example, Which Became the NRA Paper Patch Bullet. I have his Bullet

ES5HABLl.jpg

nBcRHXEl.jpg

i had some that did in my cartridge rifle

What Paper are you using? Is it the Old 25% Cotton Onion Skin Stuff?

I tested This Wood Fiber Stuff HARSH Sized and it WON’T Stick NO MATTER What. My Old 25% Cotton Onion Skin Would Stick Nearly EVERYTIME when i HARSH Sized (Why i Quit Paper Patching that Way) This Wood Fiber Onion Skin Paper is the Slickest Paper i have Ever seen, and Tested. I even had a Bullet Slide out of the Paper Jacket 1 time and end up in my Gun Case, I shot the Rifle And Immediately Realized Something was Wrong? I had a Hunch what it is, i opened the Gun Case and Sure Enough, There was my Bullet
https://www.thepapermillstore.com/paper-mills/the-paper-mill-store/fidelity-onion-skin

Last edited:
Back