.54 Cal, 500 Yards

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Idaholewis

Reaction score
After yesterday’s Sight in, and Group shoot with the Ole Stock TC Renegade 1:48 Twist .54 Cal I couldn’t resist trying 500 Yards with it :) I was able to TAG it :lewis: But i had a Sight issue happening that had me fighting it, You will see what i mean in the Video. In short, These Lyman 57SMLs are not much of a Sight when you Elevate them this much, There is WAY to much Windage Play. I can’t stress enough how important it is to have good Quality sights if you are Really serious about this Stuff, you can definitely swing at these Yardages with the Lyman 57, But they are BADLY Lacking for this stuff.

Now that I know exactly what was Happening I am confident i could go back and TAG Steel Over & Over with it

500 Yards and .54 Cal aren’t common numbers you hear together :) The Ole Gal WHOPS The Steel HARD :lewis:it also WHOPS Me Hard, These .54s have a Harsher Recoil

Same spot i just Shot the .50 Cal STOCK 48 Twist Renegade the other day
cbJsAyf.jpg

The Bullet i used, My “i Bullet” Accurate Molds #54-485i, 500 Grains Cast of PURE Lead
UDTbBOw.jpg

I don't think the original designer of the Lyman 57 receiver sight was thinking much past 300 yards as a maximum distance that someone might try using it on a regular basis.

The fact that you can stretch it out to 500 yards is pretty amazing.

Another impressive and inspiring video.

Good to see that you covered the hood of your vehicle before you shot. A friend was trying out his new smoke pole years ago and chose to use the hood of his truck as a shooting table. As he fired the first shot he also blazed the Ford hood, what should have been a happy day turned sad.

Another impressive and inspiring video.

Good to see that you covered the hood of your vehicle before you shot. A friend was trying out his new smoke pole years ago and chose to use the hood of his truck as a shooting table. As he fired the first shot he also blazed the Ford hood, what should have been a happy day turned sad.
Grandson laid his AR15 over my 50 year old Kelty backpack. The carbine being about 6 inches shorter than the rifle he was used to shooting. Those birdcage flash suppressors are very effective. Blew a huge hole in the pack bag.:wall:

Nice shooting Lewis! I’m finally getting a chance to go out today, but I probably won’t shoot much. My boy has a tag that starts on Wednesday, so he will be the primary shooter today. I will take a few whacks though.
Edit: I hopefully have something interesting coming real soon.

Latest posts

Back