54 Caliber bullet sizer (?)

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jcnull2305

Reaction score
I've been looking at moulds for making my own .54's since it seems that it's probably better (or, becoming necessary) to make your own. I've been able to find moulds and presses and all that. The one thing I cannot find is a bullet sizer for .54 cals. I'll likely need .541, and .542.

Where do you guys source your sizers for .54's?

I've been looking at moulds for making my own .54's since it seems that it's probably better (or, becoming necessary) to make your own. I've been able to find moulds and presses and all that. The one thing I cannot find is a bullet sizer for .54 cals. I'll likely need .541, and .542.

Where do you guys source your sizers for .54's?

I have 4 of them for .54 Cal, a .533 (For Paper Patch) A .539, .541, and a .542

I got 2 of mine from Tennessee Bullet Molds (it’s my understanding that George of Tennessee Bullet Molds no longer Makes them) And my other 2 Are LEE Custom Sizers

Thanks, Lew. I found on Lee's sight where to order a custom sizer. 👍

They are kinda Spendy, Close to 50 Bucks Shipped, Their Shipping is Ridiculous, or use to be anyway. And they have a Fairly long Wait time, or did the last time I ordered a Sizer from them

That's all fine. I have time, just wanted to know where to find them. I have 0 (zero) equipment for casting, so I'll be starting from jump. Step one: find room in my shop for a casting station 😬

Lew, you should upload a sizing video. I need to see that. I just checked your YT channel, and didn't find one.

Possible bonus: From the Tennessee Bullet Molds Website (Tennessee Bullet Molds LLC)

"We make sizing dies to use on a standard reloading press. These are the push through type and are presently available in any diameter over .375. " They can provide push rods (whatever those are) too.

The owner, George Gomph is a Really nice Guy, I have spoken with him a Few times. His sizers are Uniquely Different, I have learned them and i do Great with them, But in all honesty i MUCH prefer my Lee Style Push Through Sizers. George’s are Really Short, The Push Rod Setup utilized a Common Shell Holder, They are made of a SUPER Hard Plastic/Polymer Stuff? I can say that they are Extremely TOUGH, I have not Hurt mine and i have put some Serious FORCE On it.

My biggest Complaint is the Short length of the Tennessee Bullet Mold Dies, The Die does not Protrude Through the Press, Therefore I can not Start a Bullet in the Die with my Thumb and index Finger like i Can my Lee Sizers (I don’t always do that, But i like the option to) I am Forced to place the Bullet on Top of the TALL Push Rod, Which can be a Balancing Act, Then hope it lines up with the Die opening as i can not See it.

Again, I personally MUCH prefer the Lee Push Through Sizers. Can’t tell can ya? :oops: I have Several more than this, These are the ones i use the Most
g1bOWTel.jpg

Okay, I need to add to my confusion. On their site, Lee lists the "Bullet Sizing Kit," which mounts to a reloading press, and can be had in sizes up to .578". Lee also lists a "Breech Lock Bullet Sizing Kit," which can only be had in diameters up to .520". I'm not really certain which I would need, but the Breech Lock blah, blah, blah appears to be an entire system unto itself.

And anyway, how do Bullet Sizers Work? What do they do? I know they set the bullet to a certain, pre-determined size, but do sizers do so by removing material from the bullet - shaving away minuscule amounts of lead - thus changing the weight of the projectile, or do sizers compress the projectile to the correct size?

Either way, it means lube in, lube out, right?

Help Me!!!!

You right that you are pushing a bullet thru a predetermined sizing die . If your bullet is slightly out of round it will often help correct it. If your bullet is only slightly oversized it will I as you say "squeeze "it and you will end up with a slightly longer bullet that should be negligible. If you end up shaving lead ,then your trying to size a bullet that is too large. Depending on your lead hardness and how much smaller your trying to size your bullet it can "spring" back and he slightly larger than your intended size. Although possible to size a bullet down .010, you are always better sizing a bullet that is close to your intended size. Wow, I hope that was clear.

Another slight wrinkle from Lee, but in the end, not a huge deal. I emailed their customer support and was told that due to the popularity of the Breech Lock Bullet sizing kit, they are discontinuing the Regular Bullet sizing kits. Mostly because the breech lock ends up being lest expensive over the total as you only have to get the kit once, then interchange the die and punch for each new caliber. I was told that the info on their site regarding a maximum size of .520" for the Breech lock is incorrect, and that I can get the .541" and .542" sizers made - for $20 each - but those sizes won't be compatible with the bottle catcher adapter - which I don't care about as I don't want to risk damaging the heels on those soft lead bullets by dropping them into anything. So the kit costs $15, the regular stocked die and punch sets run $12 per, and the custom die and punch sets cost $20. All-in-all, less expensive than the original bullet sizing kits.

Sounds like a winner to me.

I wasn’t aware of Lee’s Breech Lock Sizing Setup til you mention it, I just Watched a YouTube Video of it. Basically The Same thing as the NOE Sizing Setup. I would go with Lee before NOE, I am NOT a Fan of NOE. If you try and Order a Product from NOE listed on his Site (I’m not talking Custom), And the product is not currently in Stock? He won’t Specifically make it for ya? He lists all kinds of Stuff, Bullet Molds, Sizer Stuff, Etc. But the ONLY way you can order anything from NOE is if it’s Currently in Stock (LOTS of his Stuff is OUT OF STOCK) and Even it shows that it’s in Stock, It’s stil not a Gaurantee, For example I bought a Used NOE 30 XCB Bullet Mold for my .308 Win CF Rifle, I wanted the Nose punch for it, I seen that NOE had 1 Lyman Style Nose Punch for my Bullet in Stock so i ordered it, Come to find out it was NOT in Stock, That thing took FOREVER to Get, in fact i had Forgotten about it? It finally showed up one Day. I’m NOT A FAN of NOE, and Will never Order anything else From him

Forgive my ignorance, but NOE?

Edit:

Disregard, Sir. Looked them up.

Seems like the Lee unit is a chicken dinner (as in: Winner. Winner)

Last edited:
I wonder if Swinglock will make a smooth sizing die in .54 caliber?

Yesterday, Tom at Swinglock was quoted here on another thread as to have stopped production of his smokeless muzzleloading rifles in favor of full time production on the sizing dies.

I have 4 of them for .54 Cal, a .533 (For Paper Patch) A .539, .541, and a .542

I got 2 of mine from Tennessee Bullet Molds (it’s my understanding that George of Tennessee Bullet Molds no longer Makes them) And my other 2 Are LEE Custom Sizers

I've spoken with George a number of times and have some of his molds and sizers and have Zero issues with them. That said, George has been having some health issues lately and is no longer in business and from what I've been told, all he has left is current inventory till it's sold out or someone buys the business.

We have a couple guys making and selling sizers in the North South Skirmish Association as we have to size boolits to the bore for competition purposes. Try this guy-
https://www.northeasttradeco.com/
There is also Tom Crone in the N-SSA. He doesn't have a website and I don't have his contact info handy. His stuff is top notch and he can make anything you want. His sizers are larger than George's in length and are designed to fit into a standard 7/8x14 reloading press and include a lock ring to set the sizer where you like. George's "pusher" is two different designs, pointed and flat, and made from a strong plastic. Tom's are made from steel.

I wouldn't mind trying the Lee but there are no sizes listed that fit my requirements. Tom can make anything you want and I tend to support my fellow N-SSA competitors. I wish George well and hope he can recover.

I wouldn't mind trying the Lee but there are no sizes listed that fit my requirements. Tom can make anything you want and I tend to support my fellow N-SSA competitors. I wish George well and hope he can recover.

Dave,

I was perusing George's website (Tennessee Bullet Molds), referenced in an above post, and there is no mention of being out of business. It is stated that they have moved locations, and are a small business, but nothing indicating that there is an issue.

Insofar as Lee is concerned, they make custom sizing dies in addition to the "regular" dies, and told me they could be had in, at least what I need, .541" and .542". There is a custom order page for not-stocked dies.

That being said, I very much like the idea of supporting my homies, so I definitely appreciate the information of other possible resources. I would appreciate you posting Tom Crone's contact info, as well.

Dave,

Wow, I just checked the Northeast Trade Co site you referenced! They have quite a bit of available options. But I have to ask, they list two types of sizers: Push through dies, which appear to be stepped smooth cylindrical tools, and Threaded sizers and punches that fit standard reloading presses. I can pretty much guess the function of the latter, and those are probably perfect for my needs, but what are the former? How are those employed?

call it my need to know.

p.s. Lewis, you should check out the NE Trade co site. They list a TON of dies

I've spoken with George a number of times and have some of his molds and sizers and have Zero issues with them. That said, George has been having some health issues lately and is no longer in business and from what I've been told, all he has left is current inventory till it's sold out or someone buys the business.

We have a couple guys making and selling sizers in the North South Skirmish Association as we have to size boolits to the bore for competition purposes. Try this guy-
https://www.northeasttradeco.com/
There is also Tom Crone in the N-SSA. He doesn't have a website and I don't have his contact info handy. His stuff is top notch and he can make anything you want. His sizers are larger than George's in length and are designed to fit into a standard 7/8x14 reloading press and include a lock ring to set the sizer where you like. George's "pusher" is two different designs, pointed and flat, and made from a strong plastic. Tom's are made from steel.

I spoke with George a few times as well, George is a DARN GOOD Guy! I wasn’t exactly sure which size i needed on a Certain Die? George Sent me 2 Consecutive Dies so i could Choose the Right Fit for my Needs, And then send him the other one Back, I ended up Buying Both Dies from him. Fact is, It said quite a lot about George’s Character to me, He was Willing to Trust a Total Stranger By sending me out 2 Dies unpaid For, to help me Get the Right Size Die. I have nothing but good to Say about George Gomph :lewis: And hope him Well, as well!

Latest posts

Back