.54 Conical: Anybody make one anymore?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hello all,

I am attepting to buy a .54 cal flintlock, 1:48 twist. It looks like neither Hornady nor Maxi-ball makes a conical in .54 anymore. I will try a ball and patch, but does anyone know of a different conical that might work? Anybody cast their own Lee Real bullets in .54 that they'd sell? The whole ball and patch thing has always scared me a little...But I will be taking shots at short range, sub-50 yards...

Parker Productions makes a .54 conical, but it doesn't fit well with any of the patches I have used in my .54. The patches I have tried have either been too thin or too thick. Using a mold and making your own is always an option but I don't want to go to all that work, I already reload and don't want to get into making bullets too.

You dont need to patch conicals if they have grease grooves. They just need some lube. Bullshop will send them out lubed and sized if you wish.

Hello all,

I am attepting to buy a .54 cal flintlock, 1:48 twist. It looks like neither Hornady nor Maxi-ball makes a conical in .54 anymore. I will try a ball and patch, but does anyone know of a different conical that might work? Anybody cast their own Lee Real bullets in .54 that they'd sell? The whole ball and patch thing has always scared me a little...But I will be taking shots at short range, sub-50 yards...
I got my last ,54 Maxis from TOW. Just checked and still available. My 1:48 shoots them very well.

Idaholewis designed a 54 version of his I bullet, get the mould from Accurate and cast your own. The I bullet is a much better design than the Maxi or real anyway. Good luck!

Don't be afraid of that .530 PRB, it's deadly, especially at the ranges you're talking about.

Parker Productions makes a .54 conical, but it doesn't fit well with any of the patches I have used in my .54. The patches I have tried have either been too thin or too thick. Using a mold and making your own is always an option but I don't want to go to all that work, I already reload and don't want to get into making bullets too.
Then you bought the wrong conical ,sell them or melt them down and learn casting. NO ONE uses a patch to make up for a mistake in sizing . I make 54 Lyman Plains (they engrave) upon loading , that is proper sizing (patches are for round balls ) . Just like the gun is made for black powder /subs and never smokeless you learn to use what is in common practice ,safer that way . Having a conical move off the powder is dangerous (pipe bomb) and sabots are used for smaller than bore 45 in a 50 and 50 in a 54 , so simple get bore dimension and get proper sized conical ./Ed

hornady great plains bullets..Funny 1/2 hour ago i was looking for something and see them there on a shelf from yesteryear.

Here’s a direct link:
https://www.muzzleloading-bullets.com/product/54-caliber-525-grains/
“No Dog In Hunt,” though I have bought sabot bullets from Dave. They are beautiful, but I haven’t shot any of them, yet. Dave was very responsive to my questions.

Thats a great looking bullet. I’ve bought 45 caliber bullets from him and they were just fine but I weighed and sorted them to eliminate another variable. This was quite a few years ago and that load book is up in the attic so I don’t know how much variation there was in weight but it was greater than I was comfortable with. I always check weight, whether I buy them or cast them myself.

Idaholewis designed a 54 version of his I bullet, get the mould from Accurate and cast your own. The I bullet is a much better design than the Maxi or real anyway. Good luck!
He's amazing! You happen to know what the Accurate catalog number was?

Hello all,

I use these. They are sized in both, .541 and .542. His .54, 485gr shoots really well in a 1:48 barrel. He makes a 525gr, but that may be pushing it a little bit.
https://www.muzzleloading-bullets.com/shop/

Hello all,

I use these. They are sized in both, .541 and .542. His .54, 485gr shoots really well in a 1:48 barrel. He makes a 525gr, but that may be pushing it a little bit.
https://www.muzzleloading-bullets.com/shop/

Latest posts

Back