.54 Renegade flinter

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Okies. I did a bit of work in the lock mortise. The pan gap is corrected to the point I can't get a piece of paper between it and the barrel. At some point I'll glass bed the lock to make sure all stays nice and tidy.
I JB'd the snockers out of the bore. Just to get any residual gremlins and burnish things a wee bit.
The set trigger is suicide light. By that I mean under a pound. I don't know of a way to adjust the weight of pull. There's also virtually no creep, even with the screw practically run out. Gladly, the unset is a very nice 4 pounds and crisp.
As an afterthought, the lock plate has the typical TC bow/ distortion. Overtightening the lock bolt can crack the stock. I'm thinking of, in essence, pillar bedding the lock bolt. Think a flanged tube inletted into the lock bolt hole, with the flange flush on the entry side and the other end trimmed so that when the bolt is tightened the tube takes the brunt of the compression force and not the wood.
This is probably unnecessary on a Hawken or Renegade, but might be more than useful for a .45 Cherokee or Seneca.
I'm very please with my Renegade. She's let me scratch my tinker itch, without going nuts, and is on one the nicest fitted/ finished ones I've seen. Excepting the pan/ flat issue. Same stock for cap or flint so something isn't going to be quite right...
Funny thing though. I'm fond of all my rifles, but my Firehawk and this Renegade are the two
I would say are FUN to shoot. This .54 is an absolute HOOT. I'm actually shooting her better than I do my long rifle...
Let the games begin!

Latest posts

Back