54bullets

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vt mike

Reaction score
anybody have any experience with No Excuses bullets in 54cal at 535 gr >? or the company's bullits in general ? they're the only ones I have found who carries 54s

anybody have any experience with No Excuses bullets in 54cal at 535 gr >? or the company's bullits in general ? they're the only ones I have found who carries 54s
I like them , work well for me,3” group at 100 yards!, haven’t tried bull shop yet,but I’m going to! I had 3 boxes of the old 490 grain Buffalo bullets they were the best!! Idaho Lewis knows his **** with the tc renagade though! Love the fourm! An welcome from PA

+1 on the BullShop. Dan knows his stuff. I have a .54 cal, 1:48 twist Hawken, and Dan designed a 400 grain bullet for that twist rate that works.

I'd still be getting my bullets from BullShop if I hadn't started learning all about casting my own.

Dan recommends going .001" over land diameter to make for easier loading, even with a fouled barrel, but whick will allow a good purchase on the rifling so the bullet will stay put.

To measure my .54 Hawken, I placed a brass rod, coated in electrical tape in the bore. I applied a good coating of lube to the bore, and started a bullet, pushing it down 4-5 inches. I then tilted the muzzle up and down, allowing the brass rowell to gently knock the slug out. I used calipers to measure the distance between lands (.0541"), added the .001", and boom, bullet measurement.

Inlines are easier as you can knock the bullet our from the breech end with a wood dowell.

Other folk here may have a better method, though. There's people here who have more experience than I.

Latest posts

Back