58 cal Thompson Center MAXI Ball or Maxi Hunter Mould

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

roundballorconical

Reaction score
In the past have anyone seen or have knowledge if Thompson ever made any 58 Cal Maxi ball or Maxi hunter moulds. I got a NEI 58 Cal Maxi ball that casts some 620 grains bullets and are just a bit tight for my muzzleloaders. I have looked on ebay and gunbroker on and off for last 10 years have not found anything.

Thanks for your input and your time

In the past have anyone seen or have knowledge if Thompson ever made any 58 Cal Maxi ball or Maxi hunter moulds. I got a NEI 58 Cal Maxi ball that casts some 620 grains bullets and are just a bit tight for my muzzleloaders. I have looked on ebay and gunbroker on and off for last 10 years have not found anything.

One are you using pure lead as that"s important and have you slugged your barrel ? If it"s close you should be able to start and engrave with a short starter ,like a Lee REAL with no problem.

It is my understanding through a lot of Research in the Past that TC never did Offer .58 Cal Maxi “Hunter” Mold (Possibly a Maxi Ball Mold? But i have NEVER Seen, nor heard of anyone that actually had one) They Did Sell the Bullets, Both Maxi Ball, and Maxi “Hunter”

below are a list of facts on t/c mould blocks i hope they are found to be useful.
1. T/C DID NOT MAKE A 58 CAL MAXI HUNTER MOULD FOR SALE, BUT THEY DO SELL THE CAST BULLETS.
2. T/C MOULDS WERE MADE FOR A SHORT TIME BY SHILOH, UNTIL BUSINESS PROBLEMS BETWEEN T/C AND SHILOH ERUPTED.
3. T/C ALSO HAD FOR A EXTREMELY SHORT PERIOD OHAUS PRODUCE MOULDS FOR THEM.
3. T/C WOULD PUT NEW LABELS OVER OLD ONES ON THE MOULD BOXES WHEN THEY NEEDED TO. SO SOME OF THE BOXES HAVE A LABEL UNDER, CAREFULLY REMOVING THE TOP LABEL SOMETIMES REVEALS RARE EARLY BOXES OR MISPRINTS.
4. T/C MOULD HANDLES ORIGINALLY HAD BRASS FINISHES, WHICH USUALLY WORE AWAY EASILY. NEW HANDLES WITH BRASS ARE RARE.
5. OLD SHILOH MOULDS AND HANDLES WILL INTERCHANGE WITH T/C MOULDS AND HANDLES.

One are you using pure lead as that"s important and have you slugged your barrel ? If it"s close you should be able to start and engrave with a short starter ,like a Lee REAL with no problem.
Yes pure lead, The barrel is a made by investarms of Italy. It requires a love tap with a mallet to get it started. Being a side hammer I get nervous about the tight fit. If I ever had to pull a bullet from the barrel being pure lead I'm afraid if it getting stuck in the barrel.

It is my understanding through a lot of Research in the Past that TC never did Offer .58 Cal Maxi “Hunter” Mold (Possibly a Maxi Ball Mold? But i have NEVER Seen, nor heard of anyone that actually had one) They Did Sell the Bullets, Both Maxi Ball, and Maxi “Hunter”

below are a list of facts on t/c mould blocks i hope they are found to be useful.
1. T/C DID NOT MAKE A 58 CAL MAXI HUNTER MOULD FOR SALE, BUT THEY DO SELL THE CAST BULLETS.
2. T/C MOULDS WERE MADE FOR A SHORT TIME BY SHILOH, UNTIL BUSINESS PROBLEMS BETWEEN T/C AND SHILOH ERUPTED.
3. T/C ALSO HAD FOR A EXTREMELY SHORT PERIOD OHAUS PRODUCE MOULDS FOR THEM.
3. T/C WOULD PUT NEW LABELS OVER OLD ONES ON THE MOULD BOXES WHEN THEY NEEDED TO. SO SOME OF THE BOXES HAVE A LABEL UNDER, CAREFULLY REMOVING THE TOP LABEL SOMETIMES REVEALS RARE EARLY BOXES OR MISPRINTS.
4. T/C MOULD HANDLES ORIGINALLY HAD BRASS FINISHES, WHICH USUALLY WORE AWAY EASILY. NEW HANDLES WITH BRASS ARE RARE.
5. OLD SHILOH MOULDS AND HANDLES WILL INTERCHANGE WITH T/C MOULDS AND HANDLES.
Wow many thanks for the detailed list. I must say you are a dream killer. Looks like I will slug it and have a custom mould made.
Back when T/C made 58 cal 555 Maxi they were a good fit and shot well, Well that's life.

Any suggestions on who would make a mould for this?

Wow many thanks for the detailed list. I must say you are a dream killer. Looks like I will slug it and have a custom mould made.
Back when T/C made 58 cal 555 Maxi they were a good fit and shot well, Well that's life.

Any suggestions on who would make a mould for this?

Right here, TC Clone with Shallower Lube Grooves (A good thing in my opinion! Maxi Balls are UNNECESSARY Lube Pigs)

http://www.accuratemolds.com/bullet_detail.php?bullet=58-575M-D.png
7fllur5l.jpg

Last edited:
Looks like that will work, While I'm spending money I probably should look at some 50 and 54 designs other projects.

Many thanks again
Why not just use the mold you have and size down the bullets to fit your bore? This would require buying the proper sizing die to fit in a standard reloading press. Or, if you're handy and have the tools, buy a Lee .510" sizing die (the largest they sell) for about $20 and hone it out to the desired size.
You have secretly been wanting to buy a metal lathe, right?

Why not just use the mold you have and size down the bullets to fit your bore? This would require buying the proper sizing die to fit in a standard reloading press. Or, if you're handy and have the tools, buy a Lee .510" sizing die (the largest they sell) for about $20 and hone it out to the desired size.
You have secretly been wanting to buy a metal lathe, right?
A very good thought, I will have to call some buddies to see if the can modify one or a couple of them for me.

Back