6.5 Carcano in Black Powder for the Vetterli

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Half-Cocked

Reaction score
Hey guys I just purchased something very special. An old Vetterli rifle that has been chambered in 6.5 Carcano.

I thought it'd be a good thing to get because I already have five Carcano Calvary rifles. I'm addicted to these vintage things. Since I bought the 5-carcanos I had to reload because there is no ammo to be found. I already had the dies the bullets. So the Vetterli chambered in 6.5 made sense.

If you guys know anything about the Vetterli it was originally a black powder rifle however it was chambered in a much larger cartridge. The barrels were resleved to accept 6.5 Carcano ammo. These guns are still considered not safe to shoot with factory or military surplus 6.5 Carcano. You must hand load with reduced charges. The gas mitigation systems on these rifles are very poor and they will explode with a high charge.

I have always wanted something that shoots a black powder cartridge. Originally I was thinking 45-70 now I'm thinking Vetterli. Well more than thinking I already bought the thing.

My question is this is anybody had any experience loading a 6.5 Carcano with black powder? Here are some things that I know. Number one fill the case and make sure that the bullet is sitting on the powder with no airspace.

Another question can I use pyrodex or triple 7? Any other tips for loading black powder cartridges?

Thanks everybody. Here's a sample picture of the gun that I bought.

800px-Vetterli-Vitali.jpg

Why don't you hand load with reduced charges of smokeless??
Shooting that rifle with BP would be an exercise in futility. X

Why don't you hand load with reduced charges of smokeless??
Shooting that rifle with BP would be an exercise in futility. X
That is another option. However... how reduced? and what is my case capacity going to be with the h335 that I have? I don't want to risk a jump fire with too little powder in the case.

It's my understanding that when these things were chambered in a larger caliber originally they were using a black powder cartridge.

I think my regular carcano's get 27 grains if I'm not mistaken.

Last edited:
only thing you need to remember loading black powder is no air gaps, must have bullet setting on powder

That is another option. However... how reduced? and what is my case capacity going to be with the h335 that I have? I don't want to risk a jump fire with too little powder in the case.

It's my understanding that when these things were chambered in a larger caliber originally they were using a black powder cartridge.

I think my regular carcano's get 27 grains if I'm not mistaken.
Check some of the many loading manuals by lee, speer, hornady etc. or go on-line for loading info for carcano. They always list starting loads. X

I don't have any loading advice, however I did inherit one of these carcano rifles after grandpa passed. He acquired his in Sicily during the war . It was said that these surplus rifles were never shot and only dropped once. The were issued to the Italian military, who were not noted for being very good soldiers. At the time I received the gun the only supplier of ammo was Norma.At more than a dollar a round (1980 prices)it didn't get much use . I finally scrapped it.

Hey guys I just purchased something very special. An old Vetterli rifle that has been chambered in 6.5 Carcano.

I thought it'd be a good thing to get because I already have five Carcano Calvary rifles. I'm addicted to these vintage things. Since I bought the 5-carcanos I had to reload because there is no ammo to be found. I already had the dies the bullets. So the Vetterli chambered in 6.5 made sense.

If you guys know anything about the Vetterli it was originally a black powder rifle however it was chambered in a much larger cartridge. The barrels were resleved to accept 6.5 Carcano ammo. These guns are still considered not safe to shoot with factory or military surplus 6.5 Carcano. You must hand load with reduced charges. The gas mitigation systems on these rifles are very poor and they will explode with a high charge.

I have always wanted something that shoots a black powder cartridge. Originally I was thinking 45-70 now I'm thinking Vetterli. Well more than thinking I already bought the thing.

My question is this is anybody had any experience loading a 6.5 Carcano with black powder? Here are some things that I know. Number one fill the case and make sure that the bullet is sitting on the powder with no airspace.

Another question can I use pyrodex or triple 7? Any other tips for loading black powder cartridges?

Thanks everybody. Here's a sample picture of the gun that I bought.

View attachment 22243
Steinel Ammunition loads 6.5 Carcano in various bullet weights. They sell a lighter lead bullet load that is about half the mass of a normal load. That might be mild enough to shoot safely.

Latest posts

Back