75 yards with the Optima pistol

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MrTom

Reaction score
I was at the range for a bit with a nephew as he sighted in a shotgun for deer season and while I thought I was all wrapped up with shooting until after the season I brought the CVA Optima pistol along thinking I'd like to shoot a few beyond the 50 yards I have it sighted at. The kid set up a target stand at 75 yards so that's where I shot the pistol at. The gun was shooting the 225 grain, .44 cal XPB Barnes bullets in a green crush ribs ahead of 63 weighed grains of BH209 powder [90 grains by volume measure] lit with a blue box Winchester shot shell primer into a hair less than an inch at the 50 yard sight in mark. We had some wind to deal with but for the most part it was blowing straight down range at the targets from behind us. I ran three shots out there and figured what with the wind and my eyes it won't get any better than this at 75 yards for me. I was really amazed that I didn't have to allow for any drop.

cWtZamG.jpg

Its the bullets. I have shot four deer with XTPs in the .44 cal 240 grain using everything else the same. A couple of those deer were well outside of the 25yard zone I prefer to have them in for a pistol shot, about 40-45 yards. The 50 yard accuracy of the XTPs was about 1 1/2" for 3-5 shots. As soon as I began shooting the 225 XPB Barnes bullets the 50 yard groups shrunk to about 7/8" for 3-5 shots. I'm pretty happy with the 75 yard group and will have the pistol on stand with me each day this year along with the Accura. My goal is another buck with the handgun. And as you say mossy, I know now that the 75 yard mark is well within reach. I'm glad I made the trip to the range today. The nephew couldn't come remotely close to this group with his Savage 20 gauge bolt and hi dollar sabots and pricey scope.....I think he's jealous. lol

That's a nice group there Tom. Very nice indeed. We shoot the same basic load and I was surprised by how little drop there was last time I shot mine at 100 yards. Pretty much can hold dead-on out to 100 and it's right where it needs to be.

My optima pistol is as accurate as my accura v2 rifles at ranges under 100 yards... those pistols are sweet. Nice shooting!

Great shooting! I've been busy at work lately but now im getting time to get mine to the range to stretch it out a little. Hope i can shoot as well as you did, MrTom. 👍

Man, I've been wanted a BP pistol for about a year. That looks like lots of fun.
They Optima pistols are fun to shoot and hunt with. Surprisingly accurate as well. If you get the opportunity to pick one up, go for it. They're hard to find now.

As mentioned in another thread, I know where all of my guns shoot, including this one with the Barnes 225 grain XPB bullets. I just like hitting the range with my 240 grain XTPs and use the same identical sabot and powder charge and shoot just to stay in form. The XTPs will pattern only slightly from the Brnes and I shoot as is with no correction. The gun is just fun to shoot and after a couple of deer kills I have a lot of confidence in the weapon in the woods....every bit as much as I do in my Accura or Kodiak or Impact.

The Optima pistol looks serious right out of the box. Scope it and it looks deadly serious. And it is. Of any of the black powder only handguns, I'd put my money on this one.

I have been shooting 70grV BH209 and a 300 XTP and its giving me elbow pain and bad flinching. I have an old box of 100 .451 230 XTPs that Im going to switch to. See if i can get my flinch under control and tighten up my 50 yard group enough so i feel good about a move out to 75 yards.

I have been shooting 70grV BH209 and a 300 XTP and its giving me elbow pain and bad flinching. I have an old box of 100 .451 230 XTPs that Im going to switch to. See if i can get my flinch under control and tighten up my 50 yard group enough so i feel good about a move out to 75 yards.
I've played with some 300 gr bullet loads and I keep going back to the 225 gr xpb and the 240 xtp. The difference in recoil from the 300 gr bullet is quite noticeable and it translates over into my shooting. Plus, I haven't had any issues on deer using the lighter bullets. No need to punish myself physically if I don't have to.

I’ll be brief. After studying this firearm my first pet load is the Hornady .44 .430 265 FTC /green crush ribs. 50gr/wt blackhorn blue box primer. 5 shots to get 1” left @50. Will refine later. Shot/sighted 2 ml that day and pistol.
With rest or support I’m thinking maybe 100 yds if I do my job.
I lucked into the scope, very nice for application. Holster was break on eBay, they had 3. This could almost replace the 100 yd rifle.
BTW recoil not too bad on this old man.

Attachments

• 2E6D1B11-7DEE-4588-AC39-F00DFF6307E6.jpeg
    2E6D1B11-7DEE-4588-AC39-F00DFF6307E6.jpeg
    42 KB · Views: 13
  • DC62933F-10DB-4FC6-8281-022B37A2FCA9.jpeg
    DC62933F-10DB-4FC6-8281-022B37A2FCA9.jpeg
    39.6 KB · Views: 14
  • 4D3D1415-81EE-4AE0-A464-D489BF0C0992.png
    4D3D1415-81EE-4AE0-A464-D489BF0C0992.png
    178 KB · Views: 16

Latest posts